Man shot, killed

Man shot, killed

There are 161 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Sep 5, 2009, titled Man shot, killed. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

CLEARLAKE A man was killed in his Clearlake residence early Friday morning. Anthony Cruz, 30, died as a result of a single gunshot wound to the chest, according to the victim's girlfriend, who witnessed the incident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
fed up

Kelseyville, CA

#1 Sep 5, 2009
this is why people should not be able or it be legal to grow this stuff, i feel bad about the victom but pot is as bad as meth
Gypsy

Lower Lake, CA

#2 Sep 5, 2009
If this instance does not convince the public that marijuana needs to be legalized, then I am running out of ideas. That is, if the motive for this murder was, in fact, theft of grass.

Why would someone - even lazy and brain-dead thieves - risk incarceration, if not their very lives - to steal from someone else's garden when they can buy a pack of joints at the local liquor store?

As bad as meth? "Victom?"

Please.
NorCal Gal

United States

#3 Sep 5, 2009
You are right on! The perp to this killing was either a very young person (who knows nothing about pot grows) or someone who shot this guy for a completely different reason. As stated by the girlfriend of the vic. The pot wasn't ready yet, it still had about 1 1/2 to two months to go! Pot is not the problem, people are. This is no different than someone coming into my yard to steal a set of tires e.g. rim, tools etc. and that happens to people all the time.
Gypsy wrote:
If this instance does not convince the public that marijuana needs to be legalized, then I am running out of ideas. That is, if the motive for this murder was, in fact, theft of grass.
Why would someone - even lazy and brain-dead thieves - risk incarceration, if not their very lives - to steal from someone else's garden when they can buy a pack of joints at the local liquor store?
As bad as meth? "Victom?"
Please.
Wow

Napa, CA

#4 Sep 5, 2009
Legalized? I couldn't disagree more, this is an example of what you get when it's legal as it was in this case.
A friend of his

United States

#8 Sep 5, 2009
Anthony Cruz was a good man he did not deserve what happend to him, I really hope everyone knows that the first officer on the scene claimed he did not know CPR. So he let him die!!!!!! Clearlake police department should go down for that!!! RIP ANTHONY CRUZ
Pro Fourth

United States

#9 Sep 5, 2009
I am truly sorry for Anthony's family...God bless!
nobody

Lakeport, CA

#12 Sep 5, 2009
Oh yah and I hope they catch up to and question this m****r f@#%#r that goes by the last name of Forest that anthony beat up the other day and nobody can seem to find now.
Wow

Napa, CA

#13 Sep 5, 2009
Gypsy wrote:
Wow:
As I understand it, the pot in question was legal for the victim to grow. It is still illegal for you or I to grow, purchase, or use, yes?
It stands to reason that it would also be illegal for the perp to get his hands on. I cannot remember the last time I read of someone being murdered for his pack of cigarettes.
Or am I wrong?
I don't think you're wrong, but how difficult is it to get a recommendation in Lake County or anywhere in California for that matter? That allows you to grow six plants and possess up to half a pound of bud legally under state law.

Under surrent state law it is completely legal for someone with a recommendation to cultivate, possess and use MJ. There is no reason for any person to steal it, except that it's easier to get and requires no work, only risk.
Clearlake Mom

United States

#14 Sep 5, 2009
A friend of his wrote:
Anthony Cruz was a good man he did not deserve what happend to him, I really hope everyone knows that the first officer on the scene claimed he did not know CPR. So he let him die!!!!!! Clearlake police department should go down for that!!! RIP ANTHONY CRUZ
NICE job CLPD
Gypsy

Lower Lake, CA

#15 Sep 5, 2009
Wow:

That was kind of my point. It was legal for Mr. Cruz to grow and possess his grass, but the pond scum that took his life was left to resort to illegal means to obtain his own. I assume.

If marijuana was finally legalized, this kind of crime (if marijuana were the underlying factor) would fall by the wayside for the most part - illegal aliens setting up camp in our National forests at the behest of Mexican Cartels are now Americana and there is no longer any friendly "touchy-feely" means of eradicating them. Aside from them, legalization would solve a lot of problems.

Either way, a murderer (or murderers) is/are on the loose in my town. I will investigate all further noises in the dead of night heavy from now on.
GMS

Waterloo, IA

#16 Sep 5, 2009
So wait... people are blaming CPD for his death? Are you kidding me? It sounds like there were actually a few MOTIVES here. I'm sure this guy who goes around getting in fights was an upstanding citizen who NEVER spent anytime at Hill Road, right? No criminal history, right? And also, why is a guy who recently had hip replacement surgery getting into a fight? Yep, but it's all CPD's fault. Glad you cleared that up for me.
Just Me

Bettendorf, IA

#17 Sep 5, 2009
A friend of his wrote:
Anthony Cruz was a good man he did not deserve what happend to him, I really hope everyone knows that the first officer on the scene claimed he did not know CPR. So he let him die!!!!!! Clearlake police department should go down for that!!! RIP ANTHONY CRUZ
Where do you get this info? Word of mouth? Do you know condition of victim at time officer arrived? Do you know for sure that CPR would've helped victim? Quite possibly not with a gunshot to the chest.
Duringogirlz

United States

#18 Sep 5, 2009
cpr would not save an individual with a gunshot wound to the chest! DUH
morons

Redwood City, CA

#19 Sep 5, 2009
Legalizing this crap isn't going to stop this kind of behavior. Have you never seen the news or read a news paper? Some idiots will take anything whether it's legal or not - it's because they're lazy & weren't taught any respect or work ethics. Anyone that wants a med marijuana card can have one and can grow their own but they're still out there thieving & killing for it. Give this arguement a rest.
Wow

Waterloo, IA

#20 Sep 6, 2009
Gypsy wrote:
Wow:
That was kind of my point. It was legal for Mr. Cruz to grow and possess his grass, but the pond scum that took his life was left to resort to illegal means to obtain his own. I assume..
And I submit, had he wanted a medical MJ card he could have gotten one as easily as a safeway card, if not moreso. Legalizing it won't make otherwise criminal people suddenly productive members of society, it just gives them more targets as people are less inclined to be secretive about their gardens.
one angry soldier

Waterloo, IA

#21 Sep 6, 2009
Legalizing pot really wouldnt have any bearing in this case. Anthony kicked the shit out of the guy that raped him reptively when he was 13, just two days prior to his murder. you put the pieces together...
Gypsy

Lower Lake, CA

#22 Sep 6, 2009
Wow & "Morons":

Although marijuana legalization is not the true issue here ...

Thieves becoming productive members of society is not now nor has ever been the point. The lazy, stupid, and criminal will continue to break laws because they are too lazy, stupid, or criminal to do otherwise.

Few people I know cultivate their own tobacco. Or distill their own alcohol. Or manufacture their own Tylenol. Most people I know obtain these things from a market.

So why is it necessary for those with Medical Cards to cultivate their own grass? What possible good can come of allowing grows to crop up all over town where those too lazy or too stupid to grow their own have access to them?

Criminals and thieves will remain criminals and thieves. Perhaps if marijuana is legalized, these particular criminals and thieves will stay at the level of petty shoplifters, rather than trepassers and possibly murderers.
llindalu

Milpitas, CA

#23 Sep 6, 2009
gypecker wrote:
No doubt about, pot is a gateway drug, pure and simple.
With the pot man, you get the meth man, the x man, the roxy man, the snow man, etc ad inf. Pot obviously makes you dumb and lazy.
Marijuana has not been a gateway drug for me or anyone I know, It has many medical uses and it works for pain management with less side affects than pills now produced.I use medical marijuana and I am not lazy or am I stupid, and do not have a urge to use herion or meth. Get The Facts GYPECKER
Troy

San Ramon, CA

#24 Sep 6, 2009
gypecker wrote:
No doubt about, pot is a gateway drug, pure and simple.
With the pot man, you get the meth man, the x man, the roxy man, the snow man, etc ad inf. Pot obviously makes you dumb and lazy.
Alcohol is the gateway drug. And to the person who said pot is like meth; really? Pot has three side affects- sleepy, happy and hungry. Meth's side affects are dangerously increased heartrate, loss of karatene and constant damage and scarring of the frontal lobe, just to name a few. You really don't know much about drugs if you really think that. Have to be informed before your opinion means anything.
Troy

San Ramon, CA

#25 Sep 6, 2009
oh and I can start chronicling the murders that took place during alcohol prohibition but it would take all the bandwidth that Topix has. And they would be make the pot killings, etc look like petty theft in comparison. Legalize it and this problem goes away. But, the boys in DC get money from Coors, JD, Bud, the wine industry etc to play ball so it won't happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Views and News: Nationalization of retirement (Aug '10) Fri SLW higher interest 138
Price of water in Lucerne Jul 12 vjsacramento 1
Red, White, and Blue Extravaganza Jun 25 howefortunate 1
News County looks to cut energy cost Jun 24 Solarman 1
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Jun '17 jjbateman5678 1,218
News Lake County sheriff cuts off agencies' access t... (Apr '13) May '17 Don White 20
Aggressive Assault At Hopland Casino Captured o... May '17 grannies dyapur 9

Lakeport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeport Mortgages