Grimm

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

I was wondering why Grimm Road has been allowed to fall into such disrepair. I've heard things like, they will be tearing it up because it runs through wetlands. I've also heard that the businesses downtown would like to have it eliminated in an attempt to increase traffic downtown.

Neither of these seem logical. The road can't be that much of a detriment to the wildlife. And I don't really understand the reason why businesses would think this would help increase revenue.

Either way, by eliminating Grimm Road, the traffic at 83 and 173 would increase dramatically. I'm sure it would require 173 to be expanded to a 4 lane road in no time.

So as a town, does it make more sense financially to resurface the road, or to eliminate it? Thinking of the costs to resurface vs. close it and expand 173....resurfacing seems like the most cost effective solution.

Hypothetical scenario; If the businesses downtown did happen to see an increase in sales, would the tax revenue generated by these sales be enough to cover the construction costs to make 173 wider? If it is a wash, then I'm for it. But I'm firmly against it if it will end up being the burden of the tax payers, not the businesses.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

I'm not 100% certain, but think it may have something to do with the LCFP purchase of land on both sides of the road. Beyond resurfacing, the roadbed would have to be raised as well, as it's regularly under water in the rainy seasons. Maybe someone else knows more.

The potholes are good for slowing traffic down, if nothing else.:)
Grimm

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

FACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The Village has no control of Grimm Road. It is a Township road maintained by them. However, it is a fact that there are a high number of accidents at Grimm and 173. From my perspective, there needs to be a left turn lane off 173 or the intersection needs to be closed completely.
As far as using tax dollars on 173, 173 is a state highway. The Village has no control of it either and cannot spend tax dollars on it. Same with 83.
For more info, contact the Mayor, Village Board, or the Village Administrator
Thanks for the posts guys!
So, does the township just not care, or don't want to tackle a project like this? Even if the entire road was to be repaved, it seems simple compare to many of the other road construction I see.

Whom at the township is responsible to get such a project going? Is it Mark Ring? I ready some negative posts about him on here in the past. Of course it was around election time, so I just assumed it was his opponents supporters. Perhaps there was some truth to them. I would think this would be an obvious problem and relatively small project to complete.
KarmaChameleon

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

I would really like to see the township finally fix this road. I dont even like to use it anymore in fear of damage to my vehicle. It was a huge time saver. I always wondered why they would neglect it. Id imagine a lot more people also avoid it due to its condition. It could save antioch the need to expand 173 by reducing the huge backups we see on it.
Wait and see

West Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Well after the election , go to a township meeting and ask who ever wins to spend a couple bucks and fix the road.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lake Villa Discussions

Search the Lake Villa Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 18 min bosshog 3,851
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 min Chicagobunny 1,872
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 49,015
Review: S & S Landscaping & Nursery (Jun '10) 16 hr CMM 7
Antioch Police and Retail Ban Notices 16 hr Smokey McBongwater 39
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints 22 hr rosie 74
home choice stores (Aug '09) Tue Adam Scurry 17
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lake Villa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••