911 Millage yet again, plus Seniors, and GLTA.

Posted in the Lapeer Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#1 Jul 9, 2010
Despite Lapeer County recently being declared 11th most economically stressed county in the US, and unemployment over twice the national average, we're going to get a round of millages crammed down our throats again. Everyone has to get their piece of the pie remember, and if there isn't enough, they'll just make you buy another pie. Up for bid is 911, Seniors, and GLTA's nearly free busing service.

Lapeer County Central Dispatch Director Vic Martin is seeking to place a request for up to .75 mills for a period of up to 10 years on the August ballot. According the County Press, the proposed millage’s return of more than $2 million in the first year.

Do the math. That's $20 million over 10 years. Better yet read the last go arounds thread. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lapeer-mi/TQM... .

Originally approved in 2004, the renewal of .25 senior millage would serve to keep senior programs in place. The Senior Advisory Board seeks to maintain the 2008 level of funding for programs at $711,547. Main services offered through Senior Programs: Care Management & Case Management, In-Home/Personal Care & In-Home/Homemaking, Respite, Health Screening, Home Delivered Meals, Congregate Meals, Home Chore Services, Senior Centers, Transportation, Silver Threads Newspaper.

All of those services are also supplied by the state already. How does that work anyway? Seriously, I have no idea...just asking.

The Greater Lapeer Transportation Authority is asking voters in Deerfield, Elba, Lapeer, Mayfield and Oregon townships and the City of Lapeer to approve renewal of a .25 mill tax for a period of five years.

GLTA vehicles picked up a total of 174,590 passengers last year. If .25 mils brought in $711k in 2008, assuming the numbers are roughly the same for 2009/10/11 ect, that means each ride cost a little over $4 a ride. The real kicker in the deal is, 64%, or 111,069 boarding were in Lapeer already! So it was a short trip. Nothing like a $4 trip from the Library to Walmart. Screw GLTA, let a private sector handle that expensive taxy service.

The median price of a Lapeer County home in 2008 was $113,000.
In 2009 it was $73,000. That's a 35% drop in value people. Why you ask? Because it's worth is driven by selling prices. Average selling price for a home in 2004 was $178,500. Today it's $86,500. That's a 52% drop. Why is this you ask? BECAUSE NO ONE CAN AFFORD TO LIVE AND WORK HERE...

Everyone pushing a millages tells us to wake up and see that we should vote yes because they're honorable and worthy causes. They are, but why don't THEY wake up and take a second to think about all these numbers.

If your home is valued at $100,000, you can expect your taxes to increase $75/yr for 911,$25/yr for Seniors, and $25/yr for GLTA. That's a $125 a year or $10.40 a month. Assuming you're still employed...how much did your pay go up this year? How about last?

VOTE NO FOR NOW...
Content

United States

#2 Jul 11, 2010
Stop whining.
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#3 Jul 12, 2010
Not going to happen.

Old people on fixed incomes need a voice, and I'm tired of the needless spending. I'll preach from every corner if I have to. Everyone else has a budget to work with, bout GD time these groups do too.

If you don't want to listen, don't click on the post.
Content

Metamora, MI

#4 Jul 12, 2010
You probably voted for B. Hussein Obama too.
POed Home Owner

Muskegon, MI

#5 Jul 17, 2010
...talk about whining...

Since: Nov 07

Detroit, MI

#6 Jul 21, 2010
No way should this be okay ed with absolutely no guarantee of radio coverage for the entire county. I like Southfield's and Lake Orion's approach much better in Oakland County. They stayed with their analog system. and weren't sucked in by all the scare tactics etc that Oakland County tried to pull. Digital is only a marketing ploy by the equipment manufacturers to sell more communications equipment.New radio equipment doesn't necessarily mean a better preforming 911 system and digital cannot cover the same area as an analog system without an extremely expensive network of repeater towers. Ten years for a millage, no way!
GLTA is also an extremely expensive way to move people around with questionable results, I'm voting no on both these proposals.
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#7 Jul 22, 2010
Forgive me...my numbers seem wrong now. The $4 a ride for GLTA is over and beyond what the rider pays which can range from $1.50 to $3.00.

So that makes the rides $5.50-$7.00 each to cross town!!!!
Content

United States

#8 Jul 22, 2010
That's a good price; it sure beats the cost of being an automobile owner.
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#9 Jul 26, 2010
Really? You think we should be cost comparing mass transportation to personal automobiles?

The point wasn't that it was more expensive then a car, even if I could make an argument that it is, it was that it's expensive at a time when employment is incredibly low, and there seems to be no end to spending. I live on a budget, you live on a budget, when do the rest of these entities start?
Content

Metamora, MI

#10 Jul 26, 2010
I'm certain they're on budgets also. Just like us individuals, I understand that they have been trimming their budgets as well. But they still need income just like we do to run operations.

Has there ever been a time when a tax was welcomed?

Detroit, MI

#11 Jul 31, 2010
Content wrote:
I'm certain they're on budgets also. Just like us individuals, I understand that they have been trimming their budgets as well. But they still need income just like we do to run operations.
Has there ever been a time when a tax was welcomed?
If you think that GLTA needs income to run their operations, why don't they just raise their prices to cover expenses like a private sector firm would be forced to do? Lapeer has a taxi company that has to operate WITHOUT their hand in the taxpayers pockets and compete directly with the GLTA...is it fair to them and their employees to subsidize one form of transportation and neglect the other? The GLTA should be forced to operate on a level playing field with the other private services in the region that it operates. I say vote NO.
Content

United States

#12 Jul 31, 2010
The GLTA is a public service and not a private business. GLTA is not in existence to turn a profit like Lapeer Taxi is. Therefore it requires a public subsidy to fund certain levels of their operations. Just like the 9-1-1 center has it's operations and salaries funded by a telephone surcharge and the millage request is to fund equipment replacement so operations can continue.

I will vote yes for both.

Detroit, MI

#13 Aug 1, 2010
Content wrote:
The GLTA is a public service and not a private business. GLTA is not in existence to turn a profit like Lapeer Taxi is. Therefore it requires a public subsidy to fund certain levels of their operations. Just like the 9-1-1 center has it's operations and salaries funded by a telephone surcharge and the millage request is to fund equipment replacement so operations can continue.
I will vote yes for both.
You're wrong, a so called public service should not be unfairly subsidized at the expense of a privately operated transportation firm that must charge enough to cover expenses. This is a patently unfair advantage. Vote however you want, it's still not right.
Content

United States

#14 Aug 1, 2010
Perhaps you should run for county commissioner and if elected seek to disband the GLTA so that you won't have to pay into the unfair advantage.

Detroit, MI

#15 Aug 2, 2010
Content....Sorry, not interested in office. The pleasure of you admitting that GLTA has an unfair advantage is good enough for me.
Content

United States

#16 Aug 2, 2010
I should have better clarified my intent; I didn't mean to validate your opinion of the GLTA having an unfair advantage by agreeing with it.

Is all the debate here just a conversational competition to get another to agree with an opposing viewpoint, not giving credence to the topic at hand?

I'll be at the polls bright and early casting my yes votes for the GLTA, Seniors and 9-1-1. Praise God for America and our freedom to vote how we like!

Happy voting everyone!
wjimi

Lapeer, MI

#17 Aug 3, 2010
the ONE time i tried to use GLTA was to go pick up my car that was in the shop.

the lady was extremely RUDE saying that i hadnt given her enough notice -(one hour).

even though GLTA comes down my street everyday for a neighbor who uses it regularly.(sterling near Lake Nep. Rd. and Davison rd.)

i laughed it off at the time and took my bicycle, but later it bothered me to be denied what i am paying for especially since it was a reasonable request.

SO I'm VOTING NO

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#18 Aug 3, 2010
no idea why it lists me as being from st. louis - anyone know how to change that setting?
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#19 Aug 3, 2010
"The GLTA is a public service and not a private business."

Then perhaps it should be...

GLTA is a fine public service at face value. They're all worthy causes. I never said weren't. My point lost on you is that WE CAN'T AFFORD IT THESE DAYS. Open your eyes and look around. Don't just preach it and try to sell it. Understand it.

11th most economically stress county in the country. Nearly 20% unemployment (2x the national average) and you think raising the taxes right now is a good idea?!!?!

How counter productive can we be to growth...
POed Home Owner

Ottawa, IL

#20 Aug 3, 2010
...and I hate the spin that these aren't "new taxes", but rather a continuation of existing taxes. That's crap. When I take out a car loan for 4 years and pay it off it's done. The bank doesn't say, "well since you're use to paying this amount every month, and still own the car, let's just keep at the payment eh?" This is no different. At the end of the term the tax is done. It's a new tax...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lapeer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
should boys like wearing panties? (Sep '09) Dec 15 Anonomous 217
Man, child found dead in Oakland County home Dec 3 PTV 1
Mental health alert: Many senior citizens suffe... (May '09) Nov '14 Life is short be ... 13
Qix, Qix.net, Wireless Internet (Jun '07) Oct '14 nowifi 48
Disc Golf in Lapeer Sep '14 Lapeerdiscgolf 1
Lapeer local government corruption at all time ... (Nov '11) Aug '14 chris 9
Annette Hancock on Judge Judy (Feb '14) Aug '14 Really 3
Lapeer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lapeer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lapeer News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lapeer

Personal Finance