Mike Harden commentary: Debating paro...

Mike Harden commentary: Debating parole for rapist of 36 sheer ...

There are 62 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 8, 2009, titled Mike Harden commentary: Debating parole for rapist of 36 sheer .... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

There was something about the burble of laughter and clink of glasses from the bar that made Carol Zerman's recounting of her rape seem strangely discombobulating -- like trying to sit shiva on a carnival midway.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
sam

Lewis Center, OH

#1 Nov 8, 2009
jackson can not be set free ever!
CHUCKO

United States

#2 Nov 8, 2009
Carol, rest easy now.. your safe for the moment. These parole things are automatic, and its up to alert folks, sadly victims, to come out of the closet and awaken their nightmares, in order to see trash like this kept in the slammer. It would be easier to say "one and your done" One conviction for rape, or child molestation and your dead! It would save a lot of heartache, as well as money.
CMAF

Marysville, OH

#3 Nov 8, 2009
CHUCKO wrote:
Carol, rest easy now.. your safe for the moment. These parole things are automatic, and its up to alert folks, sadly victims, to come out of the closet and awaken their nightmares, in order to see trash like this kept in the slammer. It would be easier to say "one and your done" One conviction for rape, or child molestation and your dead! It would save a lot of heartache, as well as money.
I don't know how to react to your idea. On one hand, it seems awfully harsh to execute over one episode, but on the other, these people cannot be rehabilitated. Look to Cleveland for that one. It is obvious that we are not strict enough with penalties for rapes and child molestations, but I don't know what the right answer is.

In this case I just hope the doctor is never released.
Mike

Dayton, OH

#4 Nov 8, 2009
Good article, Mike...a "call to arms"... This guy is vermin. I would be glad to write a letter, and I will. Thanks.

To the post that mentioned "one & done," I understand your angst. However, our justice system is NOWHERE near perfect & we must always have avenues, as ingrained in our Constitution, to prove innocence as well as guilt.
Kelly

Powder Springs, GA

#5 Nov 8, 2009
What a waste of time to even hear his request for parole. He should never get a parole hearing even. HIs sentence will never be enough for his victim but he at least will die in prison where he can harm no one else.
Lives to Ride Horses

Ashburn, VA

#6 Nov 8, 2009
I knew Dr. Jackson. While he was not my physician, he treated a very
good friend of mine, and in fact saved her life at least once. I found him
skilled as a doctor, dedicated to his profession, compassionate and
funny. I was never so shocked in my life when he was arrested for being
the Grandview Rapist. His arrest was very tramatic for my friend, as I
am sure it was for many of his patients. I liked the guy. Having said that,
I think releasing him would be a very bad idea. It would not only be unfair
to his victims, it would very likely put more women at risk. Dr. Jackson is
right where he needs to be to insure the safety of our female population.
I feel bad for him and his family, but I don't want him out on the streets
again.
Truth Speaker

Columbus, OH

#7 Nov 8, 2009
You're the one who's crying wolf, Harden. No one is going to parole Jackson. You get to pose as a cheap hero by taking on a straw man. You''re a bore, you've been a bore for decades, and I why you continue to have a column is this paper is a mystery known only to you and the owner.
wm mercer

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#8 Nov 8, 2009
With the sentence this guy received, why is he evenn being considered for parole?

A sentence should be a sentence should be a sentence.
Hey Now

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Nov 8, 2009
Didn't Hardin want to give houses to illegal alien lawbreakers instead of to law abiding citizens who were victims of BigBanking?

Too bad for this rapist that he's not an illegal alien because then Hardin would have demanded his parole, payment of $5million from the state, and a free mansion in Dublin.
Rowana Beverly Seymour

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 8, 2009
Why not also ask, why they are refusing to parole those who committed one crime, are model prisoners, and have a "0" risk to society? There are thousands of model prisoners who, by the parole board's own assessment, are a "0" threat to society and have earned their parole. Prisoner Yvonne Groudle has a sentence of 8-25 for the attempted murder of a viscious husband, and has served nearly 20 years wasting taxpayer dollars! She waived her rights to a full trial, being told whe would be parole in five years! Why are they refusing to parole her? Ginny Lefever, a model prisoner and former RN, also convicted in the death of her abusive husband,has been denied parole several times, no threat to society. Why do these two model prisoners who have served their time and more, sit in prison and are no threat to anybody? The courts ahve ordered the parole board to give "meaningful" parole hearings, which means they just come up with more creative reasons to keep thousands hostage on those bunks, growing old and costing taxpayers money, keeping prison staff employed watching senior citizens! And there are over 6,000 such prisoners who are first time offenders, denied parole, adding $150,000,000 a year to the department of corrections coffers while schools struggle and other agencies have to cut back. We all know there is no cure for a serial rapist. Why not report on a real issue? The parole board are con artists themselves, making everyone think they will release rapists like this guy, and use the paranoia they generate to keep thousands hostage...and in fact "create" overcrowded conditions just by refusing to parole thousands. Those who have earned a parole and are first time offenders, have received their rehabilitation, should be released immediately, especially the two white women I have mentioned. Your articles should provoke thought, factual discussion, I would think, not play into the hands of tax money grabbing beaurocrats!
I Care

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 8, 2009
Lives to Ride Horses wrote:
I knew Dr. Jackson. While he was not my physician, he treated a very
good friend of mine, and in fact saved her life at least once. I found him
skilled as a doctor, dedicated to his profession, compassionate and
funny. I was never so shocked in my life when he was arrested for being
the Grandview Rapist. His arrest was very tramatic for my friend, as I
am sure it was for many of his patients. I liked the guy. Having said that,
I think releasing him would be a very bad idea. It would not only be unfair
to his victims, it would very likely put more women at risk. Dr. Jackson is
right where he needs to be to insure the safety of our female population.
I feel bad for him and his family, but I don't want him out on the streets
again.
Dr. Jackson was my daughter's physician at the Ecco Family Health Center many years ago.(She was 14 at the time.) He was a very good & caring doctor. He, too saved her life. When the rape arrest hit the news (with his picture) we both had a bit of a hard time recognizing him. The eyes were different, very different. It was like someone else was living in his body.
I cannot even begin to imagine the lifelong pain & suffering his victims are going through. I also agree that prison it the best place for this doctor, even though I had felt prior to his arrest the he was one of the finest doctors we had ever met.
The still unfolding case in Cleveland shows what can happen we ha rapist does not do his time.
Marilyn

Bluffton, OH

#12 Nov 8, 2009
I'll repeat what my father said when it came to rapists: "Castrate every rapist before putting them away for life without chance for parole." If anyone feels any compashion for a rapitst, they are sick.
traveler

Washington Court House, OH

#14 Nov 8, 2009
What an absolute insult.
What are they thinking?
If 35 wasn't enough,lets turn him loose and see how many women he can terrorize.
I've got a parole for him!!!!!!!
Linda

United States

#15 Nov 8, 2009
I remember this Dr. Jackson rape spree. This D.I.C.K. needs to remain behind bars, forever. He is a danger to every woman. He is an animal.
Anony

Galloway, OH

#16 Nov 8, 2009
Quote from the article: "Jackson was convicted of 36 rapes and 52 related felonies and sentenced to 282 to 985 years in prison."

How in the world can this guy, convicted of that many crimes and sentenced to that many years in prison, even be considered for parole? I agree that it's crying wolf every 10 years. I'm sorry for his victims who have to even consider that this man may be set free every 10 years!
Riley King

Mason, OH

#17 Nov 8, 2009
The Parole Board needs a complete overhaul. Im not sure how to accomplish this but they have been out of control for a long time.
Riley King

Mason, OH

#19 Nov 8, 2009
Marilyn wrote:
I'll repeat what my father said when it came to rapists: "Castrate every rapist before putting them away for life without chance for parole." If anyone feels any compashion for a rapitst, they are sick.
Castration does no good, animals like this use screwdrivers, baseball bats and other tools to complete the assault.
Vox Populi

Columbus, OH

#20 Nov 8, 2009
This case is a perfect exammple of why we need the death penalty for serious offenses other than just murder. The fact that Jackson is even alive is an embarrassment. Not only should he die for what he did to this lady, he should be killed so we don't have to pay for his sewage for the rest of his worthless life. We can subsidize his worthless life, but we can't assist the adoption of poor children to give them a chance (yesterday's article). Our society is pathetic.
Tom-R2

Galion, OH

#21 Nov 8, 2009
And how safe have our communities been with the likes of Billy Milligan - an "alleged rapist" who is also mentally ill (which is why he was not convicted) running loose? The entire student body of Ohio U in Athens knew him by sight, and everyone made sure no one was ever around him alone. The threat he posed was lessened that way. I'm sure we have a lot more convicted rapists out on the street, and a whole lot of 'rapists' who have not been arrested or convicted as well.

While I'm not a fan of Dr. Jackson, I think that since the laws call for periodic reviews of his incarceration status, he needs to have those reviews. The parole board knows what time it is ...
If I Only Had a BRAIN

Columbus, OH

#22 Nov 8, 2009
Quit calling him DR.! Surely he long ago lost his medical license, and should be referred to as FORMER Dr., at best....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Empty Head of Donald J. Trump 30 min White Fangs 7
John Lewis Heckled on Airplane Flight 56 min They cannot kill ... 2
PRESIDENT TRUMP says 'DACA is probably dead' bl... 59 min They cannot kill ... 8
STILL WAITING for someone to explain how the wo... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 13
Is Trump Healthy or they LYING? 1 hr Republicans Shill... 7
Ex military Jan 11 Marked 2
Kara Jo Jan 11 Loser 2

Lancaster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lancaster Mortgages