'Moment' in schools banned for now -- Crime, Law and Justice, J...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

The morning routine at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire will be 10 seconds shorter Friday after a federal judge banned the moment of silence mandated in public schools in Illinois.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Terri

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Just when you thought all this silliness was based on the presidential race, in comes a slider ... Can't people just give these things a rest. Come on folks a moment of silence is not asking you to pray ... I remember in school when we had our "moment" I sort of reflected on whether or not I actually did bring all my homework back ... what ploys people like instituting. Believe me, school can be hectic and a moment of silence was beneficial. I just don't know ... I was always taught to pick my battles carefully and this one just seems so immaterial nonsense. If you don't want to be included -- then just be quiet a minute so everyone else can reflect. Geez ... what's the deal!!!!
Donald Ross

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Ban guns and knives. Everyone needs a moment of silence
Bob TG

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Donald Ross wrote:
?? Sorry, what is your point. Let's also ban rope, candle sticks, pipe wrenches, and plumbing pipe. Lawmakers need a CLUE!
2bit

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Donald Ross wrote:
Yeah but legalize pot right?
Bob TG

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

2bit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but legalize pot right?
What are you talking about?
Dana

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

I wonder what the students who have to participate in the "moment" think... I know if this was instituted when I was in high school,(1) I'd be annoyed that some time -- any time -- was taken away from learning (yes, I was one of those kids...), and (2) I'd feel exactly like the the girl in the article feels -- the government shouldn't be telling us when and where to think. The whole ten seconds, I'd sit there in resentment. I'm sure, though, a lot of students just see it as less time to listen to the teacher.
Pierre JC

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

"That's a travesty, in my opinion, for a judge to make a statewide decision based on one student filing in his courtroom, when this would affect millions of students statewide," Lightford said.
No doubt Ms. Lightford is equally upset that bans on interracial marriage were declared illegal by the Supreme Court in 1967 based on on one interracial couple filing in that courtroom, affecting millions of Americans nationwide. She must instead believe that the Loving v. Virginia ruling was a travesty, and that states should have the right to ban interracial marriage.
Unless, of course, she's a hypocrite.
People, keep your idiotic fantasies about your magical, invisible friend out of the government's activities. Why is that so hard to understand?
Tom

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Haven't well-meaning believers sought to have their particular faith become a part everyone else's lives?

When prayer in school was revoked, then the moment of silence mandate was created, it seems, as a fall-back position to begin their struggle once again.

Perhaps we could create a promised land for the true believers of every sect.
2bit

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

Bob TG wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about?
Sarcastic reply to Don R's post
Greg

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

I am a Christian and I understand the 'moment of silence'. But making people be quiet for 10 seconds for, in their minds, no reason at all is absolutely ridiculous. They will not rebell because it is just 10 seconds.
Just a suggesstion... There is plenty of opportunities to pray or 'reflect'. I'm not sure about other religions, though. Do it at home, before you get on/off the bus, in the parking lot (risky). Though some students need prayer (LOL), most high school students will say to those who do pray 'Yo man, just do you, unless you clog up the hallway while I'm tryna get to class'.
Greg

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

Dana wrote:
I wonder what the students who have to participate in the "moment" think... I know if this was instituted when I was in high school,(1) I'd be annoyed that some time -- any time -- was taken away from learning (yes, I was one of those kids...), and (2) I'd feel exactly like the the girl in the article feels -- the government shouldn't be telling us when and where to think. The whole ten seconds, I'd sit there in resentment. I'm sure, though, a lot of students just see it as less time to listen to the teacher.
I'm with you on that...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Lake County was issued at April 17 at 2:55PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lake Villa Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lake Villa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE