Disprove It: Jesus Is A Sun God

Posted in the Lancing Forum

First Prev
of 431
Next Last
uh huh

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2013
Disprove It: Jesus Is A Sun God (another uh huh original)

Jesus is the "Son of 'God'."

Jesus died, then rose. The sun sets, then rises.

Jesus is the "bright, morning star (Rev. 22:16)." The sun is visible in the morning, obviously, and it is a star.

Jesus "comes from the East/goes to the West (Matthew 24:27)," just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, according to human parameters.

Jesus walked on water. The sun is reflected on water, thus walks on water as well.

Jesus is the "light of the world (John 8:12)," what is the sun?

Jesus is usually represented with a nimbus, or halo, which is a ring of light, like the sun.

Jesus is worshipped primarily on "Sundays."

These examples clearly demonstrate that Jesus is in fact a symbolically oriented god, thus a false figure acknowledged and worshipped before "God."

If the Bible is protected and supervised by "God" as some claim, then why would "God" project such an influential sun-god for worship before the real "God?"

“Survival Machine”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 Jan 13, 2013
And two thousand years ago something happened which changed the way we look at the calandar. It wasn't belief in some SUN god. Disprove it if you can

“Survival Machine”

Location hidden

#3 Jan 13, 2013
uh huh wrote:
Then you've got a problem, friend:
Ecclesiastes 1:9...there is no new thing under the sun...
uh huh

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jan 13, 2013
Mechanic_45 wrote:
<quoted text>Then you've got a problem, friend:
you cant have new without old, old without new. there is always new, there is always old.

however i agree with the statement to an extent.

i meant it in regard that i didnt copy or paste it, or intentionally plagiarize someone elses article.
uh huh

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jan 13, 2013
Mechanic_45 wrote:
theres that good old sun again! did you do that on purpose?

however you did no real disproving. i believe the parallels are too obvious to ignore.

“Survival Machine”

Location hidden

#6 Jan 13, 2013
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text>
theres that good old sun again! did you do that on purpose?
however you did no real disproving. i believe the parallels are too obvious to ignore.
I did it as a way of application, that being that someone else has already considered it. It's like asking whether you believe or know, when in fact one can do both (Ephesians 1:13; 2 Timothy 1:12)
uh huh

United States

#7 Jan 13, 2013
Mechanic_45 wrote:
<quoted text>I did it as a way of application, that being that someone else has already considered it. It's like asking whether you believe or know, when in fact one can do both (Ephesians 1:13; 2 Timothy 1:12)
ok. you still did not disprove any parallels/points

“Survival Machine”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 13, 2013
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text>ok. you still did not disprove any parallels/points
And you haven't PROVEN any...all you have done is pull scripture out of context
Luv it

Franklin, TN

#9 Jan 14, 2013
I enjoy you two fussing with each other.

“Survival Machine”

Location hidden

#10 Jan 16, 2013
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text>ok. you still did not disprove any parallels/points
Then I'll start with your own post>
uh huh wrote:
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
uh huh wrote:
Jesus is the "Son of 'God'."
Confirmed by a king:
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

We certainly would expect one of His own to confirm it:
Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

But who are these people
Matthew 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
uh huh wrote:
Jesus died, then rose.The sun sets, then rises.
But only once for Christ:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
uh huh wrote:
Jesus is the "bright, morning star (Rev. 22:16)." The sun is visible in the morning, obviously, and it is a star.
And I guess you will think this is just a metaphor:
Numbers 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

But catch the next point!!!
uh huh wrote:
Jesus "comes from the East/goes to the West (Matthew 24:27)," just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, according to human parameters.
Matthew 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
uh huh wrote:
Jesus walked on water.
And where is the SUN in this verse:
Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
uh huh wrote:
The sun is reflected on water, thus walks on water as well.
Was Peter a SUN:
Mat 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
uh huh wrote:
Jesus is the "light of the world (John 8:12)," what is the sun?
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
uh huh wrote:
Jesus is usually represented with a nimbus, or halo, which is a ring of light, like the sun.
And Satan is usually represented with horns, a pitchfork and pointed tail
uh huh wrote:
Jesus is worshipped primarily on "Sundays."
Known only as First Day of the week in the bible
uh huh wrote:
These examples clearly demonstrate that Jesus is in fact a symbolically oriented god, thus a false figure acknowledged and worshipped before "God."
Uh, huh..
uh huh wrote:
If the Bible is protected and supervised by "God" as some claim, then why would "God" project such an influential sun-god for worship before the real "God?"
Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
anonymous

Sunbright, TN

#11 Jan 26, 2013
Jesus is a retelling of the Promethean myth. Which is a retelling of older myths generally involving a sun god. A few similarities include Prometheus descending from heaven to enlighten man kind, his relationship with Petraeus(Peter)a fisherman, and his ultimate martyrdom.

But to say Jesus is a retelling of sun god mythology isn't quiet right. During the reign of the pharaoh Akhenaten the first major (known) proponent of monotheism he disbanded most of the temples of the other gods and said Aten, the sun god, was the one true god. This influenced in the nascent Israelites own take on monotheism.

So its to say that Yahweh of christian and jewish myth is more the sun god where as Jesus is more of a Promethean figure.

You'll find most of the worlds natural religions (those which develop from one another naturally as opposed to ones like Scientology) mirror each other.

Take the great flood for example, it pops up in mythology ranging from the Aztecs creation myth, to the bibles story of Noah, to the epic of Gilgamesh and so on. This happens because in ancient times most humans lived in the fertile crescent. Rising water from the end of the ice age forced them to separate and spread.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#12 Jan 27, 2013
Jesus is not Mithra, though modern Christianity is patterned after Mithraism.

Jesus is not a retelling of the myth of Prometheus as there is historical documentation {Roman and Jewish} of Jesus' existence. Prometheus, arguably, never existed, at least not as he's presented.

Prove? I've stated facts enough to prove what you've asked, and done so without citing the Bible.
anonymous

Sunbright, TN

#13 Jan 27, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
Jesus is not a retelling of the myth of Prometheus as there is historical documentation {Roman and Jewish} of Jesus' existence. Prometheus, arguably, never existed, at least not as he's presented.
Prove? I've stated facts enough to prove what you've asked, and done so without citing the Bible.
I'm not the original poster on this thread who wanted proof. If any thing I was arguing against his point that Jesus is a sun god. Nor am I arguing the historicity of Jesus. I'm just pointing out that in all likely hood once the actions of Jesus where written down, nearly a century after his life, those writers conflated other prominent myths of the day with the proto-story of Jesus.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#14 Jan 27, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the original poster on this thread who wanted proof. If any thing I was arguing against his point that Jesus is a sun god. Nor am I arguing the historicity of Jesus. I'm just pointing out that in all likely hood once the actions of Jesus where written down, nearly a century after his life, those writers conflated other prominent myths of the day with the proto-story of Jesus.
I wasn't responding to your post, but to the original posting, except the reference to Prometheus.

There were many writings in the first century that were passed/shared between congregations. Several of those who studied at the feet of the original disciples/apostles refer to other writings that were in circulation and some that were incorporated into books that were considered for the Canon. Most of those from the first century didn't survive Rome's assault on Christianity and Judaism between 70 AD and between 100 and 150 AD. Just because they didn't survive intact doesn't mean they didn't survive at all.

There is also the Pseudepigrapha which contains a rather healthy collection of extra-canonical writings.
uh huh

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Feb 10, 2013
Mechanic_45 wrote:
<quoted text>Then I'll start with your own post>
<quoted text>Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
<quoted text>Confirmed by a king:
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.
We certainly would expect one of His own to confirm it:
Matthew 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
But who are these people
Matthew 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
<quoted text>But only once for Christ:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
<quoted text> And I guess you will think this is just a metaphor:
Numbers 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
But catch the next point!!!
<quoted text>Matthew 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
<quoted text>And where is the SUN in this verse:
Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
<quoted text>Was Peter a SUN:
Mat 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
<quoted text>Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
<quoted text>And Satan is usually represented with horns, a pitchfork and pointed tail
<quoted text>Known only as First Day of the week in the bible
<quoted text>Uh, huh..
<quoted text>Mat 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
if something is not new, what is it? wasnt jesus a "newborn" child? is that wrong syntax?

how else does a man "die" and then "rise" without some metaphorical twist?

likewise, how else does one walk on water? magic? i thought magic was evil?
uh huh

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Feb 10, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
i dont care who is who. the underlying point of this post, along with others, is to show the confusion and over-complexity of these concepts, refreshed every few decades. it was also intended to show that these men-figures were as much "gods" as zeus and your pet chihuha are. all of these figures are perversions, the oldest, all the way to the newest in my opinion
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#17 Feb 11, 2013
uh huh wrote:
<quoted text>i dont care who is who. the underlying point of this post, along with others, is to show the confusion and over-complexity of these concepts, refreshed every few decades. it was also intended to show that these men-figures were as much "gods" as zeus and your pet chihuha are. all of these figures are perversions, the oldest, all the way to the newest in my opinion
In so many ways I do agree with you, but there are threads that hold true through both Old and New Testaments. These threads weave together into a very strong rope upon which men have tried to hang their own interpretations. One of the hardest tasks for anyone that seeks to follow the Truth is to identify these interpretations and trim them off. Let me present an example to illustrate what I mean.

God creates the universe. Then He creates a man and woman for the sole purpose of telling Him how great He is?

I would dare venture that excreta has more brains than the above sentences present, yet so many in church every sunday believe exactly this.

We all have certain pictures in our minds about who/what God is. Hopefully, one day, we'll find out. Until then all we can do is go with the best information we have, and do the best we can with what we've got.
man who knows

United States

#18 Feb 15, 2013
1. Timothy 16 and without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: god was manifest in the flesh, justifide in the spirit, seen of angels preached unto the gentiles, believed on and in the world, receved up into glory,...... In other words if god was,made into flesh! Not a star (sun) and preached to gentiles . Then how could he be a sun god and not god himself?
John

Charlotte, NC

#19 Feb 15, 2013
You have decent opinions on what you thank about Jesus. You have to know that there are many accounts of Jesus recorded through history and not just the bible, the dead sea scrolls are a perfect example of this, they are a modern authentification of not just Jesus but the bible also. You can also look up other accounts, but Jesus used the sun and the stars for his purpose and teaching (12 desiples 12 consilations) Jesus is the light and the light cuts through the darkness it is the only force able to do so thats why he refers himself to alot of this stuff. when Moses came down from mt sinai he was glowing so bright from the power and glory of god that the Israelites had to cover there eyes, it even states that there will be no sun in heaven because the glory of god will light up the whole place. And to your comment about Jesus walking on water and the sun reflecting off of water was totally pointless, the sun can reflect off of mirror and Jesus never walked on a mirror.
John

Charlotte, NC

#20 Feb 15, 2013
O ya and its son not sun. you need to understand what son of god means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 431
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Powers getting shot 6 min THE_SYNDICATE 161
~~Last Post Wins~~ (Aug '12) 19 min Maverick 808 377
Low flying planes almost barely missing my house! (Jul '11) 31 min THE_SYNDICATE 47
~~(Last Post)~~ (Jun '12) 1 hr texas pete 603
mcs 1 hr just saying 1
Justin "Bunny" Clark is the football trailer th... 2 hr Johnny sieber 39
Sheriff daughter 3 hr Nasty 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lancing Mortgages