Anyone from the South Bronx? 156 St A...

Anyone from the South Bronx? 156 St Anns avenue?

Posted in the Lake Panasoffkee Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DVD

Schaumburg, IL

#1 Apr 23, 2009
Bronxchester houses. BC.
DeniseJ

Freeport, NY

#2 Apr 23, 2009
My gandma was on 183rd Place. Maybe it was East 183rd. I remember the trains running just steps away. My grandfather worked at that Catholic College. The name escapes me right now.

It was primarily Italian back then with Hispanic moving in. I wonder if those Italian bakeries still exist. The boys played stickball in the street all day and night. It turned out to be a great place to growup.

After grandfather passed, the Christmas tree salesman gave us a tree for free because we didn't have the $30 to buy one. He was a city fireman who had a tree business in December. All his F/F friends worked with him and they drank all night long.
DVD

Schaumburg, IL

#3 Apr 23, 2009
Great memories :)
DeniseJ wrote:
My gandma was on 183rd Place. Maybe it was East 183rd. I remember the trains running just steps away. My grandfather worked at that Catholic College. The name escapes me right now.
It was primarily Italian back then with Hispanic moving in. I wonder if those Italian bakeries still exist. The boys played stickball in the street all day and night. It turned out to be a great place to growup.
After grandfather passed, the Christmas tree salesman gave us a tree for free because we didn't have the $30 to buy one. He was a city fireman who had a tree business in December. All his F/F friends worked with him and they drank all night long.
Spring Hill

Tampa, FL

#4 Apr 23, 2009
I was born and raised on East 183rd St. my family owned the whole block, I was the German Princess as anyone from that era will remember. Now the area is a war zone, highest crime rate in all of the Bronx. There are no white people there anymore, at one time was all Jewish and Irish and German.

Do you mean Fordham University or Mount St. Vicents?

Over on Arthur Ave. the area is now mostly Albanian but those lusious stores are still there.
The restaurants are still there, Dominicks, and others people still come from all over for the food.
sol

Tampa, FL

#5 Apr 23, 2009
St Anns Ave

Yes PS 9

Knew someone that taught there

======////

seems a century ago yes The 20th now 21st
commenting

Tampa, FL

#6 Apr 23, 2009
Liked the referance to "SOUTH BRONX"

The Bronx, became at the beginning, being split by JEROME AVENUE, which ran North and South, into the WEST & EAST BRONX.... Street addresses starting at #1 and going up on eather side of Jerome.

When The Bronx shifted from being EAST and WEST and shifted into SOUTH AND NORTH is really a mystery (yeah in 60s, 70s, 80s) but it seemed to be an economic label.

To live EAST meant Low Class, West 'got the cash'..... To offset this, THE GRAND CONCOURSE, modeled after a street in Paris, and 3 streets into the east was modelled as 'The GREATEST'

Anyhow "South" became "OW!" as "EAST" had been the "OW!"....... its border on the north kept and keeps moving north........ so where "OW!" is depends on the "NOW"

Sounds like those areas in Hernando and Spring Hill that may go ........ "OW!"....."OW! "......
DVD

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Apr 23, 2009
I am from the current era, after the crack invasion and before the wet (weed dipped in formaldehyde) invasion it seems as if I got in time. My kids are good kids hopefully not affected from the past. This is why I could never take anything for granted and I am grateful for everything. God has blessed me and him I thank. St Ann and 156 streets. Is near the HUB that is the stores on Third Avenue. The old Alexander's (not the one on Fordham) the Herns and the 5 and 10 which were Woolworth and macroys
Spring Hill

Tampa, FL

#8 Apr 23, 2009
The South Bronx is being reborn again, with the new stadium, there are plans for parks, new million dollar condos, the area around 160th and the Concourse is the IN place right now. I saw pictures of Mott Haven, clean neat buildings renovated....a real eye opener. Meanwhile the area North is going in the dumpster. They now say that Fordham Rd. is the South Bronx.....don't get that, but the area sure is a changing.
abcd

Saint Petersburg, FL

#9 May 19, 2009
The Bronx will rise again. From ashes to glory.
In Horror Of

Tampa, FL

#10 May 19, 2009
folks who think The Bronx was burned

shucks..... my 'ash pit' in The Bronx just brought me 2-1/5 million...... yeah high on a hill about 6 blocks from the childhood home of JFK and near the Russian Embassy
abcd

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 May 19, 2009
Apartments that we hung out in back in the day are selling for 750,000 and up. They were no where close to your high heeled area in riverdale.
Spring Hill

Tampa, FL

#12 May 19, 2009
The area around Mott Haven seems to be delightful have seen pictures, very clean, houses kept nice and there are several new codo's where they start around $220,000 and up, but are small under 900 sq. ft.
abcd

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 May 20, 2009
No matter what they do, you have to get the animals out of those neighborhoods. The gangs, the punks, the criminals. The good folks need to push them out.
Took a ride though the old haunts a few years ago and it was obvious that while the scenery changed, the underclass was still in control of the streets. What a shame. People putting in big money to live behind window gates and multiple locks on steel reinforced doors. The criminals are free and the citizens are in lock up.
battering ram

Tampa, FL

#14 May 20, 2009
in the past some put a rams head on a pole

if rammed by the rams head some animals fled

would suggest that flight is better than might

but some like to try to bite...... like a kitty cat.....
abcd

Saint Petersburg, FL

#15 May 21, 2009
You make as much sense as a kid with dyslexia
whiteboy

Tampa, FL

#16 Nov 22, 2009
DVD wrote:
Bronxchester houses. BC.
yes,i was raised in (520)bronxchester since maybe 78-79 cant remember building was new.geeeze my grandparents,neices,nephews,si sters,brothers still have the same original apartment seen many come and go.lot of great people great friends and great memories.
Commenter

Inverness, FL

#17 Nov 22, 2009
now where did the poster of # 16 come from and tell please why an old deserted topic, not posted since May some 6 months before, end up as the place for him to appear?

knew the area about St Annes; doubt that some kid there would be confused as to being a boy or possibly a toy; color matters not; all but result of being a cumquot.

hence, so what! oh my dear

oh, taught at PS 9
--- aka ---

Inverness, FL

#18 Nov 22, 2009
A bit lonely here

Been checking time to time, good thing Topix not a phone.

Why?

Seems that nobody, or but a few, have a dime to make a call

\;<)

Hi Guys!
abcd

Hudson, FL

#19 Nov 23, 2009
--- aka --- wrote:
A bit lonely here
Been checking time to time, good thing Topix not a phone.
Why?
Seems that nobody, or but a few, have a dime to make a call
\;<)
Hi Guys!
Yes, just checking, arent ya?. Looks like a brew ha ha brewing on the thread about the excercise place. Heated tempers.
--- aka ---

Inverness, FL

#20 Nov 23, 2009
hi -

some of us -you and thee
do want to see
me though don't want to be appropo
nor do you

\;<)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Panasoffkee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 years of drugs... crime... crime... crime... ... 15 hr Four finger Jimmy 2
something other than nothing 19 hr gOOD bOY 3
does this look like a 4 wheel drive 2002 model ... (Oct '14) Fri Dude 2
Kristopher Bentz (Aug '08) Thu Childish 20
Review: Blairs Toy Schnauzers (Dec '10) Thu yatta 45
double homicide that occuried jan 17 03 (Dec '07) Jul 29 yatta 3
I need a man! Jul 28 lost at last 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Panasoffkee Mortgages