What happened to the Advertiser in Antioch?

Posted in the Lake Villa Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jaja

Waukegan, IL

#1 Oct 16, 2012
Anyone know what happened with the Advertiser Network in Antioch? Hadn't been receiving their paper so I went on the website a couple of weeks ago and they said that you had to sign up for free delivery. I imagine with all of the papers that lay in driveways without ever getting picked up it was no longer cost effective to deliver to everyone in town. Tried to look at their website again today and it is no longer there.
Ingleside Resident

Scottsdale, AZ

#2 Oct 16, 2012
I just called them and they no longer do door to door delivery, they are located in your local grocery stores and gas stations.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#3 Oct 16, 2012
I heard they sold and this was the new owners approach. I can believe it, it got thinner and thinner every week.

One thing tho, while their distribution is way down (ie, no longer in everyone's driveway) they haven't reduced their ad prices any.
Ant in Antioch

Chicago, IL

#4 Oct 17, 2012
Craigslist.
Change

Elk Grove Village, IL

#5 Oct 18, 2012
News Reader 2011 wrote:
I heard they sold and this was the new owners approach. I can believe it, it got thinner and thinner every week.
One thing tho, while their distribution is way down (ie, no longer in everyone's driveway) they haven't reduced their ad prices any.
It is sad to see another business go under. This time it was a victim of the changing techologies. I grew up with the advertiser and I looked forward to seeing it each week but as you mentioned it got thinner and much smaller in dimensions. The electronic age is making these printed publication obsolete. I believe we will see many newspapers suffer the same fate. People get their information online now. You can reach a world-wide market for little or no cost now. If you can put an ad on places like Craigs List for free and reach a global market why would anyone want to pay to reach a much smaller market? It's the end of the mom and pop stores and businesses when you can sit at home and shop. The upside is that today you can find almost anything you want. If you miss something you had as a child you can find it now. If you need a part for a very rare product you own you can find it now. As one door closes another opens. Imagine what future generations will have!
Question

Round Lake, IL

#6 Oct 21, 2012
One of the best things about the advertiser were the grocery store ads. Now what do we have to do, drive to each and every store to get their sale paper before makng the shopping list?

Looks like the advertiser totally shut down their website now.
Change

Elk Grove Village, IL

#8 Oct 23, 2012
Question wrote:
One of the best things about the advertiser were the grocery store ads. Now what do we have to do, drive to each and every store to get their sale paper before makng the shopping list?
Looks like the advertiser totally shut down their website now.
Good point I didn't even think about those store ads. Sad to see another business go under. We will see a lot of changes with the way news is delivered, its the electronic age now.
No business skills

Montgomery, IL

#9 Oct 25, 2012
News Reader 2011 wrote:
I heard they sold and this was the new owners approach. I can believe it, it got thinner and thinner every week.
One thing tho, while their distribution is way down (ie, no longer in everyone's driveway) they haven't reduced their ad prices any.
about 2 months ago I noticed that I didnt get an Advertiser for 2 weeks so I called them. They said they had a paper shortage. Then no paper for about 6 weeks. Stopped by a local gas station 2 weeks ago and seen the Oct.14 edition. While talking to the gal there, she said that what she heard was, when the new owners came in, apparently they took the remaining employees retirement contributions and for a while their doors were actually locked.(this is hear-say though) The Oct. 14 edition was like 8 pages and had nothing in it. Cant imagine many businesses getting hooked up with that paper anymore, plus there is a new?? paper out called the Hi-liter that caters to Southern Wisconsin-Antioch-Lake Villa. In the old days you always waited for Wed night-Thursday morning for the Advertiser but now-adays it has been run into the ground.
Change

Elk Grove Village, IL

#10 Oct 27, 2012
No business skills wrote:
<quoted text>about 2 months ago I noticed that I didnt get an Advertiser for 2 weeks so I called them. They said they had a paper shortage. Then no paper for about 6 weeks. Stopped by a local gas station 2 weeks ago and seen the Oct.14 edition. While talking to the gal there, she said that what she heard was, when the new owners came in, apparently they took the remaining employees retirement contributions and for a while their doors were actually locked.(this is hear-say though) The Oct. 14 edition was like 8 pages and had nothing in it. Cant imagine many businesses getting hooked up with that paper anymore, plus there is a new?? paper out called the Hi-liter that caters to Southern Wisconsin-Antioch-Lake Villa. In the old days you always waited for Wed night-Thursday morning for the Advertiser but now-adays it has been run into the ground.
Just like the Squire in Antioch it's sad to see these things leave! We are all getting older I guess. Things change.
Mystery Man

Morton Grove, IL

#11 Oct 28, 2012
There is now a thread about the Squire restaurant and Walgreen.
It deserves some posting too.
Maybe if we bring attention to these good businesses we're losing it might help encourage other good businesses to stay.
It might also enlighten anyone starting a new business that this area would support and appreciate them.

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#12 Oct 29, 2012
The Squire & Walgreens are a very different animal. I'm not sure, but based on the full parking lot the Squire was profitable. Walgreens wanted more space, and had the means to buy everyone on that corner out.

The Advertiser is a victim of the times. Newspapers just can't make it anymore. Like someone posted earlier, Craig's list is free. I had a garage sale, advertised on Craig's list and two "garage sale" pages on Facebook and had a great turnout - no advertising cost at all. I did try to use the Advertiser, but missed the ad deadline.

I do miss the Advertiser. I always loved the recipe pages, the restaurant coupons, the sale papers, and just reading the ads - you never knew what you'd find.
Doug

Round Lake, IL

#13 Nov 7, 2012
No business skills wrote:
<quoted text>about 2 months ago I noticed that I didnt get an Advertiser for 2 weeks so I called them. They said they had a paper shortage. Then no paper for about 6 weeks. Stopped by a local gas station 2 weeks ago and seen the Oct.14 edition. While talking to the gal there, she said that what she heard was, when the new owners came in, apparently they took the remaining employees retirement contributions and for a while their doors were actually locked.(this is hear-say though) The Oct. 14 edition was like 8 pages and had nothing in it. Cant imagine many businesses getting hooked up with that paper anymore, plus there is a new?? paper out called the Hi-liter that caters to Southern Wisconsin-Antioch-Lake Villa. In the old days you always waited for Wed night-Thursday morning for the Advertiser but now-adays it has been run into the ground.
There was a period of about 2 and a half weeks where the doors were shut and locked. A bunch of rumors have been circulating about the ultimate fate of the paper; unfortunately no one at the paper is willing to comment for the record. Many good people lost their jobs there; many others got out while the gettin' was good...change is sometimes hard, but change with no clear vision or even a half-baked plan is business suicide. To those left there; good luck to you!
No business skills

Aurora, IL

#14 Nov 9, 2012
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a period of about 2 and a half weeks where the doors were shut and locked. A bunch of rumors have been circulating about the ultimate fate of the paper; unfortunately no one at the paper is willing to comment for the record. Many good people lost their jobs there; many others got out while the gettin' was good...change is sometimes hard, but change with no clear vision or even a half-baked plan is business suicide. To those left there; good luck to you!
There were some very good people over there. We used to run ads with them all the time(Help Wanted, business cards..etc) they were very creative and they used to work with you in order to put out a quality advertisment and price, but when the new owners came in. Poof. That was it. Too Bad. We have not inquired with the Hi-lites paper yet but from what I'm hearing some residents in Antioch are now getting home delivery of that paper.
Buggy whips R Us

Round Lake, IL

#15 Nov 9, 2012
In my opinion, this was an outdated business model that lacked to foresight to become an electronic version of themselves with the explosion in Internet/smart phone use. They already had the experience, staff and capital infrastructure to make this happen but failed to act. It could have been a success and is. It's called Craigslist.

I would speculate that the money being made in the years leading into 08 on real estate adds clouded the vision that it would never end and that they could simply ignore a tech hungry population. It ended and so did they.

Trying to come up with the next big thing now is a little difficult when someone already did it for them. And did it for free as well.

Just a thought.
jackson

Chicago, IL

#17 Nov 15, 2012
Mystery Man wrote:
There is now a thread about the Squire restaurant and Walgreen.
It deserves some posting too.
Maybe if we bring attention to these good businesses we're losing it might help encourage other good businesses to stay.
It might also enlighten anyone starting a new business that this area would support and appreciate them.
The Squire deserved to be closed, the last time we ate there there were bugs in the windows and spider webs, which makes me wonder how clean was the kitchen? And the motel was on its last legs too.
trc

Waukegan, IL

#18 Nov 26, 2012
My husband worked for this company for years. His last delivery for them was August 2012. As of today they still have not paid him. This company didn't even have enough care in the world to let workers know that they closed their door. As of today my husband still has not received his last paycheck. No call, letter, nothing. Any one have any ideas on how the previous employees can get their last paychecks?
trc

Waukegan, IL

#19 Nov 26, 2012
My previous post is in regards to the Advertiser in Antioch,Il

Since: Oct 11

Antioch, IL

#20 Nov 27, 2012
trc wrote:
My husband worked for this company for years. His last delivery for them was August 2012. As of today they still have not paid him. This company didn't even have enough care in the world to let workers know that they closed their door. As of today my husband still has not received his last paycheck. No call, letter, nothing. Any one have any ideas on how the previous employees can get their last paychecks?
Try to find out if they are filing bankruptcy and then make a claim as a creditor. I'd suggest contacting other employees to see if they are in the same boat, and then banding together and hiring an attorney.

I'm no expert, but it's a start
Lake Villa Resident

Grayslake, IL

#21 Dec 10, 2012
I liked getting the advertiser too. I will miss it. It was the best place to put an ad too. Things always sold quickly. I think part of their problem was that they really printed too many different sections of the paper. They should have had only had two zones - North Region and South Region. The way they had it set up my ads would go to Round Lake but not Lake Villa or Grayslake. You had to pay so much to get other areas. Plus then they were printing like eight different papers. And they did get so small it was barely worth reading because of that. Sorry to see them go though :(
Dan

Chicago, IL

#22 Dec 13, 2012
Buggy whips R Us wrote:
In my opinion, this was an outdated business model that lacked to foresight to become an electronic version of themselves with the explosion in Internet/smart phone use. They already had the experience, staff and capital infrastructure to make this happen but failed to act. It could have been a success and is. It's called Craigslist.
I would speculate that the money being made in the years leading into 08 on real estate adds clouded the vision that it would never end and that they could simply ignore a tech hungry population. It ended and so did they.
Trying to come up with the next big thing now is a little difficult when someone already did it for them. And did it for free as well.
Just a thought.
They already had an online version they published along with the print version. They'd been doing that for years. Them shutting down was not the result of refusing to adapt to the times or being behind the curve. It was the result of somebody buying it from the previous owner that had no clue what they were doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Villa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
which neighborhood has more crime or is more gh... (Jul '09) 12 min juju 122
youth center 5 hr congrats 4
Sherwin Williams in Antioch Bank Space next to ... 6 hr NeuHaven mom 6
Sheri Jesiel, left, and Loren Karner are candid... 11 hr DontFeedthePoliti... 2
Review: Sentry Restorations 11 hr in shock 4
New to Hainesville,il (Sep '10) Sun no more esl 20
Round Lake Beach Monthly Expenses Sun they suck 2
Lake Villa Dating
Find my Match

Lake Villa Jobs

Lake Villa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lake Villa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lake Villa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]