Lakewood Issues Car Idling Ban

Lakewood Issues Car Idling Ban

There are 55 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Aug 27, 2010, titled Lakewood Issues Car Idling Ban. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

Drivers are no longer allowed to leave their cars idling after a new law went into effect on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
chip

Cleveland, OH

#1 Aug 27, 2010
idle this... jerks, semi trucks idle for hours and hours, oh, but that's ok... pathetic
Rudy

Cleveland, OH

#2 Aug 27, 2010
Save the planet. Good job Lakewood. This is a good first step. Next we need to shut engines off at red lights.

Trucks and SUVs should be banned from our highways. They are filthy polluters and always come out ahead in accidents. Do it for the kids.

Roads should be converted to green spaces so the birds have some place to go.

Liberals know what's best for you.
Rudy
Jim

Medina, OH

#3 Aug 27, 2010
Ha Ha, what a joke lawyer came up with this one, now the city has to get cops to time people idling their cars? Another stupid law on the books so lawyer politicians can feel like they are accomplishing something. Ha Ha! LMAO!!!! Lakewood is now becoming a communist city like Brooklyn and their stupid laws, LMAO again, Im sorry I can't stop LMAO.
greg

Cleveland, OH

#4 Aug 27, 2010
Let's eliminate drive-thru's at banks & fast food places
Jim

Medina, OH

#5 Aug 27, 2010
Hey Nickie, LMAO OMG this is hilarious the lakewood residents are just now realizing how foolish they were for putting you in office, LMAO.
Excuse me maam but do you know how long you have been idling your car? But officer it's 5 degrees outside and im stuck in traffic. What about the cops who sit and idle for hours on the side of the road waiting for speeders? OMG are you kidding me, LMAO. Nicki needs to trash her college degree and get a degree in common sense.
RPIERCE

Crowley, TX

#6 Aug 27, 2010
not surprising since europe has adapted this method for years , i am only surprised it has just gotten to america for us to adapt to this gas saving technique.....
Judy

Tulsa, OK

#7 Aug 27, 2010
ridiculous! Certainly the cops have something better to do than sit around timing how long people leave their cars idling-at least I hope they do.

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#8 Aug 28, 2010
Judy wrote:
ridiculous! Certainly the cops have something better to do than sit around timing how long people leave their cars idling-at least I hope they do.
They'll be idling their cars while waiting.
Greg

Columbus, OH

#9 Aug 28, 2010
If this stupid law is about 'changing behavior' as the councilman says it is, what law can they pass to prevent councilmen from passing stupid laws? I guess policemen are going to hanging out in front of schools in the winter and start writing tickets to all those terrible parents polluting the environment.
Mark

Monroeville, PA

#10 Aug 28, 2010
Being forced and losing freedom again. I see the good point to this, but to make this a tickable offence is preposterous and is just plain revenuing. Hands in our pockets.
Joe

Akron, OH

#11 Aug 28, 2010
Does that mean we can ticket your own cops while they're in the donut shop hitting on a skirt and sucking up a few cups of free coffee?
Tina

Oberlin, OH

#12 Aug 28, 2010
Well honestly the laws a joke a total waste.. then again. If people do not have the common sense that tells you what any mechanic or "greenie" can tell you maybe it's not funny.
I can't belive anyone would let thier vehicle run for 5 min for no reason lolol. Its bad for your car, even in the winter,and its bad for your wallet. Anyone who does not have the common sense to do in the first place isnt going to listen to the law I suppose though.
Concerned Mom

Vermilion, OH

#13 Aug 28, 2010
I try to turn my car off when I can. However, I have an infant and sometimes I have to have my car idle for a few minutes to keep the air conditioner on. As soon as the windows are opened in the car, the hot air comes in and the car heats up quickly. I am not going to risk my child's safety just to turn my car off so it doesn't idle. When I am by myself I will certainly turn the car off and open the windows. Having not read the law, are there any exceptions? What about the elderly? I often see them drop each other off at a store to get prescriptions and what not and the driver often does not get out of the car. Turning the car off and opening the windows for them could also be very dangerous. I would like to read the law before I decide if I agree with it or not, but I hope the lawmakers took these things into consideration. Yes it is important to respect our environment, but we must take into consideration other people's situations.

“[type a headline here]”

Since: Apr 10

Strongsville, OH

#14 Aug 28, 2010
Tina wrote:
Well honestly the laws a joke a total waste.. then again. If people do not have the common sense that tells you what any mechanic or "greenie" can tell you maybe it's not funny.
I can't belive anyone would let thier vehicle run for 5 min for no reason lolol. Its bad for your car, even in the winter,and its bad for your wallet. Anyone who does not have the common sense to do in the first place isnt going to listen to the law I suppose though.
Go get in your car and sit in it when it's -5 outside and your stuck in traffic.... You'll pray for global warming then. Idling is a great way to make sure the oil is running through your vehicles engine before you increase RPMs (sorry Revolutions Per Minue).... This way you don't cause unneeded wear and tear to your engine because it isn't lubed up.. I let my truck warm up for 10 - 30 minutes in the winter.
John

Cleveland, OH

#15 Aug 28, 2010
When someone hits and kills a child because their windshield frosted over because they didn't warm up their car, I will be there hold the city council and the entire police department criminally responsible for their negligence and ignorance. If I'm on the jury deciding the driver's fate, I will always vote "NOT GUILTY." And when it comes to the wrongful death civil suit, I will find the driver 0% negligent, and the city 100% negligent.

The people on city councils are nothing more than idiots, and it's time to tax these losers severely for their stupidity.
blueangel

United States

#16 Aug 28, 2010
what about those cars that have a diesel engine and need to idle. I better not see a cop sitting oh his cell phone and the car is idling! It will be time for a citizen arrest!! Lakewood law makers are just stupid!!!
Pat

Lakewood, OH

#17 Aug 28, 2010
Officers idle at the donut shops..or when their napping
R J N

Isle Saint George, OH

#18 Aug 28, 2010
Thats going to be really hatrd when you are picking up kids in school. Has Antonio seen what it looks like after school is out?
WHO CARES

Berea, OH

#19 Aug 28, 2010
IT JUST A CROCK TO MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE CITY.
SinisterMace

Cleveland, OH

#20 Aug 28, 2010
These progressives won't stop until they're regulating how many times you urinate, sneeze, defecate, pick your nose, blink, squint, scratch an itch or ay other mundane thing. When does the breathing ban take effect? I can't wait to pay my carbon offset to some progressive company so I can breath freely without the Green Gestapo popping out from behind a bush.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Well Well 20,775
Help Jan 19 Looking 1
Was Dumb fired from Rovers Morning Glory (Aug '14) Jan 17 Scars 44
News Canton man charged in slaying of beloved Clevel... Jan 16 jdz1987 1
Marcia Fudge Jan 15 word 1
News High School Senior Elected To School Board (Nov '09) Jan 14 thenewthemoonvill... 2
News Cleveland Clinic doc apologizes for anti-vax co... Jan 14 VACCINES MAIM KILL 2

Lakewood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakewood Mortgages