Abused child gets $18.2 million settlement from Florida

When she was 2, Marissa Amora was so badly abused at her Lake Worth home she suffered catastrophic brain damage that requires her to eat through a feeding tube. Full Story
Sandy

Thompson Falls, MT

#1 May 7, 2008
What happened to the DCF investigators? At a minimum they should have been fired.
rene howitt

AOL

#2 May 8, 2008
This is horrible situation and was unnecessary. I would love to know the reasoning the DCF caseworker had for sending the child back home. The voting public needs to know this happens all the time. Children may not end up dead or have life sustaining physical injuries but they will continue to be abused. Leaving life long emotional injuries that they can carry into their adult life. Then the cycle can continue. The point is that because of the laws most often caseworkers make the decisions they make. The law presumes that what is in the "best interest" of children is "family reunification." Caseworkers are trained to think in those terms. The voting public has got to make our politicians understand that the current parental rights laws have been in place for over thirty years. If the experts, laws, courts, policies, and mandates are so correct....shouldn't we be seeing better results by now? Children who are failed by their parents and the governmental system we have in place to protect them will become angry. Angry children will become angry adults. Angry adults will act out on society. So the cycle continues. See www.whosebestinterest.com . This won't go away unless we (the voting public) put pressure on our lawmakers to fix this.
www.whosebestinterest.com
Mustaigne

Lakewood, NJ

#3 May 11, 2008
As annoying as babies may be when they cry, I could never understand the point of actually doing anything physical to them to stop them from...being babies?

They should have tried harder finding that boyfriend of hers. I suspect she lied. I think the guy left after he saw what she did. The punishment for people like her should be MORE than stripping her parental rights. She should be sterilized. I wouldn't doubt if she's knocked up and living with another animal as we speak. What is the state going to do for an encore, the usual light sentence for child endangerment?
Ikeman99Cobra

Buckhannon, WV

#4 Apr 18, 2012
It is so rediculous when people think the gvt. needs to get more involved with how parents discipline their children. If parents could do a better job at spanking their children there wouldnt be so many spoiled little brats with no respect for teachers, adults and others let alone their own parents. Undisciplined children are more likley to be the ones who break the law and end up in jail, then kids who were taught right from wrong as children physically rather than the "time out" that DOES NOT WORK! I speak from experience from both sides. I was physically disciplined as a child, and so are my children, I have tried the time out method also. I am fine as an adult, not to mention having the most well mannered and best behaving children that I know of, and I am not blowing my own horn. The only thing that makes a child want to mind is the fear of punishment. Having a little "timeout" does not scare a child at all, thus they do not care how they speak or act toward you as a parent if the punishment for doing the wrong thing is not a thing they are scared of. Also, there is a difference between abuse and physical discipline!! If the child is not in any danger, then it should not be illegal, and leaving a bruise on their behind is NOT causing any danger to them!! If you beat them and cause open wounds and bleeding, that is going too far. Besides that the government should keep out and spend tax dollars and time on things to better community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
probation a joke (Sep '08) 4 hr Norman Goddard 62
does anybody know a Marlene glaab and how to ge... 4 hr Norman Goddard 4
Complaints bring Magic Jack an 'F' from Better ... (Aug '08) Feb 25 hologram warnings 267
05 durango hemi running hot Feb 23 Longhaulerusa 1
Suspected prostitutes and customers rounded up Feb 21 Big Bobby 3
single 39 yr old man!! Feb 21 Michael Young 1
Bed-wetting blues: Millions of adults suffer, too (Feb '09) Feb 21 globedrug 146

Rip Current Statement for Palm Beach County was issued at March 01 at 1:05PM EST

Lake Worth Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lake Worth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:48 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 3:48PM
Josh McCown decides to sign with the Cleveland Browns
CBS Sports 4:56 PM