Thinking of moving to Red Oak

Posted in the Lancaster Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cinna

Denver, CO

#1 Sep 27, 2009
My family is considering moving to Red Oak. What can you tell me about it?

Since: Sep 09

Lancaster, Texas

#2 Sep 28, 2009
Small, but fast growing community with a population approaching 10,000.
cinna

Littleton, CO

#3 Sep 28, 2009
What do you think of the schools?

What about traffic driving into the city? My husband will be working in Seagoville.

Lancaster, Texas

#4 Sep 28, 2009
From what I hear, the schools are okay. I don't have any first hand experience with them, however, as I live in Lancaster - just north of Red Oak. The city is basically going through the transition from a more rural community to one that is more suburban, which is occurring throughout southern Dallas/northern Ellis counties. Commuting from Red Oak to Seagoville shouldn't be too bad.
Paso Robles

United States

#5 Oct 8, 2009
Donít do it! I lived there for 2 years and it was the worst decision I could make. I got a job offer in California and I took it. It was like Green Acres out there. Everybody seems to be backwards, living in the past. I canít explain it.
cinna

United States

#6 Oct 8, 2009
Paso - I wish you could explain more of what you mean so I understand. We go house hunting next week.

Lancaster, Texas

#7 Oct 20, 2009
Hi cinna,
I hope your home search went well. I just wanted to tell you that some of the negative comments left on this site aren't always accurate and may end up giving you a flawed and false view of a city or town. Some of the things I've read about my community (Lancaster) are based more on stereotypes and generalizations than anything else, and come mostly from people who don't even live here. Had I read and believed them a few years ago while house hunting, I may have never found the nice home that I now live in and enjoy today. I just don't want this to happen to you. I hope you found something nice in Red Oak.

All the best!!!
cinna

Denver, CO

#8 Oct 20, 2009
Chris - thanks so much for following up. We loved Red Oak and will be buying a new home there. We close in December. We are very happy to be moving. We did look in the Mansfield area, but in the end, it could not compare.
fried

United States

#10 Oct 21, 2009
You will regret it!!! Red Oak is the worst place to move to. It's even got a nickname Dead Oak. Do not move into the city limits its the most corrupt city is America. The schools BTW drugs drugs drugs and i can't leave out the gangs gangs gangs.
David E

Tarentum, PA

#11 Oct 22, 2009
I rented in Red Oak before I made any decisions to buy in the area. Good thing because I was mislead into believing that I would love the area. I donít know what you are looking for but the place was not right for me and my family. I was really being pushed into purchasing a home, which is not what I did. If anyone is considering Red Oak and you have the opportunity to rent, do it.

Since: Oct 09

Lancaster, Tex.

#12 Oct 23, 2009
To cinna: I'm not going to try to discourage you from moving to Red Oak as you know what is best for your family. I just wanted to share my experience with the city.

My experience in Red Oak was negative. My husband and I moved there in 1995 to be closer to the Waxahachie area where we both worked. Things were okay at first, but the situation deteriorated quickly. Some of the homes on our street were allowed to become over-grown with weeds and look awful. Code enforcement was poor and when we called to get the situation corrected, they gave us the runaround and it took weeks before anything was done. The last straw came in 2001, when our home was burglarized twice in one year. After that, I never felt safe there, especially after my son was born. We saved up enough to move in 2003. Things may have changed since then, but it wasn't the right location for my family. I sincerely hope your experience in Red Oak is better than mine.
fried

United States

#13 Oct 23, 2009
Trust me its got worse.
Eeee

United States

#14 Oct 27, 2009
I think that it is a pretty nice place to live.
fried

United States

#15 Oct 29, 2009
Eeee you are stupid and i bet work for the city of Red Oak. This town might as well be called the new oak cliff. There is always robberies and people getting broke into,drugs,fights, THE SCHOOL HA they have to have 5 isd cops just on the high school campus
Eeee

Dallas, TX

#16 Oct 29, 2009
fried, can you show me a city,, ANY city that does not have SOME kind of problems that you are referring to? I have lived here 10 yrs + w/o one incident twards me or my loved ones. And no, I do not work for the city dumbass. Why dont you disclose the paradise where you call home so we can get some crime stats and such as you have, or visit so we can all get a breath of fresh air if it is so bad here.
Eeee

Dallas, TX

#17 Oct 30, 2009
sorry fried,, i should not have call you dumbass,please forgive me.
fried

United States

#18 Oct 31, 2009
I live in red oak and have been broken into 3 times.
mom

United States

#19 Nov 4, 2009
[There is only one police officer at the high school and one at the Jr. High and Middle school, they also have a truant officer.
The schools aren't as good as they used to be when my kids were going there, but it is from the riff-raff moving out here. I think "Fried" has a bone to pick with red oak or he is a spoiled brat-
sher

Dallas, TX

#20 Nov 4, 2009
I have lived in Red Oak for 18 yrs. I stayed after my divorce because of the schools. I have 2 childern with reading issues and the school picked up on it before 2nd grade. That is unheard of in most districts. Red Oak is different from 1991 however it is a nice place to live. If you buy do not by into any addtion on the east side. No HOA's and the ARm mortgages were crazy in these neighborhoods. I prefer the west side. Good Luck and only you know what's right for you. BTW if you want to know how your kid is doing in school you can see there grades on the internet at anytime. All the teachers have email so it's super fast communication.Ask my son who was acting up in class and the teacher emailed me and he was instantly corrected. Good Luck
resident

United States

#21 Nov 4, 2009
"mom" i go to red oak schools at the high school there is officer Reynolds,Guarnero, and Perez then security guard Hamel then of course chief Lindsay also does police work on the high school campus. There is a severe problems with gangs and drugs. There is some good teachers and they have the internet grade stuff but is it worth moving here and your kids getting involved in gangs and drugs?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scoop: the Great Christmas Light Fight on Abc -... Dec 8 Monica joslin 4
Lancaster Tx Mayor and City Manager are THUGS (Nov '12) Oct '17 Lancaster home 25
Red OaK Swingers Club (Oct '09) Oct '17 Taurus 44
DeSoto Music Thread (May '12) Sep '17 Musikologist 17
Lancaster pronounciation (Apr '15) Jul '17 OBolton 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 19
Glenn Heights Water Bills- (Apr '07) Jun '17 CharlI Bronson 34

Lancaster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lancaster Mortgages