Steve Wells

Columbus, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2009

My wife and I passed thru there recently and am looking for the history, especially where the name came from.
Highland Home

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Highland is considered the very tip of the Applachian Mountains. Even though no one really recognizes it as that. It was named such for the hilly terrain. There was a small college there at the turn of the 20th century and it closed up around 1916 or so. The school used to be called Crenshaw County High until it was changed to Highland Home High. The mascot used to be the Panther's. When WWII broke out several of the seniors left school along with other locals to join the war effort. Many went into the Air Force. They would have a student at the school to lookout for planes flying over from Maxwell field during training. When one day a student ran in and told everyone that the planes were coming. When asked how many, he said, "A whole squadron." After the war when all the locals began coming back home they changed the mascot to the "Flying Squadron" in memory of all those that fought and/or died in the war. It is the only team in the nation with that name. When you're passing back through stop at the school and read the plaque in the front, get a picture of the new F16 Fighter Jet that was recently installed. The school applied for a jet over 40 years ago and one was finally donated in 2008.
bob hodges

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

we pass through highland home on our way to seagrove beach fl. my family has made this trip many times each year sense 1952. we have made many stops for gas and r.r. over the years and have many fond memories of the folks there. i was once going a tad over the posted speed limit and a local officer pulled me over, he let me go with a warning not a ticket, very nice of him. now we are getting ready to make the trip to seagrove one more time, we will be comming through highland home on july 11 09. give us a wave we will be driving a red 2007 jaguar convertable, top will be up.
Highland Home Local

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

The F-16 was donated to the school in 2008 with strict orders that we had only 10 days or it would go to the next inline. Mr. CJ Faulk, a local contractor, This is a great man. , donated his employees, equipment and his resources to make it happen. A group of Locals went to Aniston, AL and worked for 3 days taking the plane apart and putting back together. CJ and his employees was at that school for several months. The F-16 site is also a Veterans Memorial. The F-16 something our community is proud of.
bob hodges

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2009

bob hodges wrote:
we pass through highland home on our way to seagrove beach fl. my family has made this trip many times each year sense 1952. we have made many stops for gas and r.r. over the years and have many fond memories of the folks there. i was once going a tad over the posted speed limit and a local officer pulled me over, he let me go with a warning not a ticket, very nice of him. now we are getting ready to make the trip to seagrove one more time, we will be comming through highland home on july 11 09. give us a wave we will be driving a red 2007 jaguar convertable, top will be up.
08/03/2009.....as stated above. we cane through highland home on july 11, we were in a white 2004 lincoln aviator not the jaguar....no one was out to wave us through!!!!i thought at least one person would show up,now, i will be making one more trip to seagrove beach the first two weeks in september, will set date next week, so the good people of highland home will hav another shot..... best bob hodges
Highland Boy

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Bob,
Sorry we missed you. Thanks for stopping over the years. I may have pumped your gas. Enjoy your beach trips and be safe on the highways.
bob hodges

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

to highland boy, here we come one more time to the beach,some time in sept. of 2010, will post date later. hope all oil is out to sea by that time . seagrove beach or bust, sold the red jaguar, now have a matalic gray supercharged 4.8 l v8. best, bob hodges will need lots of gas!!
bob hodges june 1 2011

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

well, our fam. made it through beautiful highland home al a couple of weeks back. on wedensday , little traffic ,however we did stop,to fill up with gas, we [8 of us] were on our way to ''sandestin, harbor town'', a very nice place but a little costly. we were in the jaguar xkr [supercharged] and the lincoln aviator. i am thinkihg of making a donation to your local school system. i would like any ideas from tue folks who live there! anyway, i will be back in august ,on our way to seagrove beach.....more to come!!
Super Hornet

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

U.S. 331 is not the fastest way to the Gulf but we sometimes take that route just for a change. We have always been intrigued by the F-16 mascot and amused by the It Don't Matter restaurant name. We have tried for pictures of both attractions on several occasions but the weather just never seems to cooperate. Last month's pictures are the best of the lot so far so I have posted them on Google Earth. I will try for better photos in the years to come. Hope everyone enjoys the pictures.
Super Hornet

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

In doing some research for my Google Earth pictures, I was saddened to learn that the "It Don't Matter Family Restaurant" was destroyed by fire just a few days after I had made its picture (and now posted on GE). Hopefully they will be able to rebuild and I will try for new pictures sometime in the future.
bob hodges

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

well, no reply to my ''school donation offer'' changed cars to a new gold jaguar XF,[4 door]
i wish i still had the jaguar XKR, tops out at 165 mph,[me not in it] roll tide ' will be heading to the beach, seagrove beach ,this november....so get all the signs out as we will be rolling your way around the 15th., around one p.m. more later bob hodges ps, what a hot summer!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lapine Discussions

Search the Lapine Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Jul 11 freedom 201
Seeking my Relatives in Honoraville, Alabama o... (Oct '06) Jun '14 wade lowe 34
AL Who do you support for Governor in Alabama in 2... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Rep 704
Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Lownde... Jun '14 Its me back 2
AL Recent tornado outbreak in South may set new re... (Apr '11) Jun '14 ThomasA 416
Debate: Trayvon Martin - Fort Deposit, AL (Apr '12) Dec '13 rapierwit 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov '13 Close Distance 79
•••
•••
•••
Lapine Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Lapine Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••