melinda

Atlanta, GA

#1 Oct 28, 2007
After years of living in the Atlanta area, I want to come back home to the philly area. I grew up in Norristown but would like to go to Delaware County where my parents live. I want to know what places are nice (and affordable) in delco. I have children as well, so could someone tell me what school districts are the best (and the worst)? If people would respond that would be great.
50 year resident

Catasauqua, PA

#2 Nov 7, 2007
Ridley, prospect park, holmes, folsom, milmont park. higher bracket-broomall, newtown square, springfield. stay away from upper darby and darby. why is there no lower darby? because there is nothing lower than darby.
Mysterious one

United States

#3 Nov 10, 2007
I'm looking to get out of Delco altogether.Last summer a block party and the streets not having a block party,totally blocked our cars in from leaving.These As* Wipes knew they were doing wrong.The block party street had barricades up,having one end barricaded so those on the street I/neighbors had access to come and go to the next road.Until some partiers too lazy to park in legal spaces.parked inbetween the cars paked curbside.In other words,it was parked cars 4 across from curb to curb,and cars parked behind those curb to curb.Today I saw this kid from the next street over hang a plastic bag on my hedge.The bag was tied.I went out to see why/what's in it.I seen 3 dog droppings in it.Being a white plastic bag and the dog was with them.The part I was most angry about is,this brother and sisters dog was loose one day across the street from me.At the time I didn't know who's dog it belonged to.I took it into my yard,looked for tags,nothing.I fed it,gave it water and kept it safe till/if I could find the owner.The owner came looking in our neighborhood,saw it with me,thanked me for caring/protecting it.The girl/boy was with their mother,the dogs owner.So how do I get repaid?They hang thier dogs droppings in a bag on my hedge.This is the kind of low lifes I'm among.The kids they are with across from me(alongside my home) their father placed his trash bags behind my home.Didn't ask me if he could do this.I returned the bag to his home.He came up to my door and gave me lip about me returning his trash and I disrespected him!I said you came up to my home to complain.Why couldn't you come up to my home and ask me if it's ok to leave the trash?Then cursed me out.A few weeks earlier another neighbor did it to her neighbor and she called 911.Others don't like it done to them,but its ok to do it to me.These 2 dump trash at other homes,and fight over it,call 911.They don't like i being done to them.But itsok to do it to others.The few times I missed trash day,thats my fault.I don't put it at someone elses home.I keep it at my home till next time.When they miss trash day,its "put it at someone elses home" mentality.Basically it's "Don't disrespect me while I disrespect you" mentality around here.Don't move here,move far away,is my advice.

“LOST NUT HERE”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#4 Nov 11, 2007
melinda wrote:
After years of living in the Atlanta area, I want to come back home to the philly area. I grew up in Norristown but would like to go to Delaware County where my parents live. I want to know what places are nice (and affordable) in delco. I have children as well, so could someone tell me what school districts are the best (and the worst)? If people would respond that would be great.
It depends on what you consider affordable, and what kind of community you like. For Ridley School District (SwarthmoreWOOD to Prospect Park), lowest price house would run about 180,000. And that might need some work. Same runs for anything past Prospect up to Glenolden.
Folcroft has some single homes as well as rows, starting around 85,000...singles run upwards 120,000's, that's in good shape too. You start running into well mixed neighborhoods from Folcroft, nice parks too. There seems to be an ever growing Asian, Indian Pakistani influence in Folcroft. It skips through Darby. There are nice homes in Darby, but the political situation is a nightmare. Stay out of Darby. A substantial bit of it is a never improving flood zone (did I mention the political situation?) Lansdowne is absolutely beautiful. Very large homes, with great space, but beware of the school district that is extremely neglected. Homes run here around 180,000 for a victorian single that might need cosmetic work. If you can afford, and agree with Catholic school, Lansdowne is nice and mixed with all ethnicities. Upper Darby has just about every type of home and ethnicity and financial bracket in it. It's zip is 19082. UD school district wins at least one award for some thing or other, every year. Last year they won best teacher, of the state, I think? In the late 90's they won best school. It is crowded, but all of the kids I know say it doesn't affect the quality of teaching and school spirit. I love Upper Darby...can you tell? I live in a row home, but there are singles and twins. The one thing you won't find here is a block of one 'race' or other. Everywhere is mixed, from the cheapest homes, to the huge singles up in Drexel Hill. But it is a great place. Naylor's Run Park off of Garret Rd is a huge, well organized park with lots of nooks and crannies for semi private picnics, light nature hiking. I recently saw (before it got cold) a sand piper type bird fishing in the creek there. I had not seen one in years. It also has marble play areas (for playing with marbles, not made of marble). Cheapest good shape home runs around 95,000, and some in other areas go for 300,000. Have fun shopping. Personal advise: live below your means.
melinda

Atlanta, GA

#5 Nov 11, 2007
Okay, that sounds good. Could anyone give me any info on the schools in Upper Darby and Lansdowne?(I am most interested in moving to this area)

“LOST NUT HERE”

Location hidden

#6 Nov 12, 2007
Upper Darby Public Schools web site: www.udsd.k12.pa.us
If your kids are in kindergarten, they all go to the same kindergarten center on State Rd. It is a beautiful school. UD is one of the rarer and rarer schools that still offer access to special programs and teaching for students with various issues.
From 1st to, I think, 6th grade, the elementary schools are divided by area. See it on the web site. The even offer early registration, with a printable online form, usually, early in the new year. The registration office is accross from the sears parking garage, just off of 69th ST.(I think its Walnut).
The only way to send kids to school if you choose Lansdowne, and I STRONGLY urge you, is through some sort of private schooling, weather it be Catholic, or another you are aware of. When you see the homes in Lansdown, the shopping areas, the parks, you will be amazed what you can get for your money, but watch the taxes, and stay away from the school. That's what makes Lansdowne such a great deal. No one with a family that needs public schooling wants to live there. When you see it, at hear how high the school tax is, you will truely wonder how the district has become so abandoned. Maybe it's because they share with Darby? I'm not sure. Any takers?
50 year resident

Catasauqua, PA

#7 Nov 13, 2007
for your own good, and that of your family, stay away from s.e. PA.

“LOST NUT HERE”

Location hidden

#8 Nov 26, 2007
50 year resident wrote:
for your own good, and that of your family, stay away from s.e. PA.
You know,that's a really bad attitude. There are rotten apples everywhere. I feel bad that you have had such a bad experience that makes you hate where you live so much. Have you called your councilman about your concerns? The mayor maybe? Your congressman?
I lived in N.E. Pa when I was in school, and I gotta tell ya, things look so all American, shiney and bright, on the surface...most times they are...but there are huge pockets of hidden heroine abuse up there. Not to mention the sniffing, huffing, all that stuff. When you live in an urban area, the good thing about it is everything is right in your face. You can see the bad stuff coming. In the rural areas, nothing seems to be bad, but then some sadisticaly sick, bizzare thing will happen, all of a sudden. People are so far apart from each other up there, that when you need help, no one can get to you fast enough or even hear you yell.
I love S.E. PA. Lived here all my life, and so have my ancestors. It's a great place to live with great people.

“LOST NUT HERE”

Location hidden

#9 Nov 26, 2007
Here check this out: http://www.topix.com/city/upper-darby-pa/2007...
And that in, I'm pretty sure, one of the largest boroughsin the United States
novajack

Pleasantville, NJ

#10 Nov 28, 2007
My husband and I live in Drexel Hill. We have been here for one year next week. We live in an old tudor that has been kept in perfect condition by the previous owners. We love Drexel Hill. It's great b/c it's near the city and also near the beautiful areas of the main line and it is SO affordable. We haven't experienced any problems since we've been here. I can't add anything about the schools b/c we don't have any kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lansdowne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cops: 10 pounds of pot wrongly sent to Pennsylv... Apr 23 Spotted Girl 3
Utility Cable Blocking/In Front of Light At Bal... Apr 12 blockedlight 1
News Man Clogs Toilet With Potatoes (Feb '15) Apr 5 Micks 16
Delivered Newspaper Thief In Drexel Hill Area Apr 5 NoNewsIsBadNews 1
Ignorant Snow Plow Contractors Dumping Private ... Mar '17 plowedunder 3
News Pa. woman warned about gator finds pot lab instead (Jul '09) Feb '17 She Pharted Hard 29
New recycle containers (Dec '08) Feb '17 walley 17

Lansdowne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lansdowne Mortgages