Rockwood pet owners upset over city o...

Rockwood pet owners upset over city ordinance

There are 60 comments on the WBIR-TV story from Mar 1, 2013, titled Rockwood pet owners upset over city ordinance. In it, WBIR-TV reports that:

Pet owners and advocates in Rockwood said they are upset over a new city ordinance that limits the number of animals they can have to five, and allows animal control to trap feral cats and stray cats, and euthanize them after three days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR-TV.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hehe

Rockwood, TN

#1 Mar 2, 2013
Well stand up against the city; it's about time someone does.
What r u thinking

Franklin, NC

#2 Mar 2, 2013
Why would the Rockwood City Council approve such an ill conceived ordinance in the face of voiced disapproval by interested citizens? If the council members wanted to address the problem of people abandoning animals when they move, surely there is a better approach to solving this problem than limiting law-abiding citizens to 5 animals or requiring them to be in a commercial zone and be classified as a kennel! The people who abandon the animals should be the ones punished or prosecuted, not the citizens who have gone to the trouble and expense of having their animals spayed and neutered. Just think for a minute, suppose you have 7 animals(spayed/neutered/vacina ted, and you have to decide which animals to "get rid of" or face being in violation of this ridiculously conceived ordinance - what would you do? How would you feel about your elected city officials?
Wecome Committee

Harriman, TN

#3 Mar 2, 2013
Let the city officials decide, they know everything
lil mama wolf

Harriman, TN

#4 Mar 2, 2013
I am sick of RoyCooks damn dog tearing up my garbage & leaving huge piles of crap in my driveway!!!If I didnt think neighbors would call the law I would shoot that worthless creature who's poor exsistance has been tainted by its owners.
I have sympathy for the fact stray cats are too stupid to not breed, but the majority of them are inbred & sickly & better off put to rest.
My family has a rescued cat & he is one o us; a family member. He stays indoors & requires reg vet visits like kids should have. He is a norweigan. Not a mixed mess with a crooked eye & prob mentally challenged.
big brother

Cambridge, MA

#5 Mar 2, 2013
getting my foot further in the door
Tax payer

Rockwood, TN

#6 Mar 2, 2013
Seems if several people are missing the point. It's just another way you can be controlled . I don't have 5 animals but I do feel I don't want my right to be taken away if I so decide. I could not and would not choose to get rid of a pet if I had more than 5. We have a leash law if that would be inforced maybe this wouldn't have been implemented. If your taking care of your animals I can't understand how or why this CITY COUNCIL would want to cause you and your family grief. It's very clear the city has more important issues to deal with than this. Is this where our priority really lies, if so we are all in trouble. On the real side if you have a cat even spade or neutered how realistic is it to expect it to stay in its on yard. Just UNBELIEVEABLE OUR CITY COUNCIL has shown their intelligence again. The community should stand up and speak their minds about this. Contact any and all organizations that will fight for your animal rights. Bet PETA will love to take a position on this. Remember your current CITY COUNCIL when election time ones around.
PETA

Knoxville, TN

#7 Mar 2, 2013
supports trapping and euthanizing them.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/...
just saying

United States

#9 Mar 2, 2013
Im not sure about this but wouldn't u b grandfathered in if u already had the animals i dont think they can make u get Reid of them that would b like saying u can only have 2 kids now kill the other one just saying
change it up

Herndon, VA

#10 Mar 3, 2013
is this how legitimate government operates? they sit behind a curtain, formulate ideas in private, then announce the dictate to the community? what happened to "we the people"? what happened to forewarning? what happened to open discussion?

this is just one issue. will other, more stringent, broader-reaching issues be handled in the same manner? or will the people in the community be embraced before a decision is made?

the people pay the taxes that allow the government to operate. since this allows government to exist in the first place, why arent the people conferred more than they are?

if i were in office (which i wont be), i would try my hardest to inform the community of pending discussions and decisions.... by either local tv, mail, internet, something. i would not plan things behind an armored wall and then enforce them against the peoples will.

the government serves the people. get em under control. they work for us!
change it up

Herndon, VA

#11 Mar 3, 2013
mr watts from article wrote:
Our goal is not going out and trying to roundup all the cats in Rockwood," said Watts. "I hope people don't think the city of Rockwood is an animal hater. We're not. We're trying to put the responsibility back on the citizens.
enforcing new ordinances does not give responsibility back to the citizens, it takes it away and says "now the government is responsible for this."

it basically says "you are not responsible enough to take care of this, so we will enforce a new rule that you must follow."

it is not letting the individual take responsibility, it is the government giving you orders.

open discussion about the issue, that in turn would remind citizens to be responsible, would be giving responsibility to the citizens. new laws just provide new orders with new consequences.
change it up

Herndon, VA

#12 Mar 3, 2013
from the article wrote:
Now, the city can clean up the property at the expense of the owner, not taxpayer dollars.
this is a questionable statement as well. who determines if a property must be "cleaned up"? and what is that determination based on? are all properties meant to look the same? are we eventually expected to live in a sterile environment?

and the owner must pay for it? so the government can make decisions about your property.... they can "clean it up" the way THEY see fit, if THEY think you need to? and you will be forced to pay for it too? isnt private property private property, regardless of location?
just saying

Harriman, TN

#13 Mar 4, 2013
We have more junk cars in yards and different places than we have stray cats. There is an ordinance on this also. Dont worry, they wont enforce this no more than thay will the gunk car ordinance.
Roy Cook

Rockwood, TN

#14 Mar 4, 2013
If you would come to me, with the problem, I would be able to help, I was not aware of a problem. I am sorry that I and my dog have caused you any trouble. Roy
lil mama wolf wrote:
I am sick of...
you have a point but

Cambridge, MA

#15 Mar 4, 2013
just saying wrote:
We have more junk cars in yards and different places than we have stray cats. There is an ordinance on this also. Dont worry, they wont enforce this no more than thay will the gunk car ordinance.
just because they seemingly fail to enforce a law doesnt mean the law isnt still looming over our heads. the law is still there, giving government broader control and power, whether they act on it or not.
Again

Dearborn, MI

#16 Mar 4, 2013
It' all the Republicans fault, dang gummit!
fat boy

Charlotte, NC

#17 Mar 7, 2013
now that the new chinese place is in town we won't have to worry about the cat and dog problem see the chinese and somtimes mexcian restraunts use dog meat or horse meat or cat meat in their food id' say the chinese use more of it than the mexicans mabey you can round up the cats and sale them at the chinese place and one more thing i dont think its a good ideal that the city is handing out roxies and crack cocained to people bringing in animals.
Just sayin

Harriman, TN

#18 Mar 9, 2013
The city should enact an ordnance about how many crack/meth heads are allowed in one residence !
Wondering

Hermitage, TN

#19 Mar 9, 2013
change it up wrote:
<quoted text>
this is a questionable statement as well. who determines if a property must be "cleaned up"? and what is that determination based on? are all properties meant to look the same? are we eventually expected to live in a sterile environment?
and the owner must pay for it? so the government can make decisions about your property.... they can "clean it up" the way THEY see fit, if THEY think you need to? and you will be forced to pay for it too? isnt private property private property, regardless of location?
Nope.
Funny

Franklin, NC

#20 Mar 9, 2013
The Salt and Pepper "Chicken" meowed at me today when I ate lunch at the New China Buffet. Best cat exterminator business in town.
joohoo

Cary, NC

#21 Mar 9, 2013
Funny wrote:
The Salt and Pepper "Chicken" meowed at me today when I ate lunch at the New China Buffet. Best cat exterminator business in town.
why of corse yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How did Jami Massengale 4 hr Karlen 1
Morgan County News Going out of Business 5 hr it is coming. 4
Susan NOT Goodman (Oct '15) 6 hr Laughing at ya 7
Stupid 7 hr Trump card 2
Andrea Adams 7 hr Unbelievable 29
Missing Man Oakdale 9 hr Anita 201
rusty colyer n morgan snowe 10 hr Brittany 5

Lancing Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance