No they might eat my face off

Tell them they need to get a job

Throw something at them

avoid the homeless at all costs

Of course I would I've been there

Joe

Plant City, FL

#1 Dec 1, 2013
Its clear after a short review why the homeless seek a corner each day. Some people are good and want to "help", but hey I have a message for you. You may drive away feeling you have done your good deed for the day, by giving someone a dollar or 50.00 dollars. What about members of your own family if they asked? Ask yourself why are they on the street. Sure Jimmy carter did a big disservice with the mentally ill, by dumping them onto the street. But many are on the street due drugs, wine, and other addictive reasons. Your not going to go to heaven for being a giver. God makes this point clear why he said its not by your deeds or "good works". If You truly want to help, give to the services that help them, by feeding, clothing and providing places to sleep. When you give someone that dollar, their not going to run out and get a college degree. Hell, some of them have degrees. Don't be a tool for them to fine there next bottle or pill. Walking away can do more to helping them than you would think. Hard to do YES, but sometimes it makes them look at themselves and where there at in life. YEs, even a dime makes a difference and want help. There not going to get help, if you a do-gooder keeps giving them money. I know it makes you feel good. But its not helping that person to seek help. To then work to get them off the street. Think about what I am saying.
Larry

Plant City, FL

#2 Dec 3, 2013
Why not come up with an idea to PUT Yellow or whatever color parking meters into key places. This would be for the collection of extra change and that money collected could be given to a group or groups that directly help people on the streets.

I also want to help, but do worry that money I give them on the street. May be in fact going for something other than what could help them and not comfort them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
moving to lakeland Jan 6 253Wanda 2
News Family of Teen Mourns Dreams Cut Short (Jul '06) Dec 27 Sebrina Craig 6
News 18-year-old arrested in Lakeland double homicide (Mar '08) Dec '16 Anonymous 39
Lakeland Electric (Feb '06) Dec '16 Just saying 114
News Bernard and Janice Caffary of Lakeland, Fla. po... (Mar '15) Dec '16 JANICE CAFFARY 2
Snapchat Name Xchange (Dec '13) Nov '16 Blastingrobin 19
News 'I can't believe the polls are true': A day wit... Nov '16 Rev Cash Dollar 22

Lakeland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeland Mortgages