Los Porciones Texas Royalties

Posted in the Laredo Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Henderson Peter210

San Antonio, TX

#1 Aug 24, 2010
LAND GRANTS. The history of land grants in Texas is a long and complex one. The earliest grant was made by the Spanish crown to establish a mission and presidio in East Texas in 1716. In 1731 town lots in San Antonio de Béxar were granted to Canary Islanders, and by the mid-1700s larger livestock grants were being made along the San Antonio River valley. In later years, the titles were issued by the governor of the province, who received a small fee, as did the local officials who participated in the process. Ranching lands further away from the town were generally held informally in the early years of Spanish Texas, and only regularized in later years. Private land grants in what is now South Texas did not begin until the mid-eighteenth century. Settlers in the colonies founded by José de Escandón in South Texas requested individual land allocations as early as 1753, but not until 1767 did a Spanish royal commission began the work of surveying and granting possession of land to individual colonists at the Rio Grande villas of Laredo, Mier, Camargo, Revilla (later Guerrero), and Reynosa. The commissioners, Juan Armando de Palacio and José de Ossorio y Llamas, were instructed to survey the various settlements and jurisdictions, to distribute the land to individual settlers, and record all transactions. The land was to be divided on the basis of merit and seniority, with the colonists divided into three categories: original, old, and recent settlers. Due to the shortage of water and the importance of irrigation for agriculture in the region, the commissioners surveyed long, thin strips of land, each with narrow frontage on a water course. These elongated quadrangles were known as porciones. The porciones in each of the five settlements was assigned a number. Many of the grants, especially the larger ones, also acquired names, usually derived from saints' names, physical or natural characteristics of the region, or events. The grants were finalized by an act of juridical possession several months later. The transactions were recorded in documents known as Acts of the Visit of the Royal Commissioners (Autos de la general visita). Some 170 porciones granted in what is now Texas are entered in the five visitas. In addition to the grants with water frontage, the royal officials also made larger grants at the back of the porciones or along the Gulf of Mexico. Most of these grants, which were intended for grazing, went to influential citizens of Camargo and Reynosa. They often covered large expanses of land, the largest being the 600,000-acre Agostadero de San Juan de Carricitos grant to José Narisco Cabazos. The small number of grants initially made to women usually went to recipients whose husbands had died after the grants were initiated and before they were perfected, or to women who were heads of households. A number of women, particularly from wealthy or influential families, were in possession of large parcels of land by the end of the colonial period.
Smurfie-Salinas

San Antonio, TX

#2 Aug 24, 2010
That is an outstanding article from the Texas Handbooks online which brings great stories about the early settlers in south texas and the visita general. should have put that in my forum.
Avispa

San Antonio, TX

#3 Aug 24, 2010
Wheres Fowler?
Gilardo Rmz210

San Antonio, TX

#4 Aug 24, 2010
The porciones in each of the five settlements was assigned a number. Many of the grants, especially the larger ones, also acquired names, usually derived from saints' names, physical or natural characteristics of the region, or events. The grants were finalized by an act of juridical possession several months later. The transactions were recorded in documents known as Acts of the Visit of the Royal Commissioners (Autos de la general visita). Some 170 porciones granted in what is now Texas are entered in the five visitas.

Yes this is all documented truth..........
Avispa

San Antonio, TX

#5 Aug 25, 2010
The other room is way more involved in the convs.

where are the Laredo Heirs in here?
george

Mission, TX

#6 Sep 5, 2010
what has fowler done, has she recovered anything,for anyone yet,
jerry

Mission, TX

#7 Sep 5, 2010
I heard Fowler has taken in very many clients and alot of money, but yet no results, whats up with that.
Dsc

San Antonio, TX

#8 Jun 4, 2011
Curiosity... I have bunch of family looking into using Fowler to help with possible discovery of a portion of that 2 billion of funds never given to the heirs of land grants. I am a bit skeptical. Any advice?
Harvard Law 1990

Corpus Christi, TX

#9 Oct 20, 2011
Dsc wrote:
Curiosity... I have bunch of family looking into using Fowler to help with possible discovery of a portion of that 2 billion of funds never given to the heirs of land grants. I am a bit skeptical. Any advice?
Trust me, there is no 2 billon in escrow.
sabrina garcia

Denver, CO

#10 May 4, 2013
Fowler is my famillies lawyer n because of her efforts we are now changing a law here in texas for land surveying called hb 724. Look into it. My family was given heirship 2 years ago in zapata by judge peeples. God never lets his people down. That money will b released very very soon. Pray n keep the faith. <3
Laredo area heir

San Antonio, TX

#11 May 5, 2013
My family goes back to Don Taomas Sanchez and my family was a big part of that last court hearing in Zapata. Till this day all that is still tied up in court . And as far as money there are so many heirs if we were to win each heir would get like $ 10 dollars !!!! Their are thousands of heirs to those lands that are being discussed. Well we have faith and hope everything gets settle because I just want to know our families are a part if this great part if Texas !!!
sabrina

Denver, CO

#12 May 6, 2013
Laredo area heir wrote:
My family goes back to Don Taomas Sanchez and my family was a big part of that last court hearing in Zapata. Till this day all that is still tied up in court . And as far as money there are so many heirs if we were to win each heir would get like $ 10 dollars !!!! Their are thousands of heirs to those lands that are being discussed. Well we have faith and hope everything gets settle because I just want to know our families are a part if this great part if

Texas !!!
Hi.. As far as everyone bein part of the same land grants thats not do. The land is divided into do many parts that u have to go back into ur ancestry n really c what porcion was given to ur family. i come frm longoria. Our family has been known about our money for more than 20 years. N we r finally seeing progress. Everything comes to the light. Dont give up n keep lookn forward. Read eileens page. Shes under eileen fowler spanish land grants. Visit heirs part then go to action news. It keeps u posted on the bill being passed. God bless
Jose Stakes Villarreal

Little Elm, TX

#13 Jul 23, 2013
I am the youngest of the family of Sara Stakes Villarreal. I am looking for a way to find out who now owns porcion #36 in Zapata county. As I understand thjat porcion belonged to Carlota Baldarama Stakes. Carlota maried Waldo Stakes and their first born was Sara Stakes in Sept. 2, 1896, in Carizzo, which is now Zapata, Texas. Any help from any body will be highly appreciated.

Jose Stakes Villarreal

([email protected])
Ben Jimenez

Silver City, NM

#17 Oct 10, 2013
Sabrina from Austin , I too am related to Longoria. We are at the beginning stages and have been dealing wit E. Fowler. We are trying to contact any relatives for help in getting birth certificates in order to make an ancestoral connection. If you can be of help please contact [email protected] We are related to Cavazos. Either way, please contact me. Thanks so much!
Thomas Pena

United States

#18 Dec 18, 2013
My family is Joaquin Chapa, Porcion 58, Starr County. All of our paperwork is complete, genealogy report, done I am definitely an heir. If anybody else is apart of this same chain Id like to know you for pete sake we're family.
http://www.eileenmckenziefowler.com/history.c...
L Pina

San Antonio, TX

#23 Mar 2, 2014
Any updates on the J Chapa porcion 58 ?
I Live in South Texas

Laredo, TX

#24 Mar 17, 2014
Starr County is my Home, and I have seen What Eillen Fowler is doing while it may seem like it is working like the HB724 in reality all she is doing is taking ADVANTAGE of Poor people lining her pockets with Money AND Influence. In the end NOTHING is FREE so Keep your Faith but Stay Clear of Eillen and her kind She is not the First nor will she be the Last. To continue Taking advantage of something that has already been resolved.
LANDGRANT 67

Spring, TX

#26 Jul 6, 2014
It's not the lawyer keeping the money it's the State of Texas holding onto our money and refusing to release.
LANDGRANT 67

Spring, TX

#27 Jul 6, 2014
What Fowler is charging is $300 per person only to declare you as a descendant of an original grantee. Nothing more! She cannot guarantee monetary payment until the State of Texas releases the Unclaimed Mineral Rights it is holding. That is why a Bill was passed to release this money but the State Commission is greedy and trying to hold onto the money. No one should expect a payoff until we force the state to release this money.
LONGORIA

Hobbs, NM

#28 Oct 4, 2014
ya mero familia gracias a dios

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laredo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 17 hr Part McShartz 1,052
girl working at sunglass hutt at mall Thu Hohoho 2
Attencion!! Hola!!! Jan 16 ICE Capitan 2
Nude pics (Mar '15) Jan 16 Mappy 8
Stars Jan 15 Cheapo 3
whataburger Zapata hwy (Jun '15) Jan 14 Oilfield 35
old classmate.. lizzy (Nov '15) Jan 12 Tminus19 5

Laredo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Laredo Mortgages