Group urges tourism boycott of Lancas...

Group urges tourism boycott of Lancaster, Pa.

There are 61 comments on the Hotel-online.com story from Mar 15, 2007, titled Group urges tourism boycott of Lancaster, Pa.. In it, Hotel-online.com reports that:

A group calling itself "Boycott Lancaster Pa. Tourism" is sending e-mails encouraging visitors to avoid the county due to an Amish farmer's recent arrest for animal cruelty, according to a story in today's The ... via Hotel-online.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hotel-online.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Susan Dickens

Harleysville, PA

#1 Apr 25, 2007
If a boycott is what it will take to close the puppy mills in Lancaster hidden behind those farmers' barns & stuffed in rabbit hutches, then let the boycotts begin. May God bless Governor Rendell.
Russ

AOL

#2 Apr 26, 2007
First off, all the Amish that I know treat their animals as one of the family. This doesn't mean that there couldn't be a few bad apples doing bad things. But, if you live by God's words, you treat your animals as God's creatures.

Second, it is a common misinterpretation by outsiders to the community that all the farms in Lancaster are Amish farms because (in their own logic) why would any modern day person want to farm? Lancaster county is host to Amish Farms, Mennonite farms and "English" farms. I hope that the reporter didn't jump to conclusions.

Third, although I myself am for the proper treatment of animals, a lot of these right wing animal rights groups are just eco-terrorists in disguise and would do anything to disrupt someone or someplace that is deemed as successful.

All I am saying is not to believe everything you hear from the news media. Make up your own mind.

Since: Feb 07

lancaster

#3 Apr 30, 2007
One Amisman gets arrested and group of bleeding heart idoits wants to ban tourism of all Lancaster? Typical left wing jackassery.
Raymond

Akron, PA

#4 May 9, 2007
Hey boycott all you want. The less morons from New York and New jersey the better.
These idot left wing baby killing tree huggers drive down the road at 20 miles and hour slam on the brakes in the middle of the road to watch and Amishman spread manure on his fields. Hey I support more puppy mills. Hey poeple there animals. You care more over some smelly dog or cat then a sweet little human baby. MORONS
Raymond

Akron, PA

#5 May 9, 2007
Susan Dickens wrote:
If a boycott is what it will take to close the puppy mills in Lancaster hidden behind those farmers' barns & stuffed in rabbit hutches, then let the boycotts begin. May God bless Governor Rendell.
Keep on smoking that crack, have you ever been on a farm. That why I say keep inhaling your clueless as to what goes on a farm, Because of the Rendall politics farmers are resorting to puppy mills to pay there bills. GET RID OF RENDALL AND THE PUPPY MILLS GO.
Auntie Em

Uniontown, PA

#6 May 13, 2007
The Amish keep slaves, otherwise known as horses, who do the work which the rest of us leave to automobiles & farm machinery of the non-human kind.
Amish are Hypocrites, pretending to be morally "different" than the rest of us, because they shun this, shun that, yeah right.
They use our highways, our emergency services, our telephones; sell furniture, puppies, grain, etc, to the rest of our world, yet, declare themselves "different", to gain economic and legal benefits.
Auntie Em

Uniontown, PA

#7 May 13, 2007
Amish style of dress? LOL! Nothing more than gang-wear.
Dorothy

Lancaster, PA

#8 May 20, 2007
Auntie Em wrote:
The Amish keep slaves, otherwise known as horses, who do the work which the rest of us leave to automobiles & farm machinery of the non-human kind.
Amish are Hypocrites, pretending to be morally "different" than the rest of us, because they shun this, shun that, yeah right.
They use our highways, our emergency services, our telephones; sell furniture, puppies, grain, etc, to the rest of our world, yet, declare themselves "different", to gain economic and legal benefits.
I'm pretty sure if you look closly enough you could find hypocracy in your own life as well. At least they are trying.
L Jennings

Selbyville, DE

#9 May 21, 2007
Lancaster County, PA has more puppy mills than any other county in Pennsylvania!
Numerous articles in major newspapers have documented the Amish as ready participants in the puppy mill breeding debacle that is adding to this nation's pet overpopulation.
Puppy mills are notorious for keeping breeding dogs in deplorable conditions, with little to no veterinary care, no exercise, no companionship and contaminated food and water supplies.
Puppies from the mill are sold in pet stores and frequently have health conditions and/or congenital defects. See http://www.columbusdogconnection.com/PuppyMil...
Several advocacy groups have placed billboards along the major routes leading into Lancaster, PA that alert visitors to Pennsylvania's sad reputation: Welcome to PA - The Puppy Mill Capital of the East.
For more on Pennsylvania puppy mills, visit NPPMWatch.com
Animal Lover

AOL

#10 Jun 25, 2007
They are nothing but animal abusers,
They treat dogs worse than the murderers
in China Fur Farms killing dogs for fur.
The Amish are evil and mean selfish non God
loving idiots.
they will get their punishment for this
in the end, abusing all the thousands of dogs
day in and day out.
shez va

AOL

#11 Jun 25, 2007
This is unbelievable that this animal abuse
is allowed in the USA- What sickos - my God
what in the hell is going on. I have never
seen animal abuse like what the Amish
in Lancaster and many other states are doing
with the dogs. This is a sin.
Susan

Ephrata, PA

#12 Aug 17, 2007
Susan Dickens wrote:
We in the Lancaster business community of tried to get the State to stop allowing Puppymills and even have a task force working on our behalf. But the Puppymills are there because people want puppies. Please do not boycott the businesses who are god fearing honest hardworking taxpayers.

PS The Puppymill bill boards have brought a lot of new customers who see them and are now looking for puppies.
Martin H

Akron, PA

#13 Aug 21, 2007
Boycott all you want we don't want you left wing tree hugging baby killers in Lancaster County.
I support all the famers in are area. If they want to raise dogs more power to them. But I do not condone abuse. All you LWTHBK lump all famers together. What about the guy beside me who does the same crap with one dog nobody will picket him. He starves his dog and the dog comes over and eats at my scrap pile. And as far as Rendell what a joke.
Val Venis

Tucson, AZ

#14 Aug 23, 2007
Who cares...Lancaster County Sucks A$$. I am so glad I left that falsely religious,cheapskate dump. If God was gonna give the world an enema he should stick the nozzle in that phucking place. Oh yeah,when your politicians bankrupt your little land of inbreeding with the convention center that will be located in the middle of the ghetto I will be laughing my butt off.
Denny

Richfield, PA

#15 Aug 26, 2007
Val Venis wrote:
Who cares...Lancaster County Sucks A$$. I am so glad I left that falsely religious,cheapskate dump. If God was gonna give the world an enema he should stick the nozzle in that phucking place. Oh yeah,when your politicians bankrupt your little land of inbreeding with the convention center that will be located in the middle of the ghetto I will be laughing my butt off.
We are all glad you left as well! good ridance to bad rubbish.
D Miller

AOL

#16 Aug 31, 2007
So now what? I don't hear anyone saying that we should boycott the NFL because Michael Vick was in to dog fighting. This must mean that all NFL players are in to dog fighting, right? Basen on the logic expressed by some of these posts, that MUST be the case. Come on, you can't punish an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. Anyone with a little common sense (maybe even a few Democrats) can see that.
Restaurants BEWARE

AOL

#17 Sep 4, 2007
My suggestion is for Labor and Industry and the Health Department to do an indepth probe into the dinners that Amish families are providing for out-of-town visitors coming to the area. These meals are pre-arranged mainly on weekend evenings at various Amish homes with NO REGULATIONS AT ALL through the state or local townships. The visitors are not required to pay, however, a guest book is available to be signed and an "expected" fee of $15-$20 per guest is given as a token of appreciation from the tourists. Most of these homes average hosting to 12 -25 guests on a given evening (approximately $180 to $500 PER NIGHT TAX FREE!!!!!) If every restaurant in the area must go through the red tape AND costly expense of complying with health and food-safety guidelines, the Amish should be NO EXCEPTION. This matter should be brought to IMMEDIATE ATTENTION to Industry and Labor and force the closing of these homes to the public due to non-compliance with state and township authorities. If I myself have to deal with the expense of being in a food related business and abiding by necessary guidelines, then the Amish need to be forced to do so as well.

Since: Aug 07

lancaster, PA

#18 Sep 10, 2007
A lot of anger, preconceived notions, personal if-I-ran-the-world politics.

Hmmm.

Horses as slaves? In the seven months I've been on Rumspringa, I've seen employees treated worse at Wal-Mart than any horse in my father's barn.

The Amish are, I think, no better or worse than any other Homo Sapiens on thi planet. Some drink, some abuse their kids, some run puppy mills.

No better or worse than the Bible-thumping Evangelists who rejoiced at the deaths of the 5 girls at West Nickel Mines School. No better or worse than the Michael Vick.

Religion is just one flag people hide behind to cover their sins.

Let's go after the people, not the flag.
Juana

Hollidaysburg, PA

#19 Sep 17, 2007
All you “Amish lover” out there. Last night I was driving home from the ER with my sick four year old daughter. On a back road I had to stop in front of a horse buggy because it was blocking the road. As I got closer I notice that the horse was not moving, probably because he was worked to death all day and could no longer move. An Amish man was beating this horse with what it appeared to be a 2x4 board or something like it. The horse just stood there not able to move as he was beating by this disgusting monster! It was 10:30 pm so it was dark out. With my sick child in the car in a dark road in the middle of nowhere I was scare to death. I had no choice but to drive away for the sake of my child. As I drove away crying and sick in my stomach I felt sicker knowing that I couldn’t do anything. This MAN OF GOD was beating a horse in the dark in the middle of nowhere just because the horse could no longer continue to move from been worked so hard. I too felt at one point in my life that Amish people where people of god... WRONG !!! These SOB’S or nothing but a cult of cruelty to animals. I hope they go to hell. I just Thank my God that my daughter was sleeping in the back seat. What if my baby was awake!
Tourist Lush

AOL

#20 Sep 19, 2007
Boycott Lancaster? Who in their right mind would even consider visiting an area to watch corn grow that is grown by children of the corn anyhow? HA! What a totally lame so-called "tourist" area... Puppy Mills are just the first in a million reasons to boycott Lancaster County. At least the Govenor agrees with not funding money into the area and keeping it all for Philly and Pitt. LOL! WOO HOO... GO ED!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Landisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 charged for allegedly blowing up turtle Sat Knock off purse s... 34
News EPA raises water issues (May '10) Aug 22 The water guy 2
contaminated water (Mar '13) Aug 22 The water guy 2
Hillary clinton IRS investigation Aug 15 Kudos 2
donielle paris (Oct '13) Aug 7 Yogi Bear 2
Wrightsville, Pa house fire ends in total loss ... Aug 2 Onelittlesoul 1
News Heroin ring busted in Lancaster (Feb '14) Jul 29 donna nolt spence... 4

Landisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance