What happened to the Advertiser in Antioch?

Posted in the Lake Villa Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 37 of37
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 12

Round Lake Beach IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Tried the online version several times. It never seemed really "complete", as if they were still working on it. I did like that it allowed me to view items by Category, instead of having everything in what appeared to be a random jumble in the print version; made it quicker to see if anyone was offering what I was looking for.
Pam Robinson

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

trc wrote:
My husband worked for this company for years. His last delivery for them was August 2012. As of today they still have not paid him. This company didn't even have enough care in the world to let workers know that they closed their door. As of today my husband still has not received his last paycheck. No call, letter, nothing. Any one have any ideas on how the previous employees can get their last paychecks?
TRC, we are writing about the people who owned this publication and have just bought one in New York. Can you get in touch please?
pam.robinson@patch.com
Shaking my head

Lake Villa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

I miss all the bad grammar and typos. It was good for a lot of laughs. Loved to see what people were trying to sell.
Corine

Fox Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

I liked the recipes the readers sent in. Got some great ones from that paper. I miss it.
Anonymous

Santa Maria, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

I worked at the advertiser for 2 years all the way up until they shut the doors. My last paycheck was around $1000 and I never received it either. The advertiser was owned by the same people for years and new ownership came in and scammed everyone! It didn't close because it was a dying industry. it closed because the new owners had no experience in the newspaper business what so ever and ran it to the ground. The new owners not only didn't give us our last paychecks but they also stopped paying into people's 401K's and insurance as soon as they took over! Hope this helps
Corine

Fox Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

I'm so sorry for you. Can you sue them?? I imagine it happened to the whole crew.
Michelle

Trevor, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Change wrote:
<quoted text> Good point I didn't even think about those store ads. Sad to see another business go under. We will see a lot of changes with the way news is delivered, its the electronic age now.
The problem with that is that 95% of the job offerings on the internet are fake, false, or just looking to get information from you. It would be nice to have a paper that tells you who really is hiring, for a legit job....ugh
charlie

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

I was a pinter for 25 yrs .prepress printing is hard a way to make money anymore.the big guys put all the small guys out.now prices are so low you cant make it anymore . the internet killed printing .Now you can shop anywhere and get it in 3 days free shipping. ps antioch you let walmart in now the little guys are done will all be gone .real shame was real nice town 50 years ago but last 20 not so much.lol and taxs they are all going to head north
Mystery Man

Gurnee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

charlie wrote:
I was a pinter for 25 yrs .prepress printing is hard a way to make money anymore.the big guys put all the small guys out.now prices are so low you cant make it anymore . the internet killed printing .Now you can shop anywhere and get it in 3 days free shipping. ps antioch you let walmart in now the little guys are done will all be gone .real shame was real nice town 50 years ago but last 20 not so much.lol and taxs they are all going to head north
another blow to printing was the quick printing off a computer.
no mess, done within a minute, quality sucked but no one cares, anyone can run a printer hooked up to a computer.
Heck now you don't even really need the computer most can just print off the camera or phone. Still need a computer to make serious photo adjustments.
Point is printing is a dying business.
Shame really it used to be a great choice for a career.
Every printer i knew always took real pride in their work.
mike griffin

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

I too am sad the advert. Is no longer avail.i felt the co.really let all of us down,not a way to do buis.,i looked forward to that paper ea. Week as all of u have,what a shame ,were loosing all what long term res. Have relaxed,got hope,and basically just enjoyed the paper,,what a shame
Pam Robinson

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Corine wrote:
I'm so sorry for you. Can you sue them?? I imagine it happened to the whole crew.
We wrote about the Advertiser's owners here when they tried to buy the Long-Islander newspaper. But the deal was called off. Here's the article:
http://huntington.patch.com/articles/long-isl...
ken

Libertyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

where wil i go to put help wanted ads for my company now i use alot of people that dont have a computer so where will they see it ken
Pete

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

The Advertisor wnt out of business and did not pay heir emplyees for their last week
JOSE

Zion, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

I'M A GARAGE SALE JUNKY, WHERE DO PEOPLE POST THEIR GARAGE SALES NOW ?????? I HOPE SOMEONE WILL BRING IT BACK. THE NEWSUN ?? WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.
JOSE

Zion, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

ken wrote:
where wil i go to put help wanted ads for my company now i use alot of people that dont have a computer so where will they see it ken
---HEY KEN, NEED SOMEONE TO MOW LAWNS ?? I'M 59 RETIRED AND BORED. NEED SOMEONE TO CUT LAWNS ??$ 12 AN HOUR ?? I'M AVAILABLE . I'M FIT AND I GO TO THE GYM 5 TIMES A WEEK. AT MY AGE I CAN STILL OUT WORK THE YOUNG KIDS. JOSE.
Oil Doc

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

I worked at the Advertiser back in 77, 78. It was a great place to work back then and I am sure it was all the way up until Carol sold it. Toby and Ron, Carols father and husband, have since passed away and I am sure she just wanted to retire. I am also sure that if she knew what was going to happen with the new owners, she would have found another buyer. They ALWAYS cared about their employees.

I was back in Antioch in January and couldn't believe it was closed... The old Printing Press, that I drove the forklift to place it, was still there.

Mick, Charlie (Hammu), Geske, Chester and the rest of the crew... Hope you are all well..
DamonZ28

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

I know this thread is a year old, but I have to throw in my 2 cents. I work for a trucking company that hauled several loads of shoppers to different locations around Chicago, in early 2012. We racked up $8500 in transportation charges before we realized they weren't paying their bills. We never did recover any of that money, and it still stings. We tried to recover the money from the company that bought them, and at first they said they would pay, but then never did.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 37 of37
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lake Villa Discussions

Search the Lake Villa Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 min newpoly 1,832
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints 2 hr duh 62
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr Obama Suks 48,696
Have you gotten a red light camera ticket in La... (Feb '13) 12 hr idiot watch 114
St. Vincent DePaul Store Thrift Store Moving to... 19 hr Will ItAlsoStayIn MIDLO__ 2
Grayslake or Gurnee (Mar '11) 19 hr Lake County Citizen 42
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Sat Midlothian Composer 3,819
•••

Flood Warning for Lake County was issued at July 13 at 4:12AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lake Villa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lake Villa People Search