Boats, Breathalyzers and a calibration conundrum: Witnesses des...

LAKEPORT Testimony began Thursday morning with a giggling woman, Jen Patterson, who was just a girl when she witnessed the April 29, 2006 crash involving Bismarck Dinius at the tiller of Mark Weber's sailboat that was struck by a personal powerboat piloted by Lake County Sheriff's Office Capt. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
DrDanger

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Jul 31, 2009
So I guess they didn't stop at Konocti like most here have said they did. Perdock wasn't at the bar at Konocti...
Oh, but it must not matter that a witness in the boat involved in the collision testified....
Skip Soden

Gaylord, MI

#2 Jul 31, 2009
IF the sailboat had proper navigation lights on and was struck by a power boat, the pilot of the powerboat is clearly at fault. If the sailboat was not proper displaying navigation lights in the dark, the operator of the sailboat is negligent.
Motor Mouth

United States

#3 Jul 31, 2009
Why is it such a foreign concept that both could be at fault? Life is not always binary.
DrDanger

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Jul 31, 2009
Skip Soden wrote:
IF the sailboat had proper navigation lights on and was struck by a power boat, the pilot of the powerboat is clearly at fault. If the sailboat was not proper displaying navigation lights in the dark, the operator of the sailboat is negligent.
100% correct. But all the Gilligan (Dinius) supporters here won't believe that. It has to be that bad cop in his big bad motorboat at fault!!!!
Baloney, a bunch of drunk sailors dead in the water with their lights off on purpose so they could look at the stars better is NEGLIGENCE!
Sailboats have the right of way, but not under those conditions which were willfully created by the sailboat knuckleheads.Tragic that it lead to loss of life, but they have no one to blame but themselves.
Skip Soden

Gaylord, MI

#5 Jul 31, 2009
There is a much more detailed account of this case on the Boat US website in the e version of their magazine, "Seaworthy". After reading that article, there is much reason to suspect a massive but sloppy attempt to cover up the evidence and disregard eye witness testimony in a effort to protect the driveer of the power boat who is a deputy chief of the local sheriff's department.

The navigation lights were on according to many witnesses, the power boat was going 50-60 mph according to many witnesses, and there is substantial suspicious activity regarding alsohol testing of the driver of the powerboat.

Anytime someone dies in an avoidable boating accident, it is a tragedy. The bigger tragedy here seems to be the attempt to shift blame to a barely moving sailboat and away from a speeding power boater who just happens to be a cop.
Skip Soden

Gaylord, MI

#6 Jul 31, 2009
Dr Danger:

Have you read the "Seaworthy" article? There is quite a lot of testimony there worth reading. My son is a cop, so I am not anxious to place blame there. However, I did see a story on CNN yeterday showing two cops in their patrol car discussing how they were gong to word their report to protect an at fault off-duty officer from getting his rightful blame for causing an accident when he hit a car driven by an intoxicated woman.

Wierd how the circumstances of the boating case are somewhat similar.

If you can't find the "Seaworthy" article, let me know and I will try to forward it to you. It seems pretty impartial and raises many questions.
Joke

Clearlake, CA

#7 Jul 31, 2009
Lets not forget that the trial has just begun. Futhermore, we have only heard from the prosecutions witnesses, which by the way have only helped the defense out with their testimony.
and that is was already proven by expert testimony in the civil case that the lights were on! We have yet to hear from them and the defense witnesses who saw the Lights on! It's lookin pretty darn good for those knukleheads and for the dinius supporters!
DrDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
100% correct. But all the Gilligan (Dinius) supporters here won't believe that. It has to be that bad cop in his big bad motorboat at fault!!!!
Baloney, a bunch of drunk sailors dead in the water with their lights off on purpose so they could look at the stars better is NEGLIGENCE!
Sailboats have the right of way, but not under those conditions which were willfully created by the sailboat knuckleheads.Tragic that it lead to loss of life, but they have no one to blame but themselves.
DrDanger

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Jul 31, 2009
Skip Soden wrote:
Dr Danger:
Have you read the "Seaworthy" article? There is quite a lot of testimony there worth reading. My son is a cop, so I am not anxious to place blame there. However, I did see a story on CNN yeterday showing two cops in their patrol car discussing how they were gong to word their report to protect an at fault off-duty officer from getting his rightful blame for causing an accident when he hit a car driven by an intoxicated woman.
Wierd how the circumstances of the boating case are somewhat similar.
If you can't find the "Seaworthy" article, let me know and I will try to forward it to you. It seems pretty impartial and raises many questions.
From what I've read yesterday, a passenger in the powerboat (she was 15 at the time, now 18) tesified she didn't see the sailboat until just before impact.
I don't believe the lights were on.
Joke

Clearlake, CA

#10 Jul 31, 2009
She was 14 at the time and her and her father have been friends with Perdock all of her life. Would you cover for a dear friend? By having her in his boat and her substaining injuries, he should have been charged for child endangerment drunk or not!
DrDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I've read yesterday, a passenger in the powerboat (she was 15 at the time, now 18) tesified she didn't see the sailboat until just before impact.
I don't believe the lights were on.
Joke

Clearlake, CA

#11 Jul 31, 2009
Also her statement was taken well after the fact by phone. Had plenty of time to discuss what was going to be said with Perdock. Reasonable doubt whether her and her fathers stories are true!
YellowTrike

Clearlake, CA

#12 Jul 31, 2009
Why is Perdock's job title included in every article and the other people's job titles left out?
CACA

Clearlake, CA

#13 Jul 31, 2009
Maybe because Perdocks recklessness has cost Dinius his job along with much more, and the newspaper is trying to make a point that Perdock should have been fired not demoted. But from what I was told, Perdock desk is totally cleared out and nothing remains showing he even works at LCSO anymore!
Gitch

Suisun City, CA

#14 Jul 31, 2009
Dr. Danger,
The girl only said that when SHE was with Perdock he didn't get out of the boat at Konocti. She and her Father weren't with him the whole night, his own account of events show that. Also, nothing was mentioned regarding them exiting the boat at Richmond.
Philip Murphy

Tracy, CA

#15 Jul 31, 2009
as is the custom at the R-B, mucho important info was left out of the story, like Morshed changed his story on whether or not he ordered beland not to PAS perdock.
Of course if you REALLY want to know the FULL story instead of just a jumble of data snippets you have to go to elcyenn, where EL does her usual complete, accurate, unbiased and professional job of relating the day's events in the courtroom.
Philip Murphy

Tracy, CA

#16 Jul 31, 2009
DrDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
100% correct. But all the Gilligan (Dinius) supporters here won't believe that. It has to be that bad cop in his big bad motorboat at fault!!!!
Baloney, a bunch of drunk sailors dead in the water with their lights off on purpose so they could look at the stars better is NEGLIGENCE!
Sailboats have the right of way, but not under those conditions which were willfully created by the sailboat knuckleheads.Tragic that it lead to loss of life, but they have no one to blame but themselves.
it is NEVER safe OR legal to operate a powerboat at those speeds under those visability conditions-EVER! Speed was the fatal factor here, period. The same kind of jerk who runs his powerboat at high speed at night with an exhaust cutout for more speed/noise is the same kind of jerk who doesn't have any regard for the safety of his passengers or anyone else on the lake. You have to be a nitwit just to own that kind of boat, as all it's good for is making noise, burning gas and compensating for a short pecker.
Mark D

Clearlake, CA

#17 Jul 31, 2009
Skip Soden wrote:
IF the sailboat had proper navigation lights on and was struck by a power boat, the pilot of the powerboat is clearly at fault. If the sailboat was not proper displaying navigation lights in the dark, the operator of the sailboat is negligent.
Sorry - that's where you are wrong. Regardless of lighting of the sailboat, the powerboat is wrong... Imagine a situation where its just a piece of floating debris instead - driving too fast to be able to avoid it would clearly be the fault of the powerboat operator - why should it be different for a big white sail on a sailboat?
Ted Olsen

AOL

#18 Jul 31, 2009
Mr. Perdock is so responsible for this accident. Any right thinking boater would not drive a boat at any speed in the dark. Not only that, but he used is position as a police officer to tamper with the evidence.

I feel so bad for Mr. Dinius. His condition has nothing to do with being hit by a 55 MPH boat and the death of Ms. Thornton. IF he was stone sober there was nothing he could have done!
offgrid

Barnesville, OH

#19 Jul 31, 2009
the stargazing lights off propoganda is a really stupid contention. Sailboat running lights are below deck level and focused to be seen by other boats hundreds , thousands of meters away. They do not illuminate the cockpit area and interfere with star gazing. They are visible to someone going at a safe nighttime speed of no more than 10-15mph, but any faster than that, and you wouldn't see them until it's too late.
MIA wingnuts

United States

#20 Jul 31, 2009
The lights were off, EOFS. Get over it. Chronic inebriate Dinius is solely legally responsible for the death of nother.
Dave

Windsor, CA

#21 Jul 31, 2009
Philip Murphy wrote:
as is the custom at the R-B, mucho important info was left out of the story, like Morshed changed his story on whether or not he ordered beland not to PAS perdock.
Of course if you REALLY want to know the FULL story instead of just a jumble of data snippets you have to go to elcyenn, where EL does her usual complete, accurate, unbiased and professional job of relating the day's events in the courtroom.
Phil you're so far up el's orifice I can smell the stench from here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Storm update: Most roads open, Lake Mendocino g... 18 hr Not a real One 6
Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Dec 7 campise 1,197
SPCA of Clear Lake committed to finding homes f... Dec 4 saveourpitbulls 1
Judge Mann to retire (Aug '09) Nov 30 rachael76 309
Mobile home park living is a rip-off (Jun '10) Nov 20 nbern 24
Bills Nov 20 HS in Mass 1
Big Gene McGaugh in hospital----- (Jan '09) Nov '14 dharper1000 40

Lakeport News Video

Lakeport Dating
Find my Match

Lakeport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lakeport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lakeport

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:53 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:53PM
If Not Harbaugh, Who Will Be Next HC of Raiders?
Bleacher Report12:59 PM
49ers Cut DL McDonald Amid Rape Investigation
NBC Sports 2:00 PM
Rivers doesn't practice, expects to play vs 49ers - NBC Sports
ESPN 2:46 PM
Rivers rests; confident he'll play Saturday
NBC Sports 3:10 PM
Timing of Niners' decision to cut Ray McDonald is strange