Guest Commentary -- Locally grown organic produce can

On April 7 the Santa Rosa Press Democrat published an article about Lake County that is well worth reading. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

Sunnyvale, CA

#1 Apr 22, 2009
"Locally grown organic food" may be loaded with heavy metals, particularly mercury, but you can be sure all the transuranium elements are here as they all go together. If you were born here and raised on nothing but local food you could be very sick long before you were an adult eating nothing but "natural" food.
What the "flower children," "natural food" freaks and "environmentalists" do not know about food and trace elements fills many books. Our security lies in trade and finding what we do well, like wine growing and production. That cannot be done in most of the United States and can be very profitable for our people. From that enterprise we can then buy safe food grown by farmers using the miracles that modern chemistry has brought to those knowledgeable enough to learn from it.
Philip Murphy

United States

#2 Apr 22, 2009
Adrian Vance wrote:
"Locally grown organic food" may be loaded with heavy metals, particularly mercury, but you can be sure all the transuranium elements are here as they all go together. If you were born here and raised on nothing but local food you could be very sick long before you were an adult eating nothing but "natural" food.
What the "flower children," "natural food" freaks and "environmentalists" do not know about food and trace elements fills many books. Our security lies in trade and finding what we do well, like wine growing and production. That cannot be done in most of the United States and can be very profitable for our people. From that enterprise we can then buy safe food grown by farmers using the miracles that modern chemistry has brought to those knowledgeable enough to learn from it.
I'm unfamiliar with that miracle of modern chemistry that removes mercury from soil, could you please provide us with that info?
Also could you explain how ANY form of conventional farming is sustainable?
Also, could you provide us with data that shows how much mercury is in the fruit and nut crops we grow here?
Can't? Hmmmm.

Sunnyvale, CA

#3 Apr 23, 2009
Philip Murphy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm unfamiliar with that miracle of modern chemistry that removes mercury from soil, could you please provide us with that info?
Also could you explain how ANY form of conventional farming is sustainable?
Also, could you provide us with data that shows how much mercury is in the fruit and nut crops we grow here?
Can't? Hmmmm.
You are right Phil, there is no such modern miracle and for once you agree with me. Some will be absorbed by the plant and be found in its products, thus we need to eat food from other places. We can consume small amounts. In fact we cannot avoid it, but in this area we have an unusually high amount of it and eating food grown here exclusively is not a good idea. Look what it did to the Pomos and Elemns.

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Apr 23, 2009
The first post here was to another piece and it should be removed.

I would pay no attention to anything by John Zebelean. In a previous controversy with me he claimed to have a Ph.D. in physics, but wrote several things that were scientifically nonsensical. He also claimed to have worked for Lawrence Livermore Lab and NASA for 25 years. I called the Personell Departments of each and in two days both called me back to say they had no record of the man! On that basis he is a fraud in my opinion.
Provocateur

Half Moon Bay, CA

#5 Apr 23, 2009
Adrian
Just skip the plants and drink those modern chemicals straight. Your diet explains a lot about you. You are what you eat.
Where is 9 green when you need a balanced conversation?

Sunnyvale, CA

#6 Apr 23, 2009
Provocateur wrote:
Adrian
Just skip the plants and drink those modern chemicals straight. Your diet explains a lot about you. You are what you eat.
Where is 9 green when you need a balanced conversation?
There is nothing like a personal attach to illuminate the discussion. Yours is inappropriate as you have no idea what I eat and your last sentence makes no sense.
Philip Murphy

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2009
Adrian Vance wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right Phil, there is no such modern miracle and for once you agree with me. Some will be absorbed by the plant and be found in its products, thus we need to eat food from other places. We can consume small amounts. In fact we cannot avoid it, but in this area we have an unusually high amount of it and eating food grown here exclusively is not a good idea. Look what it did to the Pomos and Elemns.
everyone at Elem was tested for mercury levels a few years ago, they live right next to the mine tailings and guess what, there isn't a problem apparently. Even though the results were never made public outside the tribe because there have been no complaints about it (and I'm sure Jim Brown would have told us), I think we can safely assume those levels were not very high.

So a-drain, you need to either show us data measuring mercury in the soils of the big valley, scotts valley and upper lake AND then show us how much is going into the crops themselves or just shut up about it-deal?
Philip Murphy

United States

#8 Apr 23, 2009
Adrian Vance wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing like a personal attach to illuminate the discussion. Yours is inappropriate as you have no idea what I eat and your last sentence makes no sense.
that's an inside joke a-drain, as nine green is another well-known local whack-job, which you would know if you were "in the loop".

Sunnyvale, CA

#9 Apr 23, 2009
Philip Murphy wrote:
<quoted text>
everyone at Elem was tested for mercury levels a few years ago, they live right next to the mine tailings and guess what, there isn't a problem apparently. Even though the results were never made public outside the tribe because there have been no complaints about it (and I'm sure Jim Brown would have told us), I think we can safely assume those levels were not very high.
So a-drain, you need to either show us data measuring mercury in the soils of the big valley, scotts valley and upper lake AND then show us how much is going into the crops themselves or just shut up about it-deal?
What is it you cannot understand about my posing a question? I am saying tests should be done on the soil and the food. It may be possible that many, if not most, plants do not incorporate heavy metals in their corms, cotylydons or paranchymas to our effect and distress. That is all I am saying. Do you often have such trouble with the language?
Provocateur

Half Moon Bay, CA

#10 Apr 23, 2009
Adrian Vance wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me You'll know if and when I attach you. Let's see no organics nothing natural plants are poison that limits what goes in your Safeway cart. And your personal favorite climate change is good for us all. Go back to your patented bush kissing.
Philip Murphy

United States

#11 Apr 23, 2009
Adrian Vance wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it you cannot understand about my posing a question? I am saying tests should be done on the soil and the food. It may be possible that many, if not most, plants do not incorporate heavy metals in their corms, cotylydons or paranchymas to our effect and distress. That is all I am saying. Do you often have such trouble with the language?
no trouble comprehending my native tongue, you said "look what it did to the people at elem and the pomo" or something to that effect, that's not saying testing was a good idea, you said you have already seen damage and determined it's cause, an amazing claim based on what? You said people shouldn't eat just locally grown food for the same reason, again, based on what data?
Either use the English langauge more carefully or don't use it quite so much, it isn't helping your cause.
Philip Murphy

United States

#12 Apr 23, 2009
oh yeah, the Elem tribe is a POMO tribe, I think the Miwoks were on the other side of the Lake, though I guess it depends on the time period in question as to their location(s).
Norman

Humble, TX

#13 May 5, 2009
There are some severe health issues post Starlink, one named morgellons
Get_Real_Adrian

Kelseyville, CA

#14 Sep 22, 2012
Adrian Vance wrote:
The first post here was to another piece and it should be removed.
I would pay no attention to anything by John Zebelean. In a previous controversy with me he claimed to have a Ph.D. in physics, but wrote several things that were scientifically nonsensical. He also claimed to have worked for Lawrence Livermore Lab and NASA for 25 years. I called the Personell Departments of each and in two days both called me back to say they had no record of the man! On that basis he is a fraud in my opinion.
First of all, they can't legally give any information as to past employees at either Livermore or NASA, especially for the type of work Dr. Z performed, which I personally also confirmed just to find out who is and is not talking bulls***. I also doubt you have the qualifications of any kind yourself to even come close to making such a claim. For whatever reasons you want to slander Dr. Z are obviously personal and without basis or fact of any kind whatsoever. I personally also verified he did work at both NASA and Livermore through the proper channels. Dr. Z also appeared on the Johnny Carson show not long after he was given credit for inventing the compounds used in metals for golf clubs still used today as there have been no inventions that are proven to work better since. Like anyone else, I was skeptical but I personally don't go around slandering people for any reasons, especially without merit or any proven by documentation. If you called NASA right now and asked who was working on such things now, you would be laughed at and scoffed then told to never call again because first of all such information is classified. Seriously, calling someone names to slander is nothing less than childish and if anything a last ditch effort to try and prove one's intelligence without fact or merit. There is a difference between making intelligent conversation and smacking one's lips to make a bunch of noise nobody wants to hear. Don't take this personally but maybe once you have some real proof then maybe it's best to just keep trap shut.:)
Rosesforyou

Lakeport, CA

#15 Sep 23, 2012
A-drain, I am very offended by the "look what it did to the Pomos and Elems"? What, in fact, did it do to them? What have you been eating to make you so nasty and mean?
Peace and Love

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm update: Most roads open, Lake Mendocino g... 11 hr Here Is One 38
Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Dec 24 BLINDWAY 1,202
Alternate Current -- Mass amnesia in the age of... (Feb '10) Dec 20 Adrian Vance 27
Create a carbon tax (Dec '10) Dec 20 Adrian Vance 55
Alternate Current -- A time of opportunity - wi... (Apr '10) Dec 20 Adrian Vance 3
Medical marijuana (May '10) Dec 20 big budz in kona 203
SPCA of Clear Lake committed to finding homes f... Dec 4 saveourpitbulls 1

Lakeport News Video

Lakeport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lakeport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lakeport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lakeport

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:32 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:32PM
San Francisco 49ers: Jim Harbaugh Leaves with a Win, but the Future Is Uncertain
Bleacher Report11:36 PM
Broncos Defense Shines in Week 17 Win over Raiders
Bleacher Report12:51 AM
Broncos Hitting Stride on Both Sides of the Ball Entering Playoffs
NFL 6:17 AM
Signs point to Justin Smith retiring after 14 seasons
Yahoo! Sports 6:52 AM
Falcons fire coach Smith after 6-10 season