WHERE IN THE WORLD .... is Chambersburg?

Full story: Public Opinion

When people think of Chambersburg, what do they think of? Peaches? Apples? Dairy farms? Civil War History? The most popular response among Chambers of Commerce around Pennsylvania, when asked "What do you think of when you think of Chambersburg," was... "Where?" "I'm sorry, I don't know where that is," one chamber representative said.
Comments
41 - 58 of 58 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
FlushTheMoney

Barnegat, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

GetReal wrote:
The $185,000 advertising budget may as well be flushed down the toilet. They will never realize a $185,000 incremental revenue, not to mention a profit above and beyond this waste of money. In addition they are paying atleast 3 department salaries and 3-4 Ben Franklins to accomplish absolutely nothing. What are they thinking?
They are not thinking, just spending and wasting money. Pretending this complete waste makes a difference.
WastedVacation

Barnegat, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2009

worldinspector wrote:
... and ya know what? I bet all of those relatively obscure (from a tourist destination standpoint) towns where they asked about Chambersburg, each spend comparable amounts of money on "tourism promotion." And I bet most people in Chambersburg if asked the same type questions about them, wouldn't have any better answers.
The reality is that Chambersburg, Bradford, Philipsburg, etc. are all just towns where people live -- nice places, but not "tourist traps!"
The silly numbers provided --$377 million and 8,500 jobs dependent on tourism -- are nonsense. They include every restaurant, gift shop, business traveler hotel, I-81 proximity gas station, etc., etc., etc., only a small portion of whose business actually comes from "tourists."
No how much we spend to promote Franklin County tourism, people ain't comin' to Chambersburg to swim in the ocean or see the Rockies!
"When people think of Chambersburg, what do they think of? Peaches? Apples? Dairy farms? Civil War History? The most popular response among Chambers of Commerce around Pennsylvania, when asked "What do you think of when you think of Chambersburg," was... "Where?" "I'm sorry, I don't know where that is". And why would anyone plan to come to Chambersburg as a tourist? What a waste of a vacation.
Zoo Bear

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

worldinspector wrote:
<quoted text>
... and I suppose you know where Rough N Ready, PA is?
You wouldn't happen to have a book called Passing Gas would you? Rough N Ready, PA is in it!
Greencastle

Mount Holly, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

I am amazed at the short sighted comments by the majority of people concerning this article. The facts stand for themselves, The tourism office run by Pollard and the efforts of the Chamber of Commerce have brought visitors and thier money to the region. as for the money spent to do it, none has come from local coffers. Why would anyone complain about free help? You all are as dumb as the people the writer of the above article interviewed... think before you speak, or write, whatever the case may be, and make sure youi have all the facts before you publish again.
Mitch

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

Greencastle wrote:
I am amazed at the short sighted comments by the majority of people concerning this article. The facts stand for themselves, The tourism office run by Pollard and the efforts of the Chamber of Commerce have brought visitors and thier money to the region. as for the money spent to do it, none has come from local coffers. Why would anyone complain about free help? You all are as dumb as the people the writer of the above article interviewed... think before you speak, or write, whatever the case may be, and make sure youi have all the facts before you publish again.
Oh,I see. Free money to throw away. You need some logic classes pal.

Pottsville is depressed economically. Maybe Pollard and the Chamber can go there and rescue them too.
CooperBug

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

This is the most discusting forum I have ever been in. I never new that there were so many morons in Chambersburg. You never have anything good to say about any comment that comes up. Do you really have a life? If people from out of state were reading the nasty comments why would they want to even know where Chambersburg was not alone come here. You must have a miserable home life.
Brownlady

Mullica Hill, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

I know where Chambersburg is......it's a strange place....very strange....but as one poster mentioned, the incest there isn't as great (or is it), as in Fulton County....
InformedCitizen

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Judged:

For the love of God, some of the comments in this thread could not be more ridiculous. Most of you are ignorant hillbillies who have no idea what you're talking about.

I work as a manager in the local service industry. Do you have any clue how much of our profit comes from tourists? That's right. Tourists. Just because you asked 1 or 2 people in Bradford County about Chambersburg and they don't know it.. that doesn't mean a thing.

And from what I understand, the whole local tourism operation ISN'T RUN WITH OUR TAX MONEY. It's paid for out of "room tax" money that STATE specifically earmarks for tourism-related activities. Do I have a problem with that? No. Because those tourists who come to my business are paying my salary.

I can't begin to tell you how many folks I meet every day who are tourists-- especially in the summer. And most of them are here for something related to the Civil War. You know what that means? Real jobs. 15% of all the jobs in our area (including mine). And maybe managing a restaurant isn't important to you, but it's my job, and it's sure as hell important to me.
Mitch

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Eliminate the room tax altogether. It's discriminatory.
Nobettertimethan now

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

Judged:

SayWhat wrote:
The Franklin County tourism bureau is a joke and should be shut down. Nobody pays any attention to their billboards besides, they don't even make sense. An exercise in futility.
Something once happened in Chambersburg (it was burned) and that, pathetically, is the town's "claim to historic fame". It is surely plausable that every small town has had some "historical" event at one time or another. The redneck mentality that cburg's past event is worth promoting via taxdollars is just silly/moronic. We need educated people to make educated decisions in regard to how our money is to be spent. We need to start by firing all idiots who support "historical promotion". It is time to move on. Past behavior has been unsuccessful.
Voice of reason

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

Nobettertimethannow wrote:
<quoted text>
Something once happened in Chambersburg (it was burned) and that, pathetically, is the town's "claim to historic fame". It is surely plausable that every small town has had some "historical" event at one time or another. The redneck mentality that cburg's past event is worth promoting via taxdollars is just silly/moronic. We need educated people to make educated decisions in regard to how our money is to be spent. We need to start by firing all idiots who support "historical promotion". It is time to move on. Past behavior has been unsuccessful.
Chambersburg was burned. So was every restaurant that the chambersburg greeks have ever owned . Theres an interesting piece of local history. Lets talk about 5 out of 5 restaurants owned by the same family..,,,
lol

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

funny
Buffalo Bill

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

Voice of reason wrote:
<quoted text>Chambersburg was burned. So was every restaurant that the chambersburg greeks have ever owned . Theres an interesting piece of local history. Lets talk about 5 out of 5 restaurants owned by the same family..,,,
The corrupt Greeks are a vicious entity.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

Like unless they have a great ice cream parlor..I DON'T FREAKIN' care WHERE it's at..

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Where did this discussion come from?
No Longer ALR

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

I know where Chambersburg is!!!

As a past (recently past) Pa. ALR member I know it is the home of the now State President John Hosfield, a jerk.

We support you SMITTY!!!!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2012

Effington wrote:
Where did this discussion come from?
It came from 3 years ago. Shows the desperation doesn't it? Outta here for another week. Carry on, clowns.
Marisa Kettle

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2012

another whomever wrote:
<quoted text>It came from 3 years ago. Shows the desperation doesn't it? Outta here for another week. Carry on, clowns.
Moron, shows desperation? You are here!!LOL, Idiot.
Clowns? Again you are here!! LOL Clown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Landisville Discussions

Search the Landisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr black panther 51,189
lancaster Regional Dr. Rikki Halavonich arrested (Dec '13) 3 hr Confused 18
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr From Clarks summit 3,815
Lancaster Democratic Committee heats up summer ... 9 hr RayOne 1
I know what happened to Caleb (Sep '13) Thu Seriously 58
Panhandler Stops Interview to Answer Cell Phone Wed Jack 1
Moving to Columbia Jul 23 Information 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Landisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••