In Westford, staging a horror story a...

In Westford, staging a horror story all too real

There are 15 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Oct 10, 2009, titled In Westford, staging a horror story all too real. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The brutal murder of 19-year-old Matthew Shepard in 1998 put Laramie, Wyo., on the map, for better or worse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Mom of 4

Pepperell, MA

#1 Oct 10, 2009
Hollis-Brookline High School theater company performed "The Laramie Project" about 4 years ago. It was a very powerful play. I bet this one is emotionally moving as well. Best of luck with your production.
Alice

Quincy, MA

#3 Oct 11, 2009
Some men are wounded in love, those murders are wounded in hatred.
Ayer Resident

Readville, MA

#5 Oct 11, 2009
DR Zorba wrote:
No regular church going family cares to see this or any other gay production. Some people make thier own Problems and they pay for it should be the moral of the story
Speak for yourself. The root of evil was when these guys deceived, and tortured and left a human being to die. No one wants to hear from someone who groups people together to make your own far fetched statements.
Resist Ignorance

Knoxville, TN

#6 Oct 11, 2009
Lars wrote:
Who cares!
I'm sure that Matthew's parents, family and friends do!

Could you look them in their eyes and say, "Who cares"?
Gretchen

United States

#7 Oct 11, 2009
fr DR Zorba:

ANo regular church going family cares to see this or any other gay production. Some people make thier own Problems and they pay for it should be the moral of the story.<

You are EXTREMELY incorrect. Why are you blaming Mr. Shepard for his kidnapping, being tied up, pistolwhipped, and left there to DIE. The two homophobic thugs stole his shoes and coat, and left their victim tied to a fence. How DARE you say that he "made his own problem". Say it to the Shepard family, to their faces. See how far it gets you. I warrant it will only get you "ushered" to the door.
barbara

Windham, NH

#8 Oct 12, 2009
I want to get tickets. The link does not work. Any suggestions? Are there plenty of seats left making showing up at the door worth the drive?
Tickets

Chelmsford, MA

#9 Oct 12, 2009
The link is www.mvarts.info . If you go there and search "Laramie," you should be all set.
TownieToo

Chelmsford, MA

#10 Oct 12, 2009
I appreciate the pain and suffering of the Shepard Family and I respect the right of anyone to choose their life partners gay, lesbian or straight. What I'm tired of are the dark, tragic topics that WA's director is constantly choosing and encouraging his students to write and perform. Gay issues,(especially aids), teen-aged angst, and tragedy prevail! Enough already! I'm up for a great comedy or musical!
Resist Ignorance

Knoxville, TN

#11 Oct 12, 2009
TownieToo wrote:
I appreciate the pain and suffering of the Shepard Family and I respect the right of anyone to choose their life partners gay, lesbian or straight. What I'm tired of are the dark, tragic topics that WA's director is constantly choosing and encouraging his students to write and perform. Gay issues,(especially aids), teen-aged angst, and tragedy prevail! Enough already! I'm up for a great comedy or musical!
So, you would rather go to a nice romantic comedy than face the world? This play is not intended to be entertaining. It is intended to show the effects of hatred and bigotry! It is intended to show Matthew's needless suffering and that effect on his family and friends. It is intended to show the complacence of the killers, the townspeople as well as many parts of our society to that hatred. These are all lessons that everyone, especially our children need to learn.

My son is gay. He is the same age now as Matthew was when he was murdered. I love my son very much and I do not want him to be another Matthew Shepard. I wish that everyone could see this play. Maybe then we will all see the extent of pain and suffering created by events like this. There are lessons to be learned but I doubt that you will learn them from a great comedy or musical.
Chelmsford Mom

Chelmsford, MA

#12 Oct 13, 2009
DR Zorba wrote:
No regular church going family cares to see this or any other gay production. Some people make thier own Problems and they pay for it should be the moral of the story
I'm sure Jesus would be proud of you - NOT!! Whatever your feelings about people who are gay, the message of christianity (and most other religions) is tolerance, love, and forgiveness. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
And by the way, no one is forcing you or anyone else to go see this.
Chelmsford Mom

Chelmsford, MA

#13 Oct 13, 2009
I just reread my previous post and want to clarify something. I hope that my biblical quote did not imply that I think being gay is a sin. I most emphatically do NOT. Nor do I believe it is a "lifestyle choice". Some people are born gay and some are born heterosexual. We were all created by God.
Townie Too

Boston, MA

#14 Oct 13, 2009
Resist Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you would rather go to a nice romantic comedy than face the world? This play is not intended to be entertaining. It is intended to show the effects of hatred and bigotry! It is intended to show Matthew's needless suffering and that effect on his family and friends. It is intended to show the complacence of the killers, the townspeople as well as many parts of our society to that hatred. These are all lessons that everyone, especially our children need to learn.
My son is gay. He is the same age now as Matthew was when he was murdered. I love my son very much and I do not want him to be another Matthew Shepard. I wish that everyone could see this play. Maybe then we will all see the extent of pain and suffering created by events like this. There are lessons to be learned but I doubt that you will learn them from a great comedy or musical.
You too, should resist ignorance - I'm well aware of what you describe - its in the news and politics all the time. Thank goodness your son has you as his advocate!
Westford Academy has a history of dark themes - I was referring to a change of pace. When I go to plays I sometimes enjoy a lighter theme - life is tough enough. Lighten up honey - everyone is entitled to an opinon. You don't need to bash other people for theirs. Isn't that what the Laromie Project all about?
Have a great day!:)
Duped since birth

Alexandria, VA

#15 Oct 13, 2009
Chelmsford Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure Jesus would be proud of you - NOT!! Whatever your feelings about people who are gay, the message of christianity (and most other religions) is tolerance, love, and forgiveness. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
And by the way, no one is forcing you or anyone else to go see this.
Not so sure about the message of christianity. This is a religion that tells you that if do anything wrong at any time during your short mortal life, or don't believe in that religion, that god is going to punish you for all eternity. Dumb.

“Nothing but me”

Since: Apr 08

Kansas City

#17 Oct 13, 2009
DR Zorba wrote:
So I suppose no one would or should be offended if I were to say that Jesus deserved what he got for turning over the usury tables at the temple?
Of course not - blaming the victim is preposterous no matter what the setting is.
latinlady

United States

#18 Oct 13, 2009
I saw the movie it was so sad and how cruel these guys were doing this so he was gay so what to each its own

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Laramie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch Sep '16 No just us 2
News New chairman takes over Wyoming's largest gay a... Sep '16 Proxy Baptism of ... 5
Beware of Powell Enterprises When Renting (Aug '12) Sep '16 first hand knowledge 4
News Snowfall Forecast (Feb '15) Aug '16 Currmudgeon 3
News Holly Energy Partners, L.P. Announces Pricing o... Jul '16 ou812 1
Grants Creek Reservoir Access (Jun '16) Jul '16 hick 2
News Wyoming Celebrates Tourism Week (May '13) May '16 Y Yeshet Gobena 3

Laramie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Laramie Mortgages