Rockwood pet owners upset over city o...

Rockwood pet owners upset over city ordinance

There are 60 comments on the WBIR-TV story from Mar 1, 2013, titled Rockwood pet owners upset over city ordinance. In it, WBIR-TV reports that:

Pet owners and advocates in Rockwood said they are upset over a new city ordinance that limits the number of animals they can have to five, and allows animal control to trap feral cats and stray cats, and euthanize them after three days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dont u

Oak Ridge, TN

#42 Mar 16, 2013
change it up wrote:
<quoted text>
and some people have, and they realize how imposing big-cities are concerning individual freedoms/living conditions.
america has various states, counties and cities for a reason. diversity and choice. if you want to live in new york city, with minimal freedoms, feel free to! do we want every corner of america to be the same?
if you think it is degenerative here, why dont you leave, instead of telling others how to live?
<quoted text>
actually "hard-workers" can be just as bad, if not a whole lot worse than welfare recepients. as we can see, hard workers feel like the world owes them something. most hard workers feel this way. it is diverted/reciprocal aggravation from their hard work and jobs.
although it is obvious, you work to earn money for yourself, so dont act like you labor especially for others (or us). you work for your own survival. dont pretend you do it out of care. you really dont have much of a choice...... and thus you want acknowledgement through control of others for all that work you loathe.
why support a system that controls your lifestyle? is that something worthy of support? i wont, and dont.
u dont work? ur on the internet, using a computer? r u using somebodys stuff or did u buy it on ur own? dont pretend like ur against working for money and this and that when u equally do the same thing
change it up

Cambridge, MA

#43 Mar 16, 2013
dont u wrote:
<quoted text>
u dont work? ur on the internet, using a computer? r u using somebodys stuff or did u buy it on ur own? dont pretend like ur against working for money and this and that when u equally do the same thing
its a phone. i was previously employed

besides, this is about individual freedom. if someone has a job, that does not mean they have control of others.
Please

Knoxville, TN

#44 Mar 16, 2013
don't feed the troll.....
lol

Greenwich, CT

#45 Mar 16, 2013
change it up wrote:
<quoted text>its a phone. i was previously employed
besides, this is about individual freedom. if someone has a job, that does not mean they have control of others.
you disregard ppl with education because they were fed information, you disregard many who work for a living because they do it for the money for materalistic things, all while u use a phone to connect to the internet (either free or paid), all against the bigger man because of ur beliefs, and ur unemployeed. and u think your opinion actually matters somehow?
Troll

Oak Ridge, TN

#46 Mar 16, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
you disregard ppl with education because they were fed information, you disregard many who work for a living because they do it for the money for materalistic things, all while u use a phone to connect to the internet (either free or paid), all against the bigger man because of ur beliefs, and ur unemployeed. and u think your opinion actually matters somehow?
It's a troll
change it up

Herndon, VA

#47 Mar 17, 2013
lol wrote:
you disregard ppl with education because they were fed information,
i disregard the methods and views resulting from higher education. those with higher education are considered better than others without it, and that is simply inaccurate.

people without a certificate or degree, even if they have pursued knowledge on their own time and energy, do not get the recognition of college students. and usually the people that pursue knowledge on their own have to work much harder.

it is a business, a very profitable business. knowledge is not a retail product to be sold like reeboks. besides, withholding information from those unable to afford it is wrong. everyone should have access to knowledge for free. especially when survival depends on a lot of it.
lol wrote:
you disregard many who work for a living because they do it for the money for materalistic things,
again, i disregard the methods. people dont work for society because they care about you or us.... they do it because they have to.

also, living standards are constantly revamped, as they are already exaggerated, and if you dont catch up with it, your inadequate. its a joke.
lol wrote:
all while u use a phone to connect to the internet (either free or paid), all against the bigger man because of ur beliefs, and ur unemployeed. and u think your opinion actually matters somehow?
and your point here is....? i am standing against loss of individual freedom and decision.ai dontcare what the "bigger man" does, whoever/whatever that is. my belief is largely rooted in individual freedom. why should i support a system that does not support this? do you?

if my opinion doesnt matter, why should yours?
change it up troll

Herndon, VA

#48 Mar 17, 2013
Troll wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a troll
id rather be a troll than a fake.

and by the way, the grass isnt greener on the other side.
we know

Harriman, TN

#49 Mar 18, 2013
change it up wrote:
<quoted text>
and these statements are almost equivalent to me saying:
"i work very hard, so i expect that krogers to move somewhere else because theres just too much traffic and noise on this road"
is krogers going to move for your hard work? do you even want them to? no, because krogers benefits you. thats what all this is about. your benefit.
I do not understand how you can put every American freedom in line up with this nonsense. This law is NOT about taking away rights it's about the responsibility the city has to weigh out. There are just too many people who do not give care to their pets and too many people who do not enjoy suffering for those who do not and will ever provide what is required of them to be pet owners in the first place.
Dagger

Harriman, TN

#50 Mar 18, 2013
dont u wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! I have a neighbor who does not work but dumps cat food all over her yard and it attracts vermin who destroy garbage and stray cats who piss on everything I have outside! I work for all I have and do not need persons who can not mow their yard or clean up their torn apart trash from blowing all over my truck and boat but wish to believe they are in their unemployed rights to attract raccoons and possums to my property!!!!!!! Where are my rights at here? O and I shoot as many cats as I can. Have a great day hippy scum.
Dagger

Harriman, TN

#51 Mar 18, 2013
change it up troll wrote:
<quoted text>id rather be a troll than a fake.
and by the way, the grass isnt greener on the other side.
If you would get off the 'grass' and get a job and actually own something anything your far out views on 'rights' might mean something to the rest of us who do. You're probably one of those pro-weed pro-pill heads and pain clinic junkies, pro-p.o.s. also.
GetPacking

Harriman, TN

#52 Mar 18, 2013
To the woman on the news with the litter box for a yard I say good riddance. Take your crowded little yard and move out to the country where life would be better for all those felines you have locked up.
What r u thinking

Rockford, TN

#53 Mar 18, 2013
This discussion about limiting pet owners to 5 animals has changed into a blame the poor or unemployed- you must be my junky, pill popping neighbor - name calling contest. "Lil moma wolf", "dagger" and "get packing" appear to be nothing more than loud mouth bragging bullies trying to impose their opinions on everyone else. Do any of them have a problem with a neighbor and are they just using the city council to do their dirty work?If you three are so worried about property values, your truck, boat, and lawn furniture,.... why don't you try helping your neighbors instead of calling them trashy and brag about shooting animals? If I had a choice between living beside people with a compassionate heart and living beside you three - I would choose the people with some compassion for animals and for other people.
Colt

Harriman, TN

#54 Mar 18, 2013
What r u thinking wrote:
This discussion about limiting pet owners to 5 animals has changed into a blame the poor or unemployed- you must be my junky, pill popping neighbor - name calling contest. "Lil moma wolf", "dagger" and "get packing" appear to be nothing more than loud mouth bragging bullies trying to impose their opinions on everyone else. Do any of them have a problem with a neighbor and are they just using the city council to do their dirty work?If you three are so worried about property values, your truck, boat, and lawn furniture,.... why don't you try helping your neighbors instead of calling them trashy and brag about shooting animals? If I had a choice between living beside people with a compassionate heart and living beside you three - I would choose the people with some compassion for animals and for other people.
There is a fine line between compassion and crazy. I too shoot strays that piss all over my property. Call it whatever you want but why should I have to put money out of my pocket for someone who does not know when to quit collecting animals?!?!?! Good then. I do not know about anyone else but I would not want a neighbor with hygiene issues either.
What r u thinking

United States

#55 Mar 18, 2013
Colt wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a fine line between compassion and crazy. I too shoot strays that piss all over my property. Call it whatever you want but why should I have to put money out of my pocket for someone who does not know when to quit collecting animals?!?!?! Good then. I do not know about anyone else but I would not want a neighbor with hygiene issues either.
So someone's pet cat, dog, or bird wanders from their yard and happens to venture onto your property - you just shoot it? How do you determine if an animal is a stray? What is the magic number of times an animal may visit your property before the death sentence is imposed (1 time or 3 times)? Have you ever picked up a phone or talked to your neighbors to ask if they are also having a problem with a certain animal? I doubt it? Communication might help solve a lot of problems.
change it up

Herndon, VA

#56 Mar 20, 2013
What r u thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
So someone's pet cat, dog, or bird wanders from their yard and happens to venture onto your property - you just shoot it? How do you determine if an animal is a stray? What is the magic number of times an animal may visit your property before the death sentence is imposed (1 time or 3 times)? Have you ever picked up a phone or talked to your neighbors to ask if they are also having a problem with a certain animal? I doubt it? Communication might help solve a lot of problems.
great points
change it up

Herndon, VA

#57 Mar 20, 2013
Dagger wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would get off the 'grass' and get a job and actually own something anything your far out views on 'rights' might mean something to the rest of us who do.
maybe i choose not to support this system because of this very reason?

remember.... i was employed. maybe i decided, why support something that tells me how to live?
change it up

Herndon, VA

#58 Mar 20, 2013
What r u thinking wrote:
great points
change it up

Herndon, VA

#59 Mar 20, 2013
Dagger wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! I have a neighbor who does not work but dumps cat food all over her yard and it attracts vermin who destroy garbage and stray cats who piss on everything I have outside! I work for all I have and do not need persons who can not mow their yard or clean up their torn apart trash from blowing all over my truck and boat but wish to believe they are in their unemployed rights to attract raccoons and possums to my property!!!!!!! Where are my rights at here? O and I shoot as many cats as I can. Have a great day hippy scum.
even if she did work, it would still be a problem.

even if she didnt dump cat food outside, wild animals would still periodically rummage through your yard.

this is a prime example of how people care more for their materials than each other
change it up

Herndon, VA

#60 Mar 20, 2013
we know wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not understand how you can put every American freedom in line up with this nonsense.
this ordinance concerns the expansion of governmental oversight and regulation. each time government regulation is expanded, individual responsibility is diminished.

it could be used as a stepping stone.

look at new york city. bloomberg is going after cigarrettes, drinks, sodium, you name it. all with the peoples hard-earned tax dollars.
we know wrote:
This law is NOT about taking away rights it's about the responsibility the city has to weigh out.
no matter how you word it, it encroaches on individual decision and choice.

if an individual doesnt have the ability to choose to be trashy, they really dont have the ability to choose to be clean either. they only have the ability to do what they are told. they only have the ability to follow government regulation.
chasesucks

Rockwood, TN

#61 Apr 9, 2013
I have more than 5 animals, none are dogs or cats though. I DARE the city to try and take any of them away....I have guns loaded and ready. As long as the animals are well cared for, and not out roaming the neighborhood or harming anyone or their property in any way, I don't think the city has the right to impose a law that limits the number you can have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stupid 12 min Lls 5
Wartburg Football (Sep '15) 21 min Nick carraway 99
Darnells 59 min seller 7
Dara davidson 1 hr Lynn 1
Was has david coney ran off with the youth club... 5 hr Wondering 27
Andrea Adams 7 hr Really 32
Missing Man Oakdale 10 hr just saying 202

Lancing Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance