First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dogon

Chicago, IL

#81 Nov 14, 2012
I drink Cola wrote:
<quoted text>I may be wrong but I believe that it was 17 or 18 times Obama tried getting bills passed by the House and was denied every time. I dont think for one moment that this "fiscal cliff" will happen. Boehner has no choice but to work with Obama because of what happened in the elections...
You'd think so, but don't forget the Reds have driven us over the cliff before. Remember when they basically forgot about governing for about a year so they could concentrate on catching Clinton getting a hummer? Or more recently when the international markets downgraded US bonds because the Republicans were stonewalling on the very same issue looming now? It's that alternate-reality bubble thing again. In their minds, if they refuse to hammer out a deal, they're being "principled," and they expect the public will praise and reward them for it and blame Obama. You don't have to go any farther than about four comments up this thread to see it; just look at how "Mystery Man" characterizes Republican obstructionism as Obama being unwilling to "work with" Republicans - "work with" in this context apparently meaning "capitulate" as opposed to its usual political meaning of "compromise."

But there's no compromising with zealots. If you live in that conservative media dream world, you can get the idea that everyone agrees you're right except for a few evil traitors, and wind up believing you're the solution when you're actually the problem. The fascinating thing in the wake of the election is the refusal of people like Mystery Man to do any self-reevaluation after being handed a reality check of massive proportions. They just got their asses handed to them for being too extreme and doctrinaire, and their response is, "We need to be even MORE extreme and doctrinaire next time!" Yep, I agree. That's exactly what I would like to see them do, because it's nice to watch them lose.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#82 Nov 15, 2012
Dogon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, really? You're sticking with this issue?
Tell me you voted for John Kerry in 2004 because the Bush administration was asleep at the switch for 9/11, and I'll start taking you seriously on this. Otherwise, it's just more hypocrisy from the Fox News - Dick Morris - Glenn Beck media cocoon, where a debacle that costs four lives in a hostile foreign country is an impeachable offense for a Democrat, but a Republican who drops the ball is not to blame for thousands of lost lives on our home soil.
Seriously, man, this is why your guy lost the election, and why it surprised you (and him) so much. You guys live inside a conservative media bubble and never hear anything from outside it, or you'd know that nobody besides you blames Obama very much for Benghazi. Harping on it doesn't convince anyone of anything other than that you look obsessed and fanatic.
Inside that cozy little media pocket, it looks to you like everyone agrees with you. Well, they don't, and to watch you rattle off Limbaugh talking points as if no true American could believe anything else just shows that you don't venture out of that pocket very much, if at all. You don't actually speak for America, and you certainly don't have a monopoly on defining what America is or should be. That's up to Americans, and they just told you they don't like what you have to offer.
But please, feel free to double down on it. See how that works out for you next election.
I thought we were all past the Bush years ?
I talk about Obama because he is in office.
Yep i voted for Bush TWICE and would again if i could. SERIOUSLY i would.
Actually i rarely catch Dick Morris only when he is on the major networks or in the on-line stuff.
I never see Beck since he went cable and pay ( sorry i'm poor and can't afford cable or pay net -- even my net is free )
Limbaugh steals from me but i can't afford to sue him nor would i.
I believe in helping everyone i can. But seriously i don't 100% agree with Limbaugh on the way he makes some of his points.
I strongly believe in FREE speech.
Ain't it great !!
You and i have equal rights and opportunity to post even though i'm way better at it.
So if you got anything besides the Bush bash stuff let me know.
And for the record i have even voted for Democrats too.
I really like Jesse White ( met him several times ) i think he's doing a darn good job. Will always vote for him.
So see i do reach across. Republicans always have.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#83 Nov 15, 2012
I drink Cola wrote:
<quoted text>I may be wrong but I believe that it was 17 or 18 times Obama tried getting bills passed by the House and was denied every time. I dont think for one moment that this "fiscal cliff" will happen. Boehner has no choice but to work with Obama because of what happened in the elections, not only did Mitt lose(who was that guy?) but the GOP lost numbers in both the Senate and the House. I think this was quite a wake-up call to the GOP. Im sure that everybody wants fiscal-responsibility but when the GOP would not budge on an increased tax for the people who could afford it the most it left a foul taste for many. Obama will get the tax increase he wants and the GOP will get something they want and everybody will sit around the campfire for awhile and sing kumbaya
The first two years Obama had a 60+ majority.
Obama could and did ( Obamacare ) pass whatever he wanted to pass regardless of what the republicans wanted.
Had Obama tried to work with republicans during those years which he didn't then maybe you would have had a better point.
Boehner ?? I have no idea what he will or won't do. He like many republicans go soft when we need him to stand firm.
I would rather comment on what he does then speculate on what he might do.
Wake up call ? I got that when i saw Obamacare get passed.
First time in American history we are FORCED to buy a product.
That was all the wake up call i needed.
kumbaya - i dont even know the words but i bet you do.
I hope we fight every tax increase and will vote against any that support one.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#84 Nov 15, 2012
Dogon wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to go any farther than about four comments up this thread to see it; just look at how "Mystery Man" characterizes Republican obstructionism as Obama being unwilling to "work with" Republicans - "work with" in this context apparently meaning "capitulate" as opposed to its usual political meaning of "compromise."
But there's no compromising with zealots. If you live in that conservative media dream world, you can get the idea that everyone agrees you're right except for a few evil traitors, and wind up believing you're the solution when you're actually the problem. The fascinating thing in the wake of the election is the refusal of people like Mystery Man to do any self-reevaluation after being handed a reality check of massive proportions. They just got their asses handed to them for being too extreme and doctrinaire, and their response is, "We need to be even MORE extreme and doctrinaire next time!" Yep, I agree. That's exactly what I would like to see them do, because it's nice to watch them lose.
Seriously ? talking about me ?
I didn't know i was running for any election let alone won or lost one.
I'm just a poster like anyone else in here.
But i must be right if it gets so much attention.
As for my voting.
I vote for my principles not for popularity.
Independents and fence sitters vote for popularity.
I vote for what i truly believe in even if its something others like yourself don't believe in.
I would rather vote 100 times in a row for what i believe in then vote once for what is popular.
If you truly believed in your cause you would feel the same and would do the same.
Dogon

Chicago, IL

#85 Nov 15, 2012
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought we were all past the Bush years ?
Well, that's very convenient, allowing you as it does to ignore the hypocrisy of your own voting record. You ignored Bush's security screwups that cost thousands of American lives and voted for him anyway, but four people dead in Benghazi is a reason to throw Obama out of office? I'm not bringing this up to criticize Bush; that's already been done. I'm doing it to criticize YOU.
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
So see i do reach across.
You voted for one Democrat? Well, good for you. This is like saying "I'm not prejudiced, some of my best friends are [minority]."
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans always have.
Always, huh? I realize categorical declarations come with the territory for your crowd, but you should watch out for making blanket statements like that; all I need to do now is find ONE example where they haven't, and I've disproven you. Thanks for the softball. The challenge is not to find that single example; rather, it's to pick just one. Planned Parenthood, perhaps, or voter suppression, or - what were we talking about before?- oh yeah, the debt ceiling, either this time or last. So many choices with this Congress; Obama could say the sun rises in the east, and the House would pass a resolution swearing it rises in the west.
Dogon

Chicago, IL

#86 Nov 15, 2012
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I vote for my principles not for popularity.
If you think your guy lost the election because everyone who voted against him just wanted to be in with the in crowd, you have an even bigger perspective problem than I thought. This attitude was summed up long ago in humorous plaques and desktop note pads: "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts."

But again, I encourage you to stick with your principles. I don't think I've seen you enumerate them completely, but if you voted for Bush twice it's a safe assumption that they are archaic and odious. Please, continue to stick to your principles in this way, and encourage the rest of your party to do the same. Don't change the Republican party at all in deference to what voters want. Believe me, we love you just the way you are.
I drink Cola

Aurora, IL

#87 Nov 15, 2012
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The first two years Obama had a 60+ majority.
Obama could and did ( Obamacare ) pass whatever he wanted to pass regardless of what the republicans wanted.
Had Obama tried to work with republicans during those years which he didn't then maybe you would have had a better point.
Boehner ?? I have no idea what he will or won't do. He like many republicans go soft when we need him to stand firm.
I would rather comment on what he does then speculate on what he might do.
Wake up call ? I got that when i saw Obamacare get passed.
First time in American history we are FORCED to buy a product.
That was all the wake up call i needed.
kumbaya - i dont even know the words but i bet you do.
I hope we fight every tax increase and will vote against any that support one.
Regarding Boehner; he has no choice but to work with Obama, if he doesnt in two years the GOP will be "the party that caused the fiscal cliff". I dont think Boehner is that dumb but I may be wrong. Regarding ObamaCare; if you dont have a employer sponsored health plan or Medicade or Medicare you still dont have to have insurance, you will pay a penalty but you still dont have to have it. If you are poor and cannot afford the insurance there are sliding scale adjustments depending on income to help subsidize the cost of the insurance. I still have no idea why people think this is a bad thing. Regarding taxes what is the problem with keeping the Bush tax-cuts except for people making over $250,000/year???(the people that could afford to pay a little more)The GOP still doesnt get it, they still have no concept about how greedy they sound, if you make over the $250,000 couldnt they afford it to pay a little more?? But no they want to stiff the middle class so they can keep a little more of their money.
I drink Cola

Aurora, IL

#88 Nov 15, 2012
Dogon wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd think so, but don't forget the Reds have driven us over the cliff before. Remember when they basically forgot about governing for about a year so they could concentrate on catching Clinton getting a hummer? Or more recently when the international markets downgraded US bonds because the Republicans were stonewalling on the very same issue looming now? It's that alternate-reality bubble thing again. In their minds, if they refuse to hammer out a deal, they're being "principled," and they expect the public will praise and reward them for it and blame Obama. You don't have to go any farther than about four comments up this thread to see it; just look at how "Mystery Man" characterizes Republican obstructionism as Obama being unwilling to "work with" Republicans - "work with" in this context apparently meaning "capitulate" as opposed to its usual political meaning of "compromise."
But there's no compromising with zealots. If you live in that conservative media dream world, you can get the idea that everyone agrees you're right except for a few evil traitors, and wind up believing you're the solution when you're actually the problem. The fascinating thing in the wake of the election is the refusal of people like Mystery Man to do any self-reevaluation after being handed a reality check of massive proportions. They just got their asses handed to them for being too extreme and doctrinaire, and their response is, "We need to be even MORE extreme and doctrinaire next time!" Yep, I agree. That's exactly what I would like to see them do, because it's nice to watch them lose.
I agree with you. Right now the GOP are stomping their feet and acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. When it was all said and done, the election was really not that close....and they cant handle that, thats why they are grasping at straws for anything they can find to discredit Obama for anything and everything. They keep throwing darts and keep hitting everything but the board.
Dogon

Chicago, IL

#89 Nov 16, 2012
Mystery Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Wake up call ? I got that when i saw Obamacare get passed.
First time in American history we are FORCED to buy a product.
Oh, please. Everything your tax dollars buy is a product you're "forced" to pay for. Your objection sums up to having to buy it FOR YOURSELF; if that's the problem, then let's just move to single-payer healthcare and you won't have to be upset at the horrible onerous burden of being held responsible for your own insurance.
Mystery Man

Naperville, IL

#90 Nov 18, 2012
Dogon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, please. Everything your tax dollars buy is a product you're "forced" to pay for. Your objection sums up to having to buy it FOR YOURSELF; if that's the problem, then let's just move to single-payer healthcare and you won't have to be upset at the horrible onerous burden of being held responsible for your own insurance.
Except that there is no single payer op-out option.
You're still FORCE to buy it.
Tax paid items are not even in the same league as Obamacare.
Get real.
Mystery Man

Naperville, IL

#91 Nov 18, 2012
Dogon wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think your guy lost the election because everyone who voted against him just wanted to be in with the in crowd, you have an even bigger perspective problem than I thought. This attitude was summed up long ago in humorous plaques and desktop note pads: "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts."
But again, I encourage you to stick with your principles. I don't think I've seen you enumerate them completely, but if you voted for Bush twice it's a safe assumption that they are archaic and odious. Please, continue to stick to your principles in this way, and encourage the rest of your party to do the same. Don't change the Republican party at all in deference to what voters want. Believe me, we love you just the way you are.
Well i would make some changers in the republican party if i could.
I would throw out all the RINO's if i could.
I would push for a more tea party style party.
You have it backwards.( typical of democrats )
It is because of the facts my mind is made up.

Somehow you seem to act as if having principles is something bad.

I would rather be criticized for those principles i believe in then to not have any principles to believe in.
Those who waited until the last minute to decide who to vote for have no principles at all. They vote only on the side they believe will win.
That is why there was so many of them when it seemed by the news media and the polls to be a close election.

Anyway bottom line is i'm very confident in who i am.
BTW Jesse White isn't the only democrat i ever voted for or ever will vote for.
But he is the best of the democrats. IMHO.
Obama no American Dream

United States

#92 Nov 22, 2012
Sick about the election.
Mystery Man

Fox Lake, IL

#93 Nov 23, 2012
Obama no American Dream wrote:
Sick about the election.
I got good news for you the election is over.
Now for the bad news Obama won.
GreggSTvchoakwoo dknolls

United States

#94 Nov 24, 2012
Ive been gettong loadrd almost every night sonce obama wom again. I still cant believe it and it just dont seem fair.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#95 Nov 24, 2012
GreggSTvchoakwoodknolls wrote:
Ive been gettong loadrd almost every night sonce obama wom again. I still cant believe it and it just dont seem fair.
Just wait until you need to see a doctor for an operation and find out the government and not you makes the decisions.
You better not be a senior citizen if so you'll just get a pain pill.
And that's according to Obama.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Chicagoan charged in Gurnee shooting (Feb '12) 14 min Ddk 8
Spa owner charged with prostitution (Nov '08) Fri papa123 8
Review: Antioch Model Trains & Hobby (Oct '08) Dec 24 Unlucky Trains 17
find out if you have a warrant from lake county Dec 23 Jay 2
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? Dec 23 Meh 18
Historic building destroyed Dec 23 Antiocher 3
near libertyville semi truck accident??? Dec 22 Bponch1234 1
Lake Villa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lake Villa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lake Villa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lake Villa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:09 am PST

Bleacher Report 9:09AM
Expect Packers to Continue Lambeau Dominance vs. Lions
NBC Sports11:06 AM
Mike McCarthy: No concerns about Aaron Rodgers
NBC Sports11:28 AM
Bears extend Roberto Garza through 2015
NBC Sports12:05 PM
Packers' Rodgers listed as probable for Lions game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 7:32 AM
Full-blown Bears house-cleaning could be coming