Wants track mudslides considered in GPT study

Jan 8, 2013 Full story: Bellingham Herald

So far this month, The Bellingham Herald has run five stories about mudslides along the BNSF railroad tracks and the effects of these slides on passenger and freight traffic: "Slide hits BNSF tracks in Nisqually area," "Mudslide derails BNSF train in W. Washington," "Passenger train moratorium extended by new slide," "Mudslides plague railroad ... (more)

Full Story
Justa Thought

Everett, WA

#1 Jan 16, 2013
If Sounder is paying BNSF for the use of the tracks, and BNSF is losing money hand over fist due to loss of freight traffic on the railway between Seattle and Everett, why on gods green earth wouldn't this crappy railroad erect their own retaining walls rather than constantly just move the dirt from the tracks to the ocean?
I mean really, I understand that there are morons that live on the sides of cliffs that have incorrect water run-off, and that no one will help them correct the issue, the least of which would be BNSF itself. So at the end of the day, why wouldn't BNSF simply safeguard their own investment with a really big investment in retaining walls along the railway? Retaining walls much like that along highways, complete with wailers and cement block would be a good start. OR they could certainly work with us along the tracks to reduce water run off, and what is running off, to direct appropriately. But nothing, absolutely nothing comes the high powered, unionized, jacks that run the railroad.
It should also be noted that if the dam railway would actually adhere to their own speed limits, much of the ground movement would be minimized in the first place. Sure they follow the speed limit of 25mph during the day, but at night? Forget it, its like a mad mans run out there, particularly in the summer.
Tired of spending money on mudslides BNSF, start fixing the problem proactively. Short of that Sounder should try to sue for services not delivered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Stevens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fellowship and faith: Shia Muslims work to brid... Nov 22 tom_ 1
Around the county Nov 16 Puget Lowland 1
School shooting Nov 14 Sandy 6
Around the County Nov 4 citizen-pulls-ove... 1
Reports Of Shooting At Washington High School Nov 1 R Adams 10
Lake Stevens Garage Door Repair Oct 30 BrandPacholik 1
Everett Garage Door Repair Oct 30 HaubrichLucas 1

Flood Watch for Snohomish County was issued at November 24 at 12:37PM PST

Lake Stevens News Video

Lake Stevens Dating