Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Nov 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WOW

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 18, 2010
Received an email from Candi Rowe this morning, informing that the leaf pickup program will begin November 1st rather than October 18th, as previously published. Does anyone else find this as ridiculous as I do?
VyvB

United States

#2 Oct 18, 2010
Delaying the program 2 weeks (probably) to save money? Doesn't sound ridiculous to me.
WOW

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 18, 2010
Really? So, unlike the many of the folks in my neighborhood, you didn't plan ahead to have your leaves raked to the curb for pickup today, as was promised? The streets by me are lined with leaves. Now we all get to go out and pick them up and bag them anyway. Which I won't be home to do tonight. Glad I spent all that time moving them from the backyard to the curb, instead of just bagging them in the backyard, which would have been easier.

Maybe you have time for double work, but I don't. If I leave them there, they will either a) blow all over the place again, b) clog the drains if there is a heavy rain, possible flooding my neighbors, or c) kill my grass.

So yeah. Ridiculous. If they wanted to change the dates, perhaps doing so earlier than the day of the first scheduled pickup would have been wise.
fka antioch resident

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 18, 2010
Well, I took advantage of it too. Instead of complaining here though, I emailed the village. They were apologetic, apparently the date was changed last week. They say they have notified the Suntimes twice, I haven't seen anything published online though.

I do agree it's annoying. If anyone else is complaining/emailing, I bet they (the village) is wishing they'd have left well enough alone right now!
VyvB

United States

#5 Oct 18, 2010
I hadn't heard about the service until today in a message from Waste Management. Annoying if I had done the work already? Yes. Ridiculous? Kind of getting a bit dramatic over leaves.
No good deed goes

Round Lake, IL

#7 Oct 18, 2010
No good deed goes unpunished. The Village negotiated leaf pick up into the latest contract, and of course, it is now screwed up. I do give them credit for trying, however. As noted from the gent in Fox Lake, at least we have leaf pick up now thanks to Mayor Hanson and the Village Board. Maybe by next year they will get the leaves picked up earlier or at least get us notice earlier.
Antioch Resident

Round Lake, IL

#8 Oct 18, 2010
The Village of Antioch could've changed this date due to the road construction. I heard Woods of Antioch roads will have final surfacing done tomorrow.

I didn't even know they had leaf pickups in Antioch. Who does this? Public Works?
Captain Clean

Round Lake, IL

#9 Oct 18, 2010
Rake?, Burn?, what's the point? I haven't done either in over 5 years. I just mulch them with the mower.(I have a mulch plate for the discharge, but have made them for mowers without from an old license plate) It's much easier to mow them 2 or three times (if necessary) than to rake or burn at all. I keep a wooded lot of 3/4 acre clean this way. Try it, it works. It really takes less time and energy. The small amount of leftovers biodegrades over the winter and is never seen again.
VyvB

United States

#11 Oct 19, 2010
[QUOTE who="Mystery Man]Fox Lake is really cracking down on homeowners.
In a bad way.[/QUOTE]

Did you guys make the mistake of voting Dorothy Larson your mayor? No? Maybe Bender's her nephew.
Captain Clean

Grayslake, IL

#12 Oct 19, 2010
It's not illegal to mow your leaves to dust (mulch), that's not debris. Debris is garbage. Ask a cop.
LEAF PICK UP DRAMA

Round Lake, IL

#13 Oct 19, 2010
Pile 'em up. Bag 'em up. Grind 'em up. It's your choice!! They are LEAVES, little dry flaky blowy away things. They are not garbage. They will not attack you. You can mulch 'em or toss 'em. Police, secret service, Army, or USMC assistance not required.

They are not political, have no affiliation with any party, and have no opinion on the recent change of the leadership at the APD. Larry did make them fall. Nor did Dorothy. They are LEAVES.

Waaaay too much verbiage and drama on this post on our little shady type friends who have gone to arbor heaven.
fka antioch resident

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 20, 2010
LEAF PICK UP DRAMA wrote:
Pile 'em up. Bag 'em up. Grind 'em up. It's your choice!! They are LEAVES, little dry flaky blowy away things. They are not garbage. They will not attack you. You can mulch 'em or toss 'em. Police, secret service, Army, or USMC assistance not required.
They are not political, have no affiliation with any party, and have no opinion on the recent change of the leadership at the APD. Larry did make them fall. Nor did Dorothy. They are LEAVES.
Waaaay too much verbiage and drama on this post on our little shady type friends who have gone to arbor heaven.
Where do you see drama? Outside of Viv B's snide Larson comment, this was actually a relatively civil discussion, something I'd expect to see on a message board.

Are you disappointed by that? Feeling the need to create drama where there is none?
LEAF PICK UP DRAMA

Round Lake, IL

#15 Oct 20, 2010
See posts 1, 3, and 12, plus the total of 13 posts other than my earlier post and this one. A whole lot of blah blah about leaves. Actually, it is kind of funny in my opinion.
Captain Clean

Grayslake, IL

#16 Oct 20, 2010
Post #12 looks like a response to me, not drama. I thought this was a discussion about getting rid of unwanted leaves (that evolved out of question about village leaf pickup), and I offered up my time proven solution. Mystery Man thought leaf mulch was considered yard debris, and I was informing him that it was not, that's all. Remember, when you people are spending all day burning and/or raking, I'll be doing something more relaxing as I will have finished my yard chores hours earlier. (try mulching, it works)
LEAF PICK UP DRAMA

Round Lake, IL

#17 Oct 20, 2010
Captain Clean wrote:
Post #12 looks like a response to me, not drama. I thought this was a discussion about getting rid of unwanted leaves (that evolved out of question about village leaf pickup), and I offered up my time proven solution. Mystery Man thought leaf mulch was considered yard debris, and I was informing him that it was not, that's all. Remember, when you people are spending all day burning and/or raking, I'll be doing something more relaxing as I will have finished my yard chores hours earlier.(try mulching, it works)
I stand corrected. There is no drama here. It is actually comedy.

Thanks for setting me straight.
fka antioch resident

Chicago, IL

#18 Oct 20, 2010
Seems to me this was a casual conversation. Opinions were given, information was exchanged, viewpoints were discussed without any outlandish, slanderous or insulting comments being made... again, with the exception of one post. I thought that's what message boards were for. Sorry to disappoint you, Drama.

Perhaps it's comedy to you, but I'd then assume that you either have a lawn service, have no trees, or live in a condo or townhome.

So, what would you have people talk about here? You must have come here for a reason. Or are you some sort of discussion board monitor/vigilante?
LEAF PICK UP DRAMA

Round Lake, IL

#19 Oct 21, 2010
fka antioch resident wrote:
Seems to me this was a casual conversation. Opinions were given, information was exchanged, viewpoints were discussed without any outlandish, slanderous or insulting comments being made... again, with the exception of one post. I thought that's what message boards were for. Sorry to disappoint you, Drama.
Perhaps it's comedy to you, but I'd then assume that you either have a lawn service, have no trees, or live in a condo or townhome.
So, what would you have people talk about here? You must have come here for a reason. Or are you some sort of discussion board monitor/vigilante?
I laughed till I cried with your post. Thank you for starting my day off with a smile. You are a hoot! Cannot wait for a thread to be started about street sweeping. It will be hysterical within about 4 posts. You folks in Antioch sure have a sense of humor!!
Simply bring to the curb

Round Lake, IL

#20 Oct 21, 2010
WOW..........
I wish I only had to bring my leafs to the curb.
Try putting them in these dam paper bags.
Buy the bag
Buy a stick to go on the back for $2.00 each
Think you have it bad..........meh
DigginLifeHere

Round Lake, IL

#21 Nov 1, 2013
Just luv this topic. My obsessive counterpart that works 10 hrs avg a day, comes home and constantly fires up the leaf blower. I must admit it took two years for me to get used to the noise and want to duck my neighbors (unfounded) disapproval to see it is necessary. He is in tune when he no longer has to hire the neighbor kids to bag, and gets excited at blowing away to the curb. When the decaying leaves are not picked up on time he is exasperated on how they are KILLING his nurtured young lawn. Just a quick insight from a person that lived on 5acres and there was NO leaf pick up of any kind. We composted.
Jorge

Chicago, IL

#22 Nov 2, 2013
The wife and I grind up our maple leaves and put them into freezer bags.
We then eat them throughout the winter.
Some milk and a little honey and its not too bad actually.
We've also tried to roll up and smoke them too but only received headaches from doing so.
No other effects were noted from doing so.
Jorge

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 33 min Jonah1 49,509
Bullying at Antioch Middle School needs to be s... 1 hr NO Bullying alloweed 1
Corrupt Round Lake Beach ! 5 hr R U Kidding me 36
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 5 hr only one voter 1,909
Projects would boost Lake County forest preserv... (Feb '13) Sun Leaving illinois 15
For Fun Aug 30 fun times 1
Uniting As A Community To Support Our Youth Aug 30 RLAYC 5
•••
•••
•••

Lake Villa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lake Villa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE