Diocese to Spend $2.5 Million on Prie...

Diocese to Spend $2.5 Million on Priest House

There are 13 comments on the www.WGRZ.com story from Dec 9, 2008, titled Diocese to Spend $2.5 Million on Priest House. In it, www.WGRZ.com reports that:

In these tough economic times, the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo is going forward with a new multi-million-dollar renovation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.WGRZ.com.

Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#1 Dec 9, 2008
$2.5 million? Where is this money coming from? Catholic Charities? All the closed churches?
Now an ex-Catholic

Tonawanda, NY

#2 Dec 10, 2008
This is obscene.

Anyone who has grieved a church closing should go to the library and pick up a book on The Vatican Museum. See the sheer amount of art treasures stored in Vatican City. Ask why the church couldn't pull itself up by its bootstraps, sell off some of their booty and fund the floundering churches rather than close them.

There is one hallway there -- a LONG one -- that has medieval tapestries that are each bigger than the side of a house. Rooms are jammed with statues and busts, so tightly packed that you can only look from the doorway, there is no room to walk into the room.

The church is rich, rich, rich, but it won't help itself. That's up to your tithe each week and then it punishes you by closing your churches.

The fact they would turn right around and spend this sort of cash on a priest's house is OBSCENE. I'm done with it all. I'm going to find a less greedy and corrupt religion that is keeping its policies up to date with the needs of the world.(Read: No more telling poor third world countries that birth control is a no no.) For God's sake, LITERALLY, I'm ashamed I haven't done this before.
Anonymous

AOL

#3 Dec 10, 2008
Is there a logical reason why CKS or operating church rectories cannot be used to house the retired priests? There is so much emptiness at the seminary, this would make it vital again. There are beautiful grounds, chapels, dining hall,kitchens, gym, recreation areas, living areas....it's perfect! Or why not let a pastor living alone in a big rectory share his home complete with food, heat,utilities all taken care of already? Gee, there could even be more than one priest on premise to serve the needs of the sick, dying or troubled. I don't get it.

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#4 Dec 10, 2008
2.5M to house 15 retired priests? Seems perfectly reasonable.
anonyMous

East Hampton, CT

#5 Dec 10, 2008
gammy????
My Pew Stinks

United States

#6 Dec 10, 2008
I'm still angry that Assumption Church is going to replace perfectly good working "green" lighting with new.

Since: Aug 08

Venus, PA

#7 Dec 10, 2008
All this inexpensive real estate in Buffalo and they need this much money for a renovation? It is not even a new build!

Hypocrisy like this is one of the reasons I left the faith. Here we have priests going ahead with their McMansion renovation while telling us we all need to sacrifice for the border jumpers so they too can eat at our table.
fed up with the mess

United States

#8 Dec 10, 2008
Why don't they build a priest jail for all of the priest child molesters?

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#9 Dec 10, 2008
fed up with the mess wrote:
Why don't they build a priest jail for all of the priest child molesters?
Regular jails are just fine.
DONT MESS WITH THE ZOHAN

Buffalo, NY

#10 Dec 10, 2008
The steam bathhouse for the little boys was 2 million.

The drive that will "ALWAYS" fail.

“Freak of the Week!”

Since: Dec 08

Bangkok

#11 Dec 10, 2008
AND JESUS WORE SANDALS AND RODE A DONKEY!

“Ding dong, Wacko's DEAD”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#12 Dec 10, 2008
And lived on bread and fish and the kindness of strangers.

The church sure has a loftier lifestyle these days, huh?
watchdog

Palm Coast, FL

#13 Dec 10, 2008
Church pissed away millions donating to Acorn so this project looks quite positive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lancaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
horny (Aug '12) 20 hr gay 2
The True Story About the Webkinz Virus! (all we... (Jun '07) Feb 20 Kiwi1234 421
News Man admits sex abuse of daughter's friends (Aug '07) Jan 27 Cody Grucza 287
David King and Tony Minonno Anyone? Jan '18 Yup 2
Jill K shaves her Ladyparts (May '16) Jan '18 Grendel 8
News West Seneca Police Involved in Shooting Incident (May '10) Jan '18 Tweetylover 31
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Contract for Depew r... (May '08) Oct '17 Your Name Here 136

Lancaster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lancaster Mortgages