Updated 10/16: Lake Villa cook ready ...

Updated 10/16: Lake Villa cook ready to 'rock like Bobby Flay'

There are 9 comments on the Gurnee Review story from Oct 16, 2008, titled Updated 10/16: Lake Villa cook ready to 'rock like Bobby Flay'. In it, Gurnee Review reports that:

Updated 10/16: Lake Villa cook ready to 'rock like Bobby Flay' Comments October 16, 2008 By ANGELA D. SYKORA [email protected] Scott Kac, owner of Scott Dogs in Lake Villa, believes his barbecue recipes ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gurnee Review.

ttbird

Fox Lake, IL

#1 Oct 18, 2008
scott doggs has a good hot dog but i"ve tried what they call bbq and it is not bbq it is badly cooked meat smothered in an equally bad sauce. bbq is a cooking method not sauce. sauce is used to cover bad cooking. while most people consider cooking a chicken or ribs on their webber and then drowning it in a sauce bbqing its not. the bbq is a tradition that goes back to before the white invasion of n. america and takes years to learn. a pit master your not leave the bbq to the professionals and stick to what you know hot dogs.
tired of lies

Lake Villa, IL

#2 Oct 19, 2008
You want good bbq go to Hillery's in North Chicago. Now that's good food.

Another good place for bbq is Smoky T's in Long Grove. The owner is the head chef at Ontwensia Country Club and comes from West Virginia, where they know how to make good bbq.
ttbird

Fox Lake, IL

#3 Oct 20, 2008
tired of lies wrote:
You want good bbq go to Hillery's in North Chicago. Now that's good food.
Another good place for bbq is Smoky T's in Long Grove. The owner is the head chef at Ontwensia Country Club and comes from West Virginia, where they know how to make good bbq.
got to disagree with you about hillerys but i have heard good things about smokey t's and although w viginia is not part of the bbq belt it is one of the places where bbqing has been being cooked since the begining of whites using the method. 84th street bbq on the south side is the only place where i've seen bbq being cooked the traditional way that is besides my own pit in the back yard. long and slow 24 to 26 hrs at 220 degrees in a cooker where the fire is seperate so only the smoke cooks the meat. if you want to try real bbq try memphis in may but be fowarned you will never be satisfied with the garbage most serve here
senior

AOL

#4 Oct 20, 2008
Hey they Hillarys in Hainesville dod not last long, and I think there has been two in there since - that building needs a face lift - looks bad down there - OH maybe we forgot about that empty building - that is a good place for food and drinks along that strip there, or maybe rent it out for more storage
Laura

Lake Villa, IL

#5 Dec 13, 2008
I so disagree with you on Scott Dogs BBQ. He smokes his ribs, and pork among other things daily - does it all the old fashioned way. The meat is perfectly cooked. His BBQ Sauce is just a bonus although its great as well. Maybe you should do another taste test and make sure you are talking about the right place people line up for his ribs and BBQ and he sells his own sauce - that has to back up something.
Laura

Lake Villa, IL

#6 Dec 13, 2008
ttbird wrote:
scott doggs has a good hot dog but i"ve tried what they call bbq and it is not bbq it is badly cooked meat smothered in an equally bad sauce. bbq is a cooking method not sauce. sauce is used to cover bad cooking. while most people consider cooking a chicken or ribs on their webber and then drowning it in a sauce bbqing its not. the bbq is a tradition that goes back to before the white invasion of n. america and takes years to learn. a pit master your not leave the bbq to the professionals and stick to what you know hot dogs.
It seems you know that BBQ is an art and takes a long time to master and has been around for a long time.... since you know all that -how is it that you dont know that Scott Dogs smokes his ribs and pork all day everyday after putting on a great rub and serving it up to perfection. Are you sure you are talking about the right place?? Before posting such garbage you should make sure you know what you are talking about.
nogoodfoodhere

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Dec 13, 2008
Scott Dogs is greasy, over cooked, over battered food. The special fries the lady at the register raved about when I ordered have got to be the worst fries I have ever had, pure grease. 350 degree or more. The BBQ; ha! I don't care how long he smokes it, either the meat is just low quality or he ruins it. I moved up here last year and after going to every local restaurants, I am starting to figure out that people in the Lake Villa have a strange definition of good food, but looking at the lousy restaurants in the area, I guess that have nothing to judge from. I drive out to Richmond to a little Italian place that opened up a year or so ago to get good food. I am going to guess the "Laura" above either works at Scott Dog's or know the owners; a bit of advice to them: they have really good fish/shrimp combo on Friday's but PLEASE use less batter. That is jumbo shrimp, not popcorn shrimp, just grill it with a little butter. That batter is disgusting!
Paco Taco

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 17, 2008
nogoodfoodhere wrote:
Scott Dogs is greasy, over cooked, over battered food. The special fries the lady at the register raved about when I ordered have got to be the worst fries I have ever had, pure grease. 350 degree or more. The BBQ; ha! I don't care how long he smokes it, either the meat is just low quality or he ruins it. I moved up here last year and after going to every local restaurants, I am starting to figure out that people in the Lake Villa have a strange definition of good food, but looking at the lousy restaurants in the area, I guess that have nothing to judge from. I drive out to Richmond to a little Italian place that opened up a year or so ago to get good food. I am going to guess the "Laura" above either works at Scott Dog's or know the owners; a bit of advice to them: they have really good fish/shrimp combo on Friday's but PLEASE use less batter. That is jumbo shrimp, not popcorn shrimp, just grill it with a little butter. That batter is disgusting!
And I'm guessing you're a competitor!
Laura

Lake Villa, IL

#9 Dec 17, 2008
Paco Taco wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm guessing you're a competitor!
Thanks Paco for saying that - you took the words right out of my mouth. Ya know people can take good comments with the bad but the above 2 people are defiantly not food critics - speaking of food critics here is Scott Dogs on ABC 7 news with the food critic "The Hungry Hound" Now here is someone who knows what they are talking about!
You can also visit www.scottdogs.com and check out more comments and reviews from other sources.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Macek Rumours! (Mar '15) 15 hr Issac Newton Fan 27
Poll Red light cameras at Rt. 12 & Rt. 134- Safety o... (Jan '11) Jun 19 JustPassingThrough 22
Costco in Antioch? Also, maybe a Starbucks? (Aug '14) Jun 13 Nils Trillingham III 24
Martin Valadez (May '09) Jun 9 Cateleya 208
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) Jun 2 raisal 159
News Lakemoor officials ask residents to lobby Wauco... Jun 2 Haha wauconda 7
Antioch Small Engine Repair is a scam (Jul '11) May 31 el TORO 116
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Villa Mortgages