One dead, another injured, in Montcal...

One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shooting

There are 676 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids story from Jun 30, 2008, titled One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shooting. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids reports that:

At least one person is dead, another injured, after an overnight shooting near Lakeview.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 34
Next Last
Michelle

United States

#740 Oct 1, 2009
It looks like Barney Fife and the gang found their man. No comments now that he has been found and back in jail.....
brew

Cedar Springs, MI

#741 Oct 1, 2009
Michelle wrote:
It looks like Barney Fife and the gang found their man. No comments now that he has been found and back in jail.....
when did they finally catch him? glad they got the trash off the streets
hello

Bronson, MI

#742 Oct 1, 2009
Michelle wrote:
Thanks for the update. When was he arrested? I hope he is put away for a very LONG time.
my theory

Sparta, MI

#743 Oct 2, 2009
Dca - Crystal MI wrote:
This is what was on the Daily News website.
http://www.thedailynews.cc/main.asp...
6/30/2008 8:26:00 AM The Daily News - Greengille Michigan
Breaking News Update
1 dead, 1 hospitalized after overnight shooting near Lakeview
Jessica Dudenhofer
Staff Writer
CATO TOWNSHIP - One person is dead and another is hospitalized after a shooting near Lakeview early today.
According to Montcalm County Sheriff Bill Barnwell, shots were fired shortly after midnight at a home at 7861 Edgar Road, near Vining Road just south of M-46. He said the sheriff's office originally received a call at 12:33 a.m. from Kelly Ann Keating, 42, who resides in the home, saying she was receiving threats from an estranged boyfriend, Robert Stevens, 44, hometown unknown.
Barnwell said Keating had called a male friend to come to her home to be with her. Barnwell said Stevens and his son, Zach Stevens, 24, hometown unknown, "began to try and break into the home."
"Eventually they did make it into the home and a confrontation took place inside the home," Barnwell said. "Zach and Robert were both shot by the male friend of Kelly's. Both fled the home where Zach collapsed in a neighbor's home and died. Robert was shot in the leg."
Barnwell said Robert Stevens was transported to Spectrum Health United Memorial Kelsey Hospital in Lakeview and then transferred by AeroMed to Spectrum Health System's Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids where he was listed in fair condition.
Barnwell said Keating was "home along with several others when the incident occurred."
Barnwell said officials from the Michigan State Police Crime Laboratory in Grand Rapids were still at the site "processing the scene" at midday today.
It doesnt say in the article what kind of threats they were, were they death threats. If that is the case it doesnt sound like the father cared anything about his own sons safety by involving him in this situation. It will be interesting to see if the shooter who was there to protect the woman will be arrested for murder or not.
hello

Bronson, MI

#744 Oct 2, 2009
my theory wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesnt say in the article what kind of threats they were, were they death threats. If that is the case it doesnt sound like the father cared anything about his own sons safety by involving him in this situation. It will be interesting to see if the shooter who was there to protect the woman will be arrested for murder or not.
They already decided there would be no charges brought against the shooter. And yes, There were death threats made. These wo guy were low life losers. The dad deserves to rot in prison for the rest of his life.

Since: Jul 07

Grandville, MI

#745 Oct 2, 2009
my theory wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt the shooter will be charged.This happened over a year ago. I'm sure he would have been charged by now. They broke into her home climbing through a window after they were told to leave.

I would have made sure I was a better shot & saved us all some money by housing the scum bag father.
Suprise

Grand Rapids, MI

#746 Dec 11, 2009
Lakeview man sentenced for his role in son's shooting death
By John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press
December 11, 2009, 1:44PM
STANTON -- A Lakeview man was sentenced to prison for an attack that led to the shooting death of his 24-year-old son.
Robert Stevens, 45, was sentenced to 20 months to four years in prison after he and his son, Zachary Robert Stevens, broke into the father's ex-girlfriend's home, where they were shot by a friend of the ex-girlfriend.
The younger man's estranged wife also was inside the home when the June 20, 2008, shooting occurred. The ex-girlfriend had called a friend to protect her after the father threatened to harm those inside the home on Edgar Road.
The friend, not identified by police, shot the father in the leg, then shot the son in the chest as the son beat him, a witness said. Montcalm County prosecutors ruled that the gunman, who reportedly warned the father and son that he had a handgun, acted in self-defense.
Stevens, sentenced Thursday by Circuit Judge David Hoort, had earlier pleaded guilty to felonious assault.
hello

Bronson, MI

#747 Dec 11, 2009
Suprise wrote:
Lakeview man sentenced for his role in son's shooting death
By John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press
December 11, 2009, 1:44PM
STANTON -- A Lakeview man was sentenced to prison for an attack that led to the shooting death of his 24-year-old son.
Robert Stevens, 45, was sentenced to 20 months to four years in prison after he and his son, Zachary Robert Stevens, broke into the father's ex-girlfriend's home, where they were shot by a friend of the ex-girlfriend.
The younger man's estranged wife also was inside the home when the June 20, 2008, shooting occurred. The ex-girlfriend had called a friend to protect her after the father threatened to harm those inside the home on Edgar Road.
The friend, not identified by police, shot the father in the leg, then shot the son in the chest as the son beat him, a witness said. Montcalm County prosecutors ruled that the gunman, who reportedly warned the father and son that he had a handgun, acted in self-defense.
Stevens, sentenced Thursday by Circuit Judge David Hoort, had earlier pleaded guilty to felonious assault.
He should have recieved more than a couple years for what he has done. One things for sure, he will never cahnge his stripes.
gonetothedogs

Wilmington, DE

#748 Dec 11, 2009
20 months to 4 years???? they think that will reform him? I doubt it. To bad James only shot him in the leg!
hello

Bronson, MI

#749 Dec 14, 2009
STANTON - A Lakeview man was sent to prison for up to four years Thursday after a domestic dispute that resulted in the shooting death of his son.

Robert Stevens, 45, was apprehended Sept. 15 after living as a fugitive since January. He pleaded guilty Sept. 29 to felonious assault after originally being charged with first-degree home invasion.

Stevens appeared alongside his attorney, Dianne Longoria of Howard City, for sentencing Thursday before Judge David Hoort in 8th Judicial Circuit Court.

Montcalm County Sheriff's deputies responded to a domestic dispute at about 12:30 a.m. June 30, 2008, at 7861 Edgar Road. Kelly Ann Keating, 42, who lived in a modular home there, said she was being threatened by her estranged boyfriend, Robert Stevens.

Keating called James Godbehere, 37, of Lakeview, to come to the house to be with her. Keating was on the telephone with Montcalm County Central Dispatch when Stevens and his son, Zachary Stevens, 24, attempted to break into the home. The father and son eventually gained entry through an unlocked door.

Several people were inside the home at the time of the break-in, including two children and Zachary Stevens' estranged wife. The people hid in a back bedroom while Godbehere stood outside the room armed with a semiautomatic handgun.

Robert Stevens was armed with a club and was warned by Godbehere not to proceed any farther into the house. Robert Stevens didn't back off, however, and was shot in the leg. Zachary Stevens then allegedly attacked Godbehere and was shot in the chest.

The Stevenses fled the scene. Zachary Stevens collapsed and died on a neighbor's property.

"The defendant did taunt Mr. Godbehere as he was inside the residence trying to protect these people," Montcalm County Prosecutor Andrea Krause said on Thursday. "While they were outside, he did say,'Jimmy, come out and play.' I do believe that increased the fear of the people inside the home.

"This was a very horrible situation that the defendant brought upon himself, so to speak, drinking and going over there," she added. "The victim was trying to protect the women and children who were in there and perceived a huge threat coming their way. None of this had to happen."

Longoria said Stevens deals with the death of his son on a daily basis and can't be punished more than he is already punishing himself. She asked for a jail sentence instead of prison time.

"I'm just very sorry all this happened," Stevens said. "I wish there was a different way it had been handled."

Hoort said a prison sentence was appropriate and sentenced Stevens to from 20 months to four years.

"It's almost like it's not real," said Hoort of the incident. "It's like it's something on TV. I just can't imagine something like this happening, but it did and you bear a great responsibility for what happened."

Godbehere was not charged with a crime because Krause ruled he acted in self defense.

According to court records, Robert Stevens and Zachary Stevens have been charged with or convicted of 48 counts over the years.

How ironic that the shooters (protector's) name is Godbehere. hmmmmm.
dustyn peterson

Grand Rapids, MI

#752 Jul 26, 2010
they fu**ing murdered zac because him and his dad were living there at the time

“Lucky”

Since: Sep 08

Charm City

#753 Jul 26, 2010
dustyn peterson wrote:
they fu**ing murdered zac because him and his dad were living there at the time
They were NOT living there at the time. They just felt they could bully anyone at anytime. I guess they found out differently, didn't they?
someone

Fremont, MI

#755 Mar 23, 2012
they werent bullying they were getting bullyed they lived there at the time
joe

Rockford, MI

#756 Sep 22, 2012
Zack got everything he had comeing to him. You can try to be a bad ass for only so long. Lakeview is better off now
shutthefuckup

Midland, MI

#757 Sep 29, 2014
Batch 37 Pain is Good wrote:
Stevens could not control himself and it got his son dead. 44 years old, he should of known better than to invade someone's domain.
Excuse me, but he wasn't the one who invaded. He was protecting the land. So, read before replying untrue statements. Kthanksbye
shutthefuckup

Midland, MI

#758 Sep 29, 2014
joe wrote:
Zack got everything he had comeing to him. You can try to be a bad ass for only so long. Lakeview is better off now
Excuse me, but my little sister is without a father figure to that incident. So STICK A FKING CACTUS UP YOUR SHTHOLE BEFORE COMMENTING ABOUT SOME BEING BETTER OFF GONE. KTHANKSBYE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2bdr house Jan '17 Sue 1
Wheatland Music Tickets for sale? (Aug '16) Aug '16 kismetjp 1
very concerned parent (Jan '16) Jan '16 CONCERNED PARENT 1
Eric Cotter (Nov '14) Nov '14 Taken advantage of 1
News Construction Leaves One Lane Open On US-131 (May '12) May '12 jhsupport 1
News UPDATE: Missing Montcalm Co. Amish girl recover... (Mar '08) Dec '11 Mike 96
Debate: Election Poll, Sept 2011 - Lakeview, MI (Oct '11) Oct '11 Romney is awful 1

Lakeview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeview Mortgages