Hard Times On The Plains - Lamar Ledger

Hard Times On The Plains - Lamar Ledger

There are 5 comments on the Lamar Ledger story from Jun 9, 2010, titled Hard Times On The Plains - Lamar Ledger. In it, Lamar Ledger reports that:

Hard Times on the Plains By Rachel Thompson "In the early 30's a drought began [and] lasted seven years, all who went through it will never for-get the dust bowl.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lamar Ledger.

LKC

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jun 9, 2010
Everyone talks about the 1930s, but I can remember running home because I could see big dust clouds approaching Mayhew Heights (Lamar) in what must have been the late 1950s as well. Sky turned brown. Seems our Mother was always talking about how much dust came into the house through windows, etc. This in a 1950s-built house.

Kent Christensen
Ulysses Kansas

Richfield, KS

#2 Jun 14, 2010
The good ole days
ledger reader

Ordway, CO

#3 Jun 17, 2010
Nice story, Rachael.
Bill Wilson

Westcliffe, CO

#4 Jul 1, 2010
The dust storms in the 1950's were not as bad as the 1930's, but bad enough. East-West fence rows blew full enough for livestock to walk over them. Geese & Duck died in the air and fell to the ground.
Hick Farmer

Denver, CO

#5 Jul 31, 2010
I loved the dirty 30's and the dirty 50's (the stories are too rich not to share). But what I remember most are the 60's and 70's dirt blowing storms. Those were boat rocking terrifying times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lamar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dairy King Jiffy burger Recipe (Jan '07) Aug 20 Chuck Sloggett 32
Cherry stem;-) (Jan '15) Jun '16 Anonymous 2
The new Holiday Inn (Oct '15) Oct '15 sad mama 1
News LPD arrests 2 suspects on counterfeiting charges (Jan '14) Sep '15 Clutchpak77 5
News Rarest Of Colorado Tornadoes Have Happened 3 Ti... (May '15) May '15 Jingle Clown 1
get out of jail free (Sep '14) Sep '14 old smoke 1
News Herbert D. Reyher - Lamar Ledger (Nov '09) Jun '14 Theodore Wells 3

Lamar Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lamar Mortgages