Carolina Cup - A Southern Tradition C...

Carolina Cup - A Southern Tradition Continues

There are 44 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 29, 2008, titled Carolina Cup - A Southern Tradition Continues. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

' Thousands bared the cooler temperatures to attend one of the state's biggest tailgating events held in the spring - ' The Carolina Cup.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Grammar

Camden, SC

#1 Mar 29, 2008
"Thousands bared the cooler temperatures to attend one of the state’s biggest tailgating events held in the spring – The Carolina Cup."
They "bore" the cooler temperatures....
Come on. I know reporters have to have basic English skills.
miss thang

United States

#2 Mar 30, 2008
all this event is, is to see who can out do who. you never see a horse. been there done that. would rather spend my thousands at a rescue center for pets. sorry camden.
KC Resident

AOL

#3 Mar 30, 2008
An excuse for the elite and wealthy of Camden to get drunk, flirt and show off their hard earned inherited wealth. Full of spoiled and coddled frat boys and sorority girls not to mention other high class snobs from Camden who look down their noses at everyone else. Boring and shallow poeple to hang around for the most part.
RaceFan

AOL

#5 Mar 30, 2008
I went. I live in Camden and I saw every horse and every race. I am not elite but its a fun tradition for me, my family, the children to get together, enjoy time with one another, see old friends, enjoy good food. etc. I have never inherited a dime. Didnt go to college. Honestly dont know any high class people. All the money goes to our local hospital as well. I think to a great cause! Sorry Camden? Might you be a tad green? And honestly for no reason. I have never been snooted or looked down on. We have some really good, down home people!! Proud to be a Camden resident!

“My Family is my LIFE”

Since: Feb 07

Decatur, GA

#7 Mar 30, 2008
RaceFan wrote:
I went. I live in Camden and I saw every horse and every race. I am not elite but its a fun tradition for me, my family, the children to get together, enjoy time with one another, see old friends, enjoy good food. etc. I have never inherited a dime. Didnt go to college. Honestly dont know any high class people. All the money goes to our local hospital as well. I think to a great cause! Sorry Camden? Might you be a tad green? And honestly for no reason. I have never been snooted or looked down on. We have some really good, down home people!! Proud to be a Camden resident!
I live in Camden also, it is a great place to live and the people here are very kind and down to earth. I am also proud to be a Camden resident!!!
Paris

Redmond, WA

#8 Mar 30, 2008
KC Resident wrote:
An excuse for the elite and wealthy of Camden to get drunk, flirt and show off their hard earned inherited wealth. Full of spoiled and coddled frat boys and sorority girls not to mention other high class snobs from Camden who look down their noses at everyone else. Boring and shallow poeple to hang around for the most part.
Must be a Bonetown or Elgin redneck.
Ummm OK

AOL

#9 Mar 30, 2008
All those frats and sororities who spent thousands of dollars on the cup should invest that money in alcohol safety, railroad safety, and fire safety classes.

I would almost bet NO ONE from Camden even goes to that debacle anymore.
Think Twice

AOL

#10 Mar 30, 2008
All you ladies that spent 100-200 dollars on hats for the race and are thinking about returning them, think again. If there is ANY sing of wear or rain spots or even smell like hair product, you just got yourself a hat to wear again next year.
RaceFan

AOL

#11 Mar 30, 2008
Think Twice wrote:
All you ladies that spent 100-200 dollars on hats for the race and are thinking about returning them, think again. If there is ANY sing of wear or rain spots or even smell like hair product, you just got yourself a hat to wear again next year.
Why on earth would they?? They inherited all their money, right?? They dont need to return them. They tossed those in the bin before they left. Sheesh! Bitter people when it concerns Camdenites!
Leah Creighton

Columbia, SC

#12 Mar 30, 2008
John Byner wrote:
Went to Camden for the races for 5th time this year.
Thoroughly enjoyed and plan to bring several friends next year.
The best part is out of about 75,000 people,did not see a single filthy looking black thug!!
Funny because I sure saw plenty of filthy looking white people. People like you continue to make SC look uneducated.
Guess

Ashburn, VA

#13 Mar 30, 2008
Think Twice wrote:
That little trick is pulled by the spooks.
They're not welcome anywhere in Camden.
Lenora

Redmond, WA

#14 Mar 30, 2008
Guess wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed the city seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the "undesirables".
Lenora

Redmond, WA

#15 Mar 30, 2008
Ummm OK wrote:
All those frats and sororities who spent thousands of dollars on the cup should invest that money in alcohol safety, railroad safety, and fire safety classes.
I would almost bet NO ONE from Camden even goes to that debacle anymore.
You'd lose!!
underhay

Chapin, SC

#16 Mar 30, 2008
since when is vomiting in a port-a-potty a "southern tradition"?
Gee Whiz

AOL

#17 Mar 31, 2008
Guess wrote:
<quoted text>
I work in retail and you would be surprised at who pulls this junk on a regular basis. It is not limited to one socio-econmic group of people. Remember the Golden Girl episode where Blanche buys a dress she cant afford with the intention of returning it after she wears it? I see it EVERY DAY. Just another version of dishonesty.
Most of the people you THINK have money only have credit card debt. When the bill comes due, they start returning to get the balance on the card down. It's all about appearances and keeping up with the Joneses
Jack Black

West Columbia, SC

#18 Mar 31, 2008
KC Resident wrote:
I would respond to you; however you are not worth it. I am much better than your simpleton a@@.
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#19 Mar 31, 2008
It's just an excuse for the slightly affluent to get plastered in the middle of the day.
Homey the Clown

AOL

#20 Mar 31, 2008
I sit here and read all of these jealous people saying bad things about people who attend the cup, and I just laugh. While I have not attended in the past couple years, it is a fun event. All of you people bashing cup goers are just low class trash with nothing to do but be haters. Maybe this is the reason your lives are so unsuccesful. Get a life scumbags.
Dianne

Sumter, SC

#22 Mar 31, 2008
RaceFan wrote:
Thank you. I am not from Camden but I have attended the cup for years.

It might surprise some people to know that many people from all over the United States attend this event every year. The group on one side of us this year was from New York and the group on the other side was from North Carolina. I've met some very nice and interesting people there.

This event brings alot of money in for the medical center but it brings alot of money into the general area also. The people who attend the event buy food, gas, lodging, etc. while they are in the area.

As far as the person who commented that there were no "black thugs" there. I did not see anyone black or white there who made me think "thug". I did see white people, black people, Asian people, etc. Everyone seemed to be having a pretty good time. Everyone seemed to be getting along very well too.

Jack Black

West Columbia, SC

#23 Mar 31, 2008
Homey the Clown wrote:
I sit here and read all of these jealous people saying bad things about people who attend the cup, and I just laugh. While I have not attended in the past couple years, it is a fun event. All of you people bashing cup goers are just low class trash with nothing to do but be haters. Maybe this is the reason your lives are so unsuccesful. Get a life scumbags.
I agree, and if they would be a little open minded and attend, they would realize that all sorts of people attend "The Cup", Of which, most behave. The ones that dont get tasered or arrested or both.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Man Of God Auto Sales LLC (Nov '13) May 10 Crystal Little 6
new to elgin.. (Aug '15) Apr 26 Zeke the Pinhead 2
News Delay on Statehouse workersa compensation bill ... Apr 25 Lone Ranger 1
Moving to Rock Hill, SC in about a month (Sep '06) Mar '16 Pickles McGee 93
Mike Koy or Varyda Koy? (May '13) Oct '15 Anonymous 5
Brendle (Dec '14) Aug '15 joan 8
News Kershaw deputies arrest two in heroin investiga... (Jun '15) Jun '15 fiveO 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lancaster Mortgages