One dead, another injured, in Montcal...

One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shooting

There are 676 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids story from Jun 30, 2008, titled One dead, another injured, in Montcalm Co. shooting. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids reports that:

At least one person is dead, another injured, after an overnight shooting near Lakeview.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 34
Next Last
unknown

Waterford, MI

#1 Jun 30, 2008
wtf
Dca - Crystal MI

Stillman Valley, IL

#2 Jun 30, 2008
This is what was on the Daily News website.
http://www.thedailynews.cc/main.asp...

6/30/2008 8:26:00 AM The Daily News - Greengille Michigan
Breaking News Update
1 dead, 1 hospitalized after overnight shooting near Lakeview

Jessica Dudenhofer
Staff Writer

CATO TOWNSHIP - One person is dead and another is hospitalized after a shooting near Lakeview early today.

According to Montcalm County Sheriff Bill Barnwell, shots were fired shortly after midnight at a home at 7861 Edgar Road, near Vining Road just south of M-46. He said the sheriff's office originally received a call at 12:33 a.m. from Kelly Ann Keating, 42, who resides in the home, saying she was receiving threats from an estranged boyfriend, Robert Stevens, 44, hometown unknown.

Barnwell said Keating had called a male friend to come to her home to be with her. Barnwell said Stevens and his son, Zach Stevens, 24, hometown unknown, "began to try and break into the home."

"Eventually they did make it into the home and a confrontation took place inside the home," Barnwell said. "Zach and Robert were both shot by the male friend of Kelly's. Both fled the home where Zach collapsed in a neighbor's home and died. Robert was shot in the leg."

Barnwell said Robert Stevens was transported to Spectrum Health United Memorial Kelsey Hospital in Lakeview and then transferred by AeroMed to Spectrum Health System's Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids where he was listed in fair condition.

Barnwell said Keating was "home along with several others when the incident occurred."

Barnwell said officials from the Michigan State Police Crime Laboratory in Grand Rapids were still at the site "processing the scene" at midday today.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

#3 Jun 30, 2008
Stevens could not control himself and it got his son dead. 44 years old, he should of known better than to invade someone's domain.
Justin

United States

#4 Jun 30, 2008
Trailer or Double-Wide.
ryan

Kalamazoo, MI

#5 Jun 30, 2008
i would have done the same thing if they broke into my house
sue

Erie, CO

#6 Jun 30, 2008
i have to agree with ryan. you must protect yourself and its too bad it came to this. the man lost his own son because of a girlfriend. so sad.
Jim

United States

#7 Jun 30, 2008
Poor Protoplasm.....some won't get this but some will
old_timer

Syracuse, NY

#8 Jun 30, 2008
Let this be a lesson for any of you tough guys.
oh my

Flat Rock, MI

#9 Jun 30, 2008
I hope it was worth having his son killed over. He does not deserve to live. Nothing could be worth your son dying. Goes to show how the son was raised.
oh my

Flat Rock, MI

#11 Jun 30, 2008
NO CHARGES wrote:
If someone is breaking into my house, they are going to die. This is the way it should be and the State should have no say in this. It's just too bad the friend didn't kill the father too as to eliminate both of these idiots. I'm guessing they are all white trailer trash, but if you are going to break into someone's home (trailer or not) then you should be prepared to die.
amen

“Use your common sense.”

Since: Jun 08

Rockford

#12 Jun 30, 2008
It sounds like it would be fair to say they brought it upon themselves. Real nice Dad. He should have took one to the chest instead of his son.
Concerned Citizen

Granbury, TX

#13 Jun 30, 2008
I must say that many of you do not know the dynamics of any of these people, and until you do, you really should not make snide comments. There is right and wrong in everyone. NO ONE deserves to die especially when all of them were extremely close at one time.
We should not make judgment until all facts are known. The male with the gun, all he had to do was call the police a second time as they were already enroute. Why did he have to start shooting when Kelli had already called the police? Obviously, Bob and Zach were not armed.
Does anyone even know what kind of threats Bob even made??? NO, we do not. So please, do not judge until you know the facts and the people involved.
Both of these men have family and close friends, who are just as shocked as anyone so please consider all the facts before condemning them.

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#14 Jun 30, 2008
What on earth is soooo important that one would need to break into someone's home at midnight?!(unless the person were in trouble or something, in which case they should call 911)

A life has now been lost due to someone's act of stupidity. Hope it was worth it.

And to the man that pulled the trigger....Bravo! I'd have done the same thing.
jeepie

Lansing, MI

#15 Jun 30, 2008
Too bad some lessons got to be learned this way. "Some people, you just can't reach" it was once said.

“Use your common sense.”

Since: Jun 08

Rockford

#16 Jun 30, 2008
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I must say that many of you do not know the dynamics of any of these people, and until you do, you really should not make snide comments. There is right and wrong in everyone. NO ONE deserves to die especially when all of them were extremely close at one time.
We should not make judgment until all facts are known. The male with the gun, all he had to do was call the police a second time as they were already enroute. Why did he have to start shooting when Kelli had already called the police? Obviously, Bob and Zach were not armed.
Does anyone even know what kind of threats Bob even made??? NO, we do not. So please, do not judge until you know the facts and the people involved.
Both of these men have family and close friends, who are just as shocked as anyone so please consider all the facts before condemning them.
Here's your facts: THEY WERE IN HER HOUSE. End of story. Boom Boom Bye Bye!!! Don't pretend that you wouldn't do the same if someone broke into your home with unknown intentions.
angry citizen

Farmington, MI

#17 Jun 30, 2008
I just want to know what living in a trailer or double wide have to do with any of this???? Where are you people from??? I reside in Montcalm county and I know the victims in this situation. Shame on you for thinking that "they all must be white trailer trash".
Brother Noah

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Jun 30, 2008
Why are not all parties involved in this incident ostracized, if not vilified, as when violence takes place in SE Grand Rapids? Seems to be a lot of “understanding” when white folks kill someone….but not when black folks kills someone. If this had been SE Grand Rapids, people would be implying that they were ALL guilty of something and that it was good that the son got killed and that the father should have gotten killed too….along with the shooter.
Concerned Citizen

Granbury, TX

#19 Jun 30, 2008
Sorry Joe 100, but you do not know the facts. You only know what you are reading. This is called, gossip. And yes, if some stranger was breaking into my house and I felt threatened, I would definitely not hesitate. However, the shooter and the victims of the shooting were not strangers. There has been a forever enemy issue between them. So, please understand. It is just sad that we have all came to this point in life. Killing is never the answer.
Allegan redneck

United States

#20 Jun 30, 2008
jeepie wrote:
Too bad some lessons got to be learned this way. "Some people, you just can't reach" it was once said.
"...and that's the way he wants it, well...he get's it." :-)

Since: Oct 07

out in the sticks

#21 Jun 30, 2008
Concerned Citizen wrote:
It doesn't matter exactly what threats were made. They were breaking into a home around midnight. If someone had already called the police AND a friend for protection, obviously she felt threatened for her safety and well being. And when someone is breaking into your home at that time of night, you don't know if they are armed or not.

Also, when you live in the country, who knows how long it will take police to get there? With a State Police post in Lakeview, the police should have been there already. If they have had previous problems with police involvement, who knows how seriously they take the threats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2bdr house (Jan '17) Jan '17 Sue 1
Wheatland Music Tickets for sale? (Aug '16) Aug '16 kismetjp 1
very concerned parent (Jan '16) Jan '16 CONCERNED PARENT 1
Eric Cotter (Nov '14) Nov '14 Taken advantage of 1
News Construction Leaves One Lane Open On US-131 (May '12) May '12 jhsupport 1
News UPDATE: Missing Montcalm Co. Amish girl recover... (Mar '08) Dec '11 Mike 96
Debate: Election Poll, Sept 2011 - Lakeview, MI (Oct '11) Oct '11 Romney is awful 1

Lakeview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeview Mortgages