Antioch's Balanced Budget

Posted in the Lake Villa Forum

The Facts

Antioch, IL

#1 Feb 27, 2013
Mayoral candidate Mary Gaborhack is running around telling prospective voters (the latest incident was at her fundraiser last week) that the ONLY reason Antioch's budget is balanced is because of the water rate change. That is simply NOT TRUE.

Do a little research and you will find the following:

- Water and sewer charges are NOT co-mingled with other Village revenue. By law, they go into something called an "enterprise fund" (municipal accounting jargon) and cannot be used for anything other than water and sewer projects.

- About 7 years ago, Antioch was FORCED by the EPA to replace a crumbling 50 year old water treatment plant. Not having done so - a project that had to be started by the Dorothy Larson administration - would have resulted in huge fines and even higher costs, plus would have constrained all Village growth until resolved.

- At the time the project was started (pre-economic crash), Larson and her bunch thought they could pay for the water treatment plant out of existing revenues. The crash came, the housing starts stopped, businesses cratered and commercial projects were put off or cancelled outright. Yet the cost of the facility remained.

- Village water rates had not been raised for 20 years. Why?- keeping rates low gave bragging rights to elected officials and bought votes for politicians.

- When the project was completed and the bills had to be paid, less people and businesses had to cover the cost of the mandated must do project.

- Before the water rate increases, Village water rates were close to the lowest in Lake County.

- Since the rate increases, water rates are about in the middle of water rates across Lake County.

- In fact, water rates should have been gradually raised over 20 years. They were not and everybody got a deal that was not sustainable with the cost of the new water treatment facility and lack of growth caused by the poor economy.

The budget is balanced because of the competence and diligence of the Village Board and Village staff. Those are the FACTS.

Mary Gaborhack. Wrong about Antioch's balanced budget. Wrong for Antioch.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#2 Feb 27, 2013
I'm not endorsing anyone in this race.
But i did like what you wrote and how you wrote it out.
Easy to follow style, with true facts.
A bit biased but then i'm usually guilty of that too in my writings.
It also lacks real solutions other then simply saying a tax increases should have been happening for 20 years.
Tax Man

Spring Grove, IL

#3 Feb 28, 2013
Mystery Man wrote:
I'm not endorsing anyone in this race.
But i did like what you wrote and how you wrote it out.
Easy to follow style, with true facts.
A bit biased but then i'm usually guilty of that too in my writings.
It also lacks real solutions other then simply saying a tax increases should have been happening for 20 years.
Water/sewer charges are not a tax. They are charges for consumption of a commodity and a service. The charge is directly related to what you use.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#4 Feb 28, 2013
As much as I hate paying the bill, our sewer/water rates seem to be in line with surrounding communities. That's the impression I get when talking with friends & family outside of Antioch.

I love the fact that our budget is balanced and we're in the black. I've not noticed any real decrease in services either. In my opinion, Larry Hansen and the current board are doing a good job.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#5 Feb 28, 2013
ps - anyone want to start a pool based on how many posts before we see the first Larry is gay or "insult your mother" post? I am going to say ... hmmmm... 5.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#6 Feb 28, 2013
News Reader 2011 wrote:
ps - anyone want to start a pool based on how many posts before we see the first Larry is gay or "insult your mother" post? I am going to say ... hmmmm... 5.
Having been the victim of insults many times in the past i would not be surprised by such posts.
But at least you know one thing.
I will NOT be one of those doing it.

Yeah as a bill payer myself i know its a service not a tax.
They can however charge whatever they feel its worth to you.
In that regard here in humble FoxLake i can say the bill has climbed a bit more then it should have.
Still its cheap when compared to my utilities.
Not Heard

Spring Grove, IL

#7 Mar 2, 2013
I met this woman a couple of days ago. Talks a lot. Does not listen. Completely overbearing. No real answers to questions such as where she would find money to fund correction of her list of perceived problems. All rhetoric. No facts. No understanding of the basic issues. I'll take a pass on her.
It is what it is

Waukegan, IL

#8 Mar 2, 2013
Gaborek -- she's fake just like the rest of the old Antioch former trustees and former mayor Larson. Anyone from the Antioch Republican Club for that matter is fake and have their own agenda and they will look at you and say one thing but be thinking something else -- they are a bunch of back stabbers and anyone with that type of connection is bad for the Village of Antioch. That also includes wanna be Trustee candidate for Township of Antioch Brent Bluthhardt. Don't vote for Gaborek and don't vote for Bluthhardt they would be a bad choice and not have the best interest of the voters in mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ambulance vote a mess 5 hr Curious 15
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) 9 hr Beverly 105
Stolen Drum Set Sat VeeDub 1
Red Light Cameras (Mar '12) Apr 22 dale 90
Round Lake man pleads guilty to soliciting chil... Apr 22 Times they are a ... 1
Culvert on Paradise lane between Lake Miltmore ... Apr 22 someguy 1
Review: Lakemoor Transmission Inc (Jul '08) Apr 22 GeorgeD 2
More from around the web

Lake Villa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]