wow, lansing has really changed for t...

wow, lansing has really changed for the worse

Posted in the Lansing Forum

really

Midlothian, IL

#1 Dec 17, 2010
Im 26 years old and just came back into town to visit family. Lansing has really gone down hill. I live there my whole life untill just 5 years ago. I drove down the street where my family still lives and there were gang bangers walking in the middle of the street refusing to move out of the way. I was actually cursed out by these guys.
It is so sad to see the place go down hill. I once dreamed of returning and owning my familys home. Now the area scares me.
I really hope someone can clean this town up.
We used to sleep with our windows open and play in till it was past dark. Now i wouldnt trust leaving a dollar in my car.
NOT moving

Glenwood, IL

#2 Dec 21, 2010
And where do you live that is just SO great?? Your "whole" life??? A whole life of what, 21 years?? There are people that have lived her longer than that and aren't moving. I happen to be one of them. I'm not scared.
Das

Glenwood, IL

#3 Jan 20, 2011
It has nothing to do with being scared. This neighborhood is filthy and ghetto. Sorry but when blacks move in, the neighborhood worsens. Look at any past prosperous city. How I wish scum would stay out.
Rarii

Richton Park, IL

#4 Jan 20, 2011
Its not the blacks that move in its the people who dont discipline their children. I know for a fact people white, black ,Hispanic and Asian if you dont raise the youth right they have no respect. What we need to do as people is to get these kids on the right track and take back are community's. It takes a village to raise a child so we have to get involved other wise nothing wont get done.
WRONG

Hazel Crest, IL

#5 Feb 3, 2011
Rarii wrote:
. It takes a village to raise a child so we have to get involved other wise nothing wont get done.
NO, it takes a PARENT to raise a child! Parents need to start doing thier job, PERIOD!!!!!
Good Grief

Griffith, IN

#6 Feb 3, 2011
Yes, Lansing and their school system are just awful, and like it or not, it revolves around the low life scum in this neighborhood who have no respect for authority or the neighborhood they live in. I miss when Lansing was clean and safe. Now it is far from that, and interestingly enough, neighborhoods tend to go down the tubes when blacks roll in. Look at Harvey, Dolton, Cal City, just to name a few. Someone please rebuild the projects in Chicago!!

Since: Dec 10

Venice, FL

#7 Feb 4, 2011
Really, I had a very similar experiance to yours back in July of '09. I mean I was shocked! We got off the expressway and drove down Torrance Ave; well it looked more like Gary than Lansing!

And I too always dreamed of one day buying my old house on Community Steet back, but that dream has become a nightmare! Seems like most of the white flight must have happened in the last 4-5 years.

We lived there from 1955 (before I was born) until 1975. I graduated from TF South in 1976. Lansing was a great place to grow up back then. I swear, I don't think the back door of our house was ever locked the whole time we lived there. My Dad was notoriously bad about leaving his keys in the car all the time, and never was that a problem! It was that safe and ideal of a town.

I moved to FL in 1986, but would always come back every few years to visit family and friends. Was there in 1998 and had a great time. Came back again in 2002 when my mother died, still looked great. Yet again in 2003, let my wife and young son go play in Lan Oak Park alone, no problem. Back again for another funeral in 2004, still the same old Lansing.

But in July of 2009, the change was incredible! In those 5 years it went way down! I'm a real nostalgia freak, and used to love spending time in my old home town, but that time, I frankly couldn't wait to get out of there. I just pained my heart to see the town I loved going bad, and I probably will never go back, so I can try to keep my fond memories from being tainted by the "new reality" of Lansing.:(

I guess the old saying "You can never go home" is true.
WRONG

Hazel Crest, IL

#8 Feb 7, 2011
tje1966 wrote:
Really, I had a very similar experiance to yours back in July of '09. I mean I was shocked! We got off the expressway and drove down Torrance Ave; well it looked more like Gary than Lansing!
And I too always dreamed of one day buying my old house on Community Steet back, but that dream has become a nightmare! Seems like most of the white flight must have happened in the last 4-5 years.
We lived there from 1955 (before I was born) until 1975. I graduated from TF South in 1976. Lansing was a great place to grow up back then. I swear, I don't think the back door of our house was ever locked the whole time we lived there. My Dad was notoriously bad about leaving his keys in the car all the time, and never was that a problem! It was that safe and ideal of a town.
I moved to FL in 1986, but would always come back every few years to visit family and friends. Was there in 1998 and had a great time. Came back again in 2002 when my mother died, still looked great. Yet again in 2003, let my wife and young son go play in Lan Oak Park alone, no problem. Back again for another funeral in 2004, still the same old Lansing.
But in July of 2009, the change was incredible! In those 5 years it went way down! I'm a real nostalgia freak, and used to love spending time in my old home town, but that time, I frankly couldn't wait to get out of there. I just pained my heart to see the town I loved going bad, and I probably will never go back, so I can try to keep my fond memories from being tainted by the "new reality" of Lansing.:(
I guess the old saying "You can never go home" is true.
Excuse me, but try driving through Gary before you compare Lansing to them. Lansing is NO WHERE NEAR how Gary looks!! I've driven through Gary in the last month. I know. I have lived here my whole life (1963) and have no intentions of moving. It is still a great town to live in!

Since: Dec 10

Venice, FL

#9 Feb 18, 2011
OK Wrong, I'll give you that a direct comparison to Gary was out of line. Gary is without a doubt the worst city I have ever seen, and never wish to see again! My perspective is rather outdated because I haven't lived in Lansing for a long time.

But, if you have lived in Lansing since 1963, you have to have noticed that Lansing has deteriorated quite a lot in the last few years.

Perhaps my comment should have been: "Torrance Ave. is starting to look like Broadway in Gary looked 30 years ago."

I mean even Gary was nice maybe 60 years ago! My mother told me that she used to ride the South Shore to downtown Gary to go shopping! That whole idea seemed totally foreign to me since Gary has been very bad as far back as I remember!

Unfortunately I see Lansing headed in the same direction. Almost everyone I knew there has moved. The sick economy is the only thing stopping the few I know that remain from moving out as well; since they can't sell their homes.

It's really sad.:-(
Sickoflansing

Flossmoor, IL

#10 Mar 4, 2011
WRONG wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, but try driving through Gary before you compare Lansing to them. Lansing is NO WHERE NEAR how Gary looks!! I've driven through Gary in the last month. I know. I have lived here my whole life (1963) and have no intentions of moving. It is still a great town to live in!
I guess that's just your perspective then. I'm sorry but taxes as high as 6,000 a year for a nice home in Lansing, where your kids are going to have to go to school with absolute deplorable people is just wrong. Everyday I get called a cracker from the black kids hanging out the bus windows on their way home from school. There is nothing but empty flaming hot cheeto bags floating around the town. I literally watch it happen everyday. A group of them will be walking down the middle of the street, flipping off cars that try to get by, and just drop whatever garbage they have on the street.
There is really nothing appealing in this town for a young couple looking to buy a home and have a family here, unless of course, you came from the ghetto and are hell bent on making every where you live just like back home...
WRONG

Hazel Crest, IL

#11 Mar 11, 2011
Sickoflansing wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that's just your perspective then. I'm sorry but taxes as high as 6,000 a year for a nice home in Lansing, where your kids are going to have to go to school with absolute deplorable people is just wrong. Everyday I get called a cracker from the black kids hanging out the bus windows on their way home from school. There is nothing but empty flaming hot cheeto bags floating around the town. I literally watch it happen everyday. A group of them will be walking down the middle of the street, flipping off cars that try to get by, and just drop whatever garbage they have on the street.
There is really nothing appealing in this town for a young couple looking to buy a home and have a family here, unless of course, you came from the ghetto and are hell bent on making every where you live just like back home...
Really, you get called a cracker EVERYDAY from the black kids in the bus? You're at the same place EVERYDAY the bus comes by so this happens? Why not get the bus number and make a report to the bus company if this is something that happens everyday. And have YOU been through Gary lately? It's not just my "perspective" that Lansing doesn't look like Gary, it's a fact. It looks nothing like Gary. Yes, we have problems, but Lansing is still a good town to live. I don't have children school age so I can't speak about the schools. Although you might be surprised what happens when a family gets divorced and the child attending the Lansing school has to move out of Lansing. They can still attend the Lansing school for the next 2 YEARS. The district (TAXPAYERS) pay to bus them in from their new home. Call the district and pretend you child goes to school here and that you have to move due to a divorce. See the BS system they have in place! I can understand if they have a month left, but the move out of town, the kid should have to start at the school in their new district! Another reason why Goverment is so **CKED UP!!!

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sikofit

Glenwood, IL

#12 Mar 15, 2011
Parents?? Shiit, I gots me an Auntie an grandma! My moms be a crackhead an daddy could be any of 48 ppl. But sure he in da pin, shiit. Got me some grape coo aid too, shiit. Fucken cockroaches. Stop making excuses for them. Plain an simple. Theres not even an arguement! U ppl have officially gone down on the evolutionary line. Lmao. Idiots. You make me sick~!
Thanks Daley

El Dorado Hills, CA

#13 Mar 16, 2011
I can tell you another big problem with Lansing is that it employs teachers that live in Munster and Indiana and in other suburbs. Shame on them for not looking to candidates that live here and care about this town. When I went to school here the teachers that taught us lived in the community and parents and students mingled together. These teachers today get in their cars and high tail it out of town to their homes and could care less about children that live here, but give a false smile and underneath they can't wait for the day to be over.
yankee

Adel, GA

#14 May 18, 2011
I lived in Lansing from 1956 to 1983 and still go back to visit friends and family. Graduated from South in 1969 and enjoy the good memories of the area but it is going downhill quick. People have no control or interest in controlling their children. I live in the North Georgia mountains and the small towns here are different but also changing. It is not good what is happening to the country. It's not just Lansing. Hope some things can change for the better up there.
single

London, KY

#15 Feb 29, 2012
I know I lived in Lansing from 1967 to 1982. I just cant believe it now! the state ruin that town. when they tore those projects down in chicago of of the Dan Ryan. All those people relocated in lansing, glennwood, Lynwood and south Holland. You were able to walk from thornton rd to downtown with no problems. Now you cant even walk a block. I miss not being able to go back there. I know some of the old folks are hangin on to it. Just a shame

Judged:

13

13

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
passinthru

Dolton, IL

#16 Feb 29, 2012
Where in Lansing are you talking about? I go down Torrence and see stores doing business. I go down Burnham and up to 190th and see nice homes with manicured lawns. I don't see police cars with sirens blaring.
If all you can do is see negative and preach hatred and racism, then you need to get your eyesight checked, naturally and spiritually. There are still nice homes and great people in Lansing, Dolton, South Holland, Lynwood. The neighborhood is what you make it. Just because people are different and have different ideas than yours does not make them bad. Many of them have given their lives and time for this country while you sit around drinking beer and preaching hatred. The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Judged:

12

12

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
life long Lansing Residen

Lansing, IL

#17 Mar 7, 2012
single wrote:
I know I lived in Lansing from 1967 to 1982. I just cant believe it now! the state ruin that town. when they tore those projects down in chicago of of the Dan Ryan. All those people relocated in lansing, glennwood, Lynwood and south Holland. You were able to walk from thornton rd to downtown with no problems. Now you cant even walk a block. I miss not being able to go back there. I know some of the old folks are hangin on to it. Just a shame
What’s real funny about your post is that I walk from Torrence Avenue & Ridge Road to Hohman Avenue & Ridge Road and back AT NIGHT (between 8p & 10p) with NO problems. That's much more than a block! You claim you aren't able to get back here. Is it because of where you live or because you're completely delusional about how you “think” this town is. And while I'm at it, since you say you lived in this area for 15 years, I would think you would know how to spell "Glenwood". This town isn't in "a state of ruin". What IS in a “state of ruin” is your inability to place a comma in can’t, capital letters at the beginning of every sentence and capitalize the names of towns. You should re-read before you post otherwise you just show the world how inept you are. By the way, I'm a white female who's lived here 40 years, my entire life. At least give us the name of your town since it MUST be the best in all the land.
just a thought

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 7, 2012
People who have lived in Lansing for a very long time are merely expressing their view on change they've seen over the years. Its a very valid point and not disillusion or hate as some have expressed.

From a social perspective, people of today have more luxuries, faster ways of communicating, etc and still there is no respect for one another or one's property in our society. The family no longer consists of a mother and father. Now its, baby's mamma and baby's daddy. Im sure this is impossible to understand for some but this is preposterous to someone raised with respect and culture. There is no question a decline going on in Lansing and the entire country for that matter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lansing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Disappointing Blue Island Forum 59 min Professor 8
BI Schools 130 (Apr '13) 1 hr SD130 Mystery Solved 42
Rita-Vargas Patronage Island 2 hr Funky White Boy 103
long live the biip 12 hr Please 7
Review: Public Moving and Storage (Sep '16) 17 hr john strickland 371
The Village of Phoenix, IL water department (Sep '11) 19 hr Cynthia Sweeney 10
Do NOT move into a mobile home park!!!!!! (Jul '13) Mar 6 AJJ 9

Lansing Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lansing Mortgages