Lancaster, Texas Community Pride

Posted in the Lancaster Forum

Since: Sep 09

Lancaster, Texas

#1 Dec 11, 2009
I started this thread after reading the comments left by current citizens of Lancaster on this forum. Their comments were mostly positive despite the occasional negative remarks from others. Here, we can focus on the people, businesses, neighborhoods, and events that distinguish Lancaster from other communities. I encourage residents of the other nearby suburbs to do the same. If you take pride in your community like I am, let it be known!
lancaster

Dallas, TX

#2 Dec 13, 2009
Lancaster is a nice place to live and I love it here. I take pride in my community, too!

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#3 Dec 14, 2009
I moved to Lancaster 38 years ago. I've raised my family here, opened a business here, and have formed long-term relationships with my customers and neighbors. I have one child in college and three others who live in Lancaster as well. This community has a lot of charm that some outsiders fail to grasp. I've encountered naysayers who told me that this city would never grow after the 1980s, have the same suburban home developments and businesses that other communities do, or continue to attract hardworking families because of changes in the city's demographic composition - all proven wrong. Throughout it all my city has continued to survive where others wouldn't. It is that type of resilience that makes me proud to call myself a resident of Lancaster, Texas.

Thanks for starting such a great discussion Chris N.
Catherine75134

Dallas, TX

#4 Dec 25, 2009
Just browsing and found this page. Reading these comments has made my Christmas even better. Lancaster is full of great people.

Merry Christmas!
Happy In Lancaster

United States

#5 Mar 20, 2010
Now this is my kind of thread........a positive one!

Greetings from the Wellington Park neighborhood.
Petra

Phoenix, AZ

#6 May 13, 2010
Hi, I m new here in this forum. I was reading a lot about Lancaster on this side and it scared me a lot. We are about to move from Arizona to Lancaster in June. Is it realy this bad? We have three kids and I dont want to put my family in a bad naighborhood.

Since: Sep 09

Lancaster, Texas

#7 May 16, 2010
Petra wrote:
Hi, I m new here in this forum. I was reading a lot about Lancaster on this side and it scared me a lot. We are about to move from Arizona to Lancaster in June. Is it realy this bad? We have three kids and I dont want to put my family in a bad naighborhood.
Hi Petra,
Don't believe everything you read on this site about Lancaster. I created an account on Topix after reading things about Lancaster that were completely false and just over the top. Most of the negative comments come from people who don't live in the city. Another group of people who post a lot of negative comments are those who may have lived here in the past but moved away because the less diverse, semi-rural town transformed into a much more diverse, suburban bedroom community of Dallas. This type of change has continued to occur in cities and towns all over the rapidly-growing Dallas-Fort Worth area. The posts that come from actual Lancaster residents are mostly positive. I moved to Lancaster in 2006 and have not had any problems. The city has been one of the fastest growing suburbs in Dallas County over the past decade, increasing from 25,894 residents in 2000 to approximately 36,600 today. Like any city, there are some neighborhoods that are nicer than others, but there are plenty of safe, well-kept areas in the city with beautiful homes. Lancaster is a mostly middle-class community and according to census data, the fastest growing income group over the past decade has been households earning between $75k and $149k per year. I truly believe that you will be fine living in Lancaster, but you might want to consider renting a house for several months until you get more accustomed to the area before buying. I know of families who have done this and later purchased a home in the city. Lancaster isn't perfect, but no city is, and it is a nice place to live. I have no regrets and take pride in my community.

I posted this link on one of the other Lancaster-related discussion pages, but thought it would be helpful to you as well. It contains photos of Lancaster and the nice homes/neighborhoods found throughout the city: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/664279-...

Since: Oct 09

Lancaster, Tex.

#8 May 17, 2010
I fully agree with Chris N. After a bad experience in nearby Red Oak, we moved to Lancaster in 2003. Our neighborhood is quiet, safe, and populated by working families. I love it here! My son attends Rosa Parks-Millbrook Elementary, which is a great school. His teachers, the administration, and staff are wonderful. Your family shouldn't have any problems fitting in here.
passerby

Dallas, TX

#9 May 20, 2010
Petra wrote:
Lancaster is a suburb, but has retained a close-knit, small town feel. I have lived in the city for over 25 years and see great things ahead for our community. You have nothing to worry about. Come and grow with us!
passerby

Dallas, TX

#10 May 20, 2010
I also wanted to add that I have never felt unsafe here. We know our neighbors and they look out for us and we look out for them.

The local news tends to focus on negative stories. A lot of times, the event is overblown. On this site, for example, there was a story posted on Monday titled "Lancaster police investigate report of shooting." The report and its attention-grabbing headline turned out to be a complete HOAX, but there was no follow-up article posted here stating that FACT. I ended up posting the link to the article explaining that this whole episode was false. Its a perfect example of sloppy reporting that gives a false impression of our community.

I wish you and your family all the best.
markw

Dallas, TX

#11 Jun 14, 2010
passerby wrote:
<quoted text>
Lancaster is a suburb, but has retained a close-knit, small town feel. I have lived in the city for over 25 years and see great things ahead for our community. You have nothing to worry about. Come and grow with us!
I agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NY school board to meet amid 3 boycotts over Re... Mar 19 Left it 1
sonny bill Hutchinson melissa hickman dewey hic... Mar 14 cat collins 87040... 1
Lancaster Tx Mayor and City Manager are THUGS (Nov '12) Mar 5 satisfied citizen 6
Glenn Heights Water Bills- (Apr '07) Mar 3 ripped off 21
News Lancaster model airplane plant destroyed in fire (Nov '07) Mar 2 Model Corner Gemi... 2
News Videos capture Eddie Ray Routh rambling before ... Feb '15 Cold Front 2
DeSoto Music Thread (May '12) Feb '15 Musikologist 13
Lancaster Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lancaster People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]