Coastal board OKs school

Coastal board OKs school

There are 32 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Jan 7, 2009, titled Coastal board OKs school. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

The California Coastal Commission on Wednesday evening approved the construction of a high school in San Pedro, ending a divisive multiyear effort to bring a new secondary campus to the southern end of Los ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
san pedro fever

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#24 Jan 10, 2009
Yup, Pedro is the best!!!
Keep Students 1st

Chino Hills, CA

#25 Jan 12, 2009
Lets remember... Students 1st.
and this makes sense how

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#26 Jan 13, 2009
so let me get these facts straight; LAUSD tells people of san pedro they will build a school to decrease overcrowding at sphs.

instead they are screwing over the people in san pedro by not decreasing overcrowding at sphs, instead they are spending over 100 million dollars on a marine biology and police magnet school. hey new schools are good, the children are our future.

so this is a new program, right...thats why they need this new school? no, there already is a marine biology and police magnet school!?

huhm, since this is replacing an existing school i guess the LAUSD has so much money they can easily allocate funds for this new school? wait i am sitting here watching the news on tv and the main story is how the LAUSD has mis-managed their money and has a budget shortfall of 400 million dollars and they need to fire thousands of teacher.

im sorry school just doesnt make any sense.

this is a terrible business decision. this is terrible for the kids of sphs. this is terrible for the people who live in that neighborhood. terrible for the marina mammal center, terrible for the kids in the "wilderness experience" area.

the only thing this new school is good for is that the kids going to the marine biology/police magnets will have a nice view.

what a waste of money. we can afford to build the school but can't afford to pay the teachers?
-
"Facing a budget shortfall of up to $400 million, the Los Angeles Board of Education will consider today authorizing the dismissal of as many as 2,290 nonpermanent teachers."
senseless

#27 Jan 14, 2009
Just because you do not understand what the bond issues were on the last ballot. And just because you do not understand the way schools are constructed. And just because you have no knowledge about the overcrowding at LAUSD. And just because you are totalyy lacking in the background of the LAUSD building juggernaut. For all of those minor details which you are ignorant of by all means feel free to vent and moan, if it makes you feel better, but it also makes you look extrememly foolish.

That makes a lotta sense!!!
Common Sense

Troy, MI

#28 Jan 14, 2009
One does not need to have a Doctorate in Business (as I do) to understand that during a climate of budgetary crisis there will be the obvious need to reduce/cut spending.

Regardless of a where the bond is coming from the bondholder (LAUSD) will have to pay back the individual investor, in this case the State of California. I have not studied the specific language of this particular bonds conditions but assuming it's structured as most bonds are; not only does the bondholder(LAUSD) have to pay back the original principal loan amount of $100M but also interest.
"
You said it yourself, senseless; the "LAUSD building juggernaut" and the elected officials are all to blame for this gross misspending of tax payers dollars.

Senseless, here is an "investing for beginners" link you might find insightful.

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/bondbasic...
senseless

#29 Jan 14, 2009
The point is that the voters by an overwhelming majority have approved every bond issue that LAUSD has proposed. So don't blame LAUSD blame the Los Angeles population who want new schools.The bond money is only for construction, it cannot be used for anything else.

The issue of whether or not the bonds can be sold in this climate is another matter however...

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#30 Jan 14, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
One does not need to have a Doctorate in Business (as I do) to understand that during a climate of budgetary crisis there will be the obvious need to reduce/cut spending.
Regardless of a where the bond is coming from the bondholder (LAUSD) will have to pay back the individual investor, in this case the State of California. I have not studied the specific language of this particular bonds conditions but assuming it's structured as most bonds are; not only does the bondholder(LAUSD) have to pay back the original principal loan amount of $100M but also interest.
"
You said it yourself, senseless; the "LAUSD building juggernaut" and the elected officials are all to blame for this gross misspending of tax payers dollars.
Senseless, here is an "investing for beginners" link you might find insightful.
http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/bondbasic...
These bonds were passed in elections. The taxpayer pays for the bond in the amount and duration specified in the proposition language. Spending now in a deflationary cycle by building infrastructure is an appropriate countercyclical action. It is argumentative if it were deficit spending based on the magnitude of the amount.
sploco

#31 Jan 14, 2009
Thank you Mr. Keynes!!

But if no one buys the bonds because our ratings are in the tank, will the Obama bailout money come here?? Should it?

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#32 Jan 14, 2009
sploco wrote:
Thank you Mr. Keynes!!
But if no one buys the bonds because our ratings are in the tank, will the Obama bailout money come here?? Should it?
Note the entire statement.
sploco

#33 Jan 14, 2009
Sometimes you can be too cryptic for my little pedro brain sluggy.
GO GREEN

Anaheim, CA

#34 Jan 17, 2009
SLUG, with 712 comments posted, you clearly have an agenda. Give it a rest.
JOHN MAVAR

Los Angeles, CA

#35 Sep 8, 2012
The school is the best new place in San PEDRO. All the haters... HAHA!! small minded folks...on COASTAL NC tried to stop this project. Not on my watch.
Once again ... I am happy I was at the start of the dev. of the school till completion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake San Marcos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gt new identificatn pckage pssports , dl and ot... Jul 25 patrickrobin 1
2003 Chevy Trailblazer-CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND R... (Dec '11) Jul 25 Martha 303
Wildlife and Natural Habitats Master's Degree S... Jun 30 Hippophonium 2
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Escondido Jun '17 Maria 4
News Anti-Sharia, Anti-Islamophobia Protests Clash i... Jun '17 the1911guy 2
rental (Oct '13) Oct '13 perri 1
Chris to Jen Kidney Transplant Fund (Aug '07) Feb '13 perri 3

Lake San Marcos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance