Fairmount Heights officials try to bo...

Fairmount Heights officials try to book activities with library closure

There are 1 comment on the Gazette.net story from Jun 19, 2013, titled Fairmount Heights officials try to book activities with library closure. In it, Gazette.net reports that:

The temporary closing of the Fairmount Heights library is raising concerns from community members that youths will lack entertainment options this summer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gazette.net.

Comm Arthur H Jackson

Silver Spring, MD

#1 Aug 31, 2013
It was sad to hear the closing of Historic Fairmount Heights Library. This site was donated to The Town of Fairmount Heights under Mayor Lawerence Brooks Sr for a library,to serve the area's growing Black population in Central Prince Georges County. The only Library to serve the area was Hig John Libary on Jost Street, which was a trailer. Activist Robert Spencer, Ruth Brown, Decauter Trotter, Arthur King, Cora Rice, Henry Arrington, Rev Arthur and Mrs Mable Luckett and Mayor Lawerence Brooks lobbied for the funding for The Fairmount Heights Library, the architect was African American Anthony Johns and the contractor was a company whihc include B.E.T. Founder Robert Johnson, whose nefew graduated from Fairmont Heights High School. I appeal to current residents and community activist develope a sensible plan to reopen the library or obtain the rights to the building as an historical and educational center.
I had the honor to serve as Precinct Captain for the Democratic Party for many years as a Councilman in the Town of Fairmount Heights, this Library was constructed as a historical testiment to the blood, sweat and pain of many african americans in Prince Georges County, whom for many years were discrinated against by the Prince Georges County Government, we deserve and earned this library, that is why during the 1963 March Mayors Brooks of Fairmount heights, Cousins of Glenarden and Hall of North Brentwood opened up their Municipal Centers as temporary lodging for attendees of the March from the deep south. Today, We can not let their efforts go in vain

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lanham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Uber driver assaulted, kidnapped rider, Pr. Geo... Nov '16 jose 1
News Donald Trump Blasts Mark Zuckerberg On Immigration (Aug '15) Sep '16 lavon affair 5
News Aunt Spanks Nephew In Front Of Classmates (Sep '08) Aug '16 Doc 105
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 American 8
What is a good debt consolidation company? (Jan '14) May '16 James310 4
The Ocean Survives Forever (Apr '16) Apr '16 What is the Silve... 1
News 300 Scientists Want NOAA To Stop Hiding Its Glo... (Jan '16) Apr '16 litesong 102

Lanham Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lanham Mortgages