Anyone know what's happening with Clu...

Anyone know what's happening with Club Energy

Posted in the Lake Villa Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
REally

United States

#1 Jul 2, 2012
It seems like the place was only open a couple months. Last time was around New Years Eve I think. I heard that one of the owner's died but just wondered if the place was ever gonna open again.
Rich

Winfield, IL

#2 Jul 2, 2012
I heard the owner was promised a liquor license by the village of Antioch and after dumping over a million dollars into the property he was denied what he was promised. What happened next is a total tragedy if what I heard is true. Red tape and lies are for sale in lake county.
Confused

United States

#3 Jul 2, 2012
Rich wrote:
I heard the owner was promised a liquor license by the village of Antioch and after dumping over a million dollars into the property he was denied what he was promised. What happened next is a total tragedy if what I heard is true. Red tape and lies are for sale in lake county.
Thats interesting but I am confused. Wasn't it a teen only club? Why would he need or have been promised a liquor license? Whatever the case, it is a sad story. I had hoped this would be a great spot for the area kids. Hopefully, someone can or will purchase the space.
Sad but glad

Round Lake, IL

#4 Jul 2, 2012
Rich wrote:
I heard the owner was promised a liquor license by the village of Antioch and after dumping over a million dollars into the property he was denied what he was promised. What happened next is a total tragedy if what I heard is true. Red tape and lies are for sale in lake county.
What you heard and what I heard happened are two different things.

It was a TEEN CLUB. Teen clubs don't get liquor lisences. There was huge neighborhood opposition to just about everything that went on there, but the biggest issue was booze. I heard the owners wanted it, the Village was concerned about contolling underaged liquor sales and that the club might fail even with a liquor license. The Village tried to find a solution, like a temproary license for special events, but state law would not allow that. Had a full license been granted and the club closed, the explanation given to me was that the liquor license would have stayed with the building. A bar forever, and in my humble opnion, Antioch has plenty of bars now.

I am very sorry for the owner if that is what happened, but I do not think the Village did the wrong thing for all of the reasons noted above.
Confused

United States

#5 Jul 2, 2012
Sad but glad wrote:
<quoted text>
What you heard and what I heard happened are two different things.
It was a TEEN CLUB. Teen clubs don't get liquor lisences. There was huge neighborhood opposition to just about everything that went on there, but the biggest issue was booze. I heard the owners wanted it, the Village was concerned about contolling underaged liquor sales and that the club might fail even with a liquor license. The Village tried to find a solution, like a temproary license for special events, but state law would not allow that. Had a full license been granted and the club closed, the explanation given to me was that the liquor license would have stayed with the building. A bar forever, and in my humble opnion, Antioch has plenty of bars now.
I am very sorry for the owner if that is what happened, but I do not think the Village did the wrong thing for all of the reasons noted above.
Thanks, that makes sense. Still hope someone can make a go of it there. And I would agree, no need for a liquor license, we have enough bars in this town.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#6 Jul 3, 2012
Even my kids say, that building is cursed. Since the old health club, everything that's gone in there has failed.

I feel very sorry for the gentleman who tried to make a go of the teen club. I also heard he sank a lot of money into it. It's a tough situation, kids want a place to go and hang/have fun, but many don't have a lot of money to spend. Hard to cover the overhead on pop and chips.
mim

Fox Lake, IL

#7 Jul 4, 2012
News Reader 2011 wrote:
Even my kids say, that building is cursed. Since the old health club, everything that's gone in there has failed.
I feel very sorry for the gentleman who tried to make a go of the teen club. I also heard he sank a lot of money into it. It's a tough situation, kids want a place to go and hang/have fun, but many don't have a lot of money to spend. Hard to cover the overhead on pop and chips.
Did anyone even TRY to do anything to it after the gym??
fram

Fox Lake, IL

#8 Jul 4, 2012
Rich wrote:
I heard the owner was promised a liquor license by the village of Antioch and after dumping over a million dollars into the property he was denied what he was promised. What happened next is a total tragedy if what I heard is true. Red tape and lies are for sale in lake county.
Why would the owner need a liquor license if it was a TEEN club? Also, I highly doubt all of that gray paint would cost anywhere near a million dollars.
Next Choice Please

Arlington Heights, IL

#9 Jul 5, 2012
I personaly have a hard time trusting men who feel inclined to open teen clubs. Go to You Tube and take a look at what they encourage in those clubs. The teens want a place to gather and socialize which is totaly understandable but it is not uncommon for predators to open the clubs hoping to get close to underage teens. I'm not saying that was the case in Antioch, but it happens all too often. If they did try to add a liquor license to a teen club that would be just plain sleezy. The clubs usually don't last long since the revenue they can generate is limited. What ever happened to the pool halls and game rooms we knew when we were teens? I guess technology wiped those out. But at least those places didn't go out of their way to get your daughters to wear next to nothing for the entertainment of middle aged men. Use caution letting your kids go to these types of clubs. Do some research and find out who you are dealing with and how they run the club.
A Nonni Mouse

United States

#10 Jul 5, 2012
Next Choice Please wrote:
I personaly have a hard time trusting men who feel inclined to open teen clubs. Go to You Tube and take a look at what they encourage in those clubs. The teens want a place to gather and socialize which is totaly understandable but it is not uncommon for predators to open the clubs hoping to get close to underage teens. I'm not saying that was the case in Antioch, but it happens all too often. If they did try to add a liquor license to a teen club that would be just plain sleezy. The clubs usually don't last long since the revenue they can generate is limited. What ever happened to the pool halls and game rooms we knew when we were teens? I guess technology wiped those out. But at least those places didn't go out of their way to get your daughters to wear next to nothing for the entertainment of middle aged men. Use caution letting your kids go to these types of clubs. Do some research and find out who you are dealing with and how they run the club.
Wow, you've left me speechless, which is pretty hard to do.
Next Choice Please

Arlington Heights, IL

#11 Jul 6, 2012
A Nonni Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you've left me speechless, which is pretty hard to do.
Again, I am not saying that Antioch did anything wrong, they may have had only the best intentions. However there are clubs that are opened for all the wrong reasons so be aware of who your children are visiting! Or you can watch your kids later on You Tube and find out that way.
Craig

Lawrence, MA

#12 Mar 4, 2013
He commited suicide, read here...

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/10661746-418...
WOW

Chicago, IL

#13 Mar 18, 2013
Craig wrote:
He commited suicide, read here...
http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/10661746-418...
Mind your own business, fool.
Andrew Herbst

United States

#14 Mar 13, 2014
Why would he need a liq license and that place was fun as hell I met my girlfriend there 2 years ago and we are still dating and going to school together that place ment so much to me!
Andrew Herbst

United States

#15 Mar 13, 2014
Do any of you know if their going to make it into a club again?

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#16 Mar 14, 2014
fram wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the owner need a liquor license if it was a TEEN club? Also, I highly doubt all of that gray paint would cost anywhere near a million dollars.
It probably cost close to a million to get the smell of sweaty feet out of there, after all those years as a gym. It does look like someone is trying to clean it up again.
This I Know

Antioch, IL

#17 Mar 14, 2014
It is being turned into a church. Really. A church. Still a good place for you and your girlfriend to go.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#18 Mar 17, 2014
This I Know wrote:
It is being turned into a church. Really. A church. Still a good place for you and your girlfriend to go.
Two bad things about that - 1) property goes off the tax rolls. 2) there is not nearly enough parking for a church, which will suck for the homeowners on the surrounding streets.

I'm not sure if that's really better.
How bad can it be

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 17, 2014
Church is twice a week, right? Surely parking shouldn't be a problem. No noise pollution or hang outs at night, it could be worse.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#20 Mar 18, 2014
How bad can it be wrote:
Church is twice a week, right? Surely parking shouldn't be a problem. No noise pollution or hang outs at night, it could be worse.
That depends on the church. Many have activities multiple nights of the week. I agree, it's a better use of the building, but I could see it being an issue for the homeowners too, if overflow parking jams the streets, which are pretty narrow there. Hopefully it's something that will be taken into consideration when zoning, and then everyone will be happy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shutdown Grimm road! (Jul '15) 12 hr Mr Earl 21
News Gliniewicz aftermath, one year later 12 hr Mr Earl 3
News Visitation, funeral arrangements set for Lt Gli... (Sep '15) 12 hr Mr Earl 3
Joseph Gliniewicz (Sep '15) 13 hr Human 115
News Constable: Police raid leaves Antioch woman hom... 13 hr Human 2
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? (Aug '14) 18 hr put in a panera 27
the "walking biker" of route 132 18 hr marieclaire2637 6

Lake Villa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Villa Mortgages