Batavia teacher in 5th Amendment deba...

Batavia teacher in 5th Amendment debate ordered to curb remarks

Posted in the Lake Villa Forum

What to Think

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 11, 2013
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#2 Jun 11, 2013
Interesting article.
Why haven't you comment on it ?
Svengali

Lake Villa, IL

#3 Jun 12, 2013
Based only on the story as written, I would have to agree with this teacher regarding his position on the district survey. One should never admit to anything illegal in writing, regardless of the intent of the use of that information. In this day and age information never disappears and people will use information any way they see fit, regardless of who gets hurt. This school board may not have bad intent, but what happens to that information when the next board gets elected? This is setting a dangerous precedence, in my opinion.
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

#4 Jun 12, 2013
Excellent point.
That is why i won't have a facebook, MySpace, tweeter, etc accounts.
The less out there the better.
Every time sommething bad happens Facebook is the first place everyone goes as if that is an honest source of information.
Even in here i'm amazed by how posters want to deluge private information about me or other posters without their permission.
Luckily they are always wrong because say what they want it to be not what it really is.
But getting back to it heaven is paved with good intentions.
Just because one set of people have good intentions others do not.
I want to follow this story and see how it winds up in the end.
Thanks for the post.
What to Think

Chicago, IL

#5 Jun 12, 2013
How would you know that I have or have not?

Why are you directing YOUR comments to me?

Are you stalking me?
Mystery Man wrote:
Interesting article.
Why haven't you comment on it ?

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#6 Jun 12, 2013
Svengali wrote:
Based only on the story as written, I would have to agree with this teacher regarding his position on the district survey. One should never admit to anything illegal in writing, regardless of the intent of the use of that information. In this day and age information never disappears and people will use information any way they see fit, regardless of who gets hurt. This school board may not have bad intent, but what happens to that information when the next board gets elected? This is setting a dangerous precedence, in my opinion.
I agree with you Svengali. And, if all he did was remind the students that the 5th amendment prohibits them from incriminating themselves, where did he go wrong?

If the school counselors and administrators were paying attention, they'd likely be able to identify kids with issues without resorting to a survey.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#7 Jun 13, 2013
Svengali wrote:
Agree. Someone definitely dropped the ball on sanctioning this test. The teacher did the right thing for his students. There are many different ways to find troubled students. This was not one of them. I applaud this teacher.
Svengali

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 13, 2013
What to Think wrote:
How would you know that I have or have not?
Why are you directing YOUR comments to me?
Are you stalking me?

<quoted text>
What?

Back on topic. Part of a teachers job is to protect children. Did the school board obtain parental permission before asking for personal information from a minor? I'd bet not!
duh

Antioch, IL

#9 Jun 13, 2013
Svengali wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Back on topic. Part of a teachers job is to protect children. Did the school board obtain parental permission before asking for personal information from a minor? I'd bet not!
Exactly. One more reason I am considering home schooling for my kids. I am getting more and more concerned with the craziness going on in our schools these days.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#10 Jun 14, 2013
Svengali wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of a teachers job is to protect children. Did the school board obtain parental permission before asking for personal information from a minor? I'd bet not!
BINGO! If this was my kid, I'd be thanking this teacher for reminding his students that they do have the right to privacy.
What to Think

Chicago, IL

#11 Jun 17, 2013
I would hope that ANY Teacher would also advise to Students not to be doing such things in their personal lives, as they need to focus on securing an education that will enhance and provide a means to support and nourish their own life and future family.

Life is a journey and it is best enjoyed with a strong, health mind that does not need Chemical Recreational Stimulation to fulfill a purposeful existence.
Svengali

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 17, 2013
What to Think wrote:
I would hope that ANY Teacher would also advise to Students not to be doing such things in their personal lives, as they need to focus on securing an education that will enhance and provide a means to support and nourish their own life and future family.
Life is a journey and it is best enjoyed with a strong, health mind that does not need Chemical Recreational Stimulation to fulfill a purposeful existence.
Good points, and I agree with all of them, but why the sudden left turn with the only slightly disguised anti-drug/alchol reference? You ended a positive upbeat meaninful comment with 'don't do drugs'.

I'm not sure how that relates to students rights on self incrimination other than that was the questions the schoolboard was asking.

Students shouldn't do drugs/alchol, but if they did, that shouldn't necessarily end up in public record documents if they were not subject to police action.
What to Think

Melrose Park, IL

#13 Jun 18, 2013
Svengali wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points, and I agree with all of them, but why the sudden left turn with the only slightly disguised anti-drug/alchol reference? You ended a positive upbeat meaninful comment with 'don't do drugs'.
I'm not sure how that relates to students rights on self incrimination other than that was the questions the schoolboard was asking.
Students shouldn't do drugs/alchol, but if they did, that shouldn't necessarily end up in public record documents if they were not subject to police action.
I do appreciate your feedback.

What would you tell your children?

Tell them the Truth!

Focus on a Strong Healthy Mind and a Desire for Learning, Understanding and Communicating - then, the entire world will open for them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Macek Rumours! (Mar '15) Fri Issac Newton Fan 27
Poll Red light cameras at Rt. 12 & Rt. 134- Safety o... (Jan '11) Jun 19 JustPassingThrough 22
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? (Aug '14) Jun 13 Nils Trillingham III 24
Martin Valadez (May '09) Jun 9 Cateleya 208
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Jun 2 raisal 159
News Lakemoor officials ask residents to lobby Wauco... Jun 2 Haha wauconda 7
Antioch Small Engine Repair is a scam (Jul '11) May 31 el TORO 116
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Villa Mortgages