law enforcement trap
Sally Katharyn Leberman

Lithia, FL

#1 Feb 20, 2006
We stopped at Exit 314 at a McDonalds in Bushnell. We did not see the sign that said no right turn coming out of McDonalds. Well, we had to go back the way we came, didn't we? That was the correct way to Interstate 75. But, you aren't ALLOWED to turn left! I never heard of such a thing. It obviously is a ploy meant to make money for the state because your natural instinct is to go back the way you came. Even the obnoxious cop said he didn't know why EVERYBODY missed that. He was just sitting there waiting for us to turn the wrong way. It's like a speed trap only without the speed.

If the cop hadn't been so abusive we wouldn't have minded so much but he said it was a stupid thing to do when he was right across the street! Well, DUH! How could it be stupid when we didn't see the sign??? It was an HONEST mistake which apparantly everyone makes.He must be the only one in the whole world who doesn't make a mistake.

From now on they can forget asking us for donations. With rude cops like that, who wants to help them?
lakepanguy

Dade City, FL

#2 Feb 23, 2006
You didn't see the sign because you were not looking for it. No matter who you are or where you are it is your resposibility as a motorist to look for and read ALL traffic control signs and devices. By the way the sign is about 24 inchs by 24 inchs and easily read from over 50 feet away. As for abusive cops most people have bad days from time to time cops have more than most because people who don't read signs constantly curse them for doing their jobs. The left turn at that particular intersection was removed and the curb angled to the right because the traffic comeing out of Walmart and McDonalds rarely yielded to the through traffic they way they are legally supposed to. Just because you are out of town and unfamiliar with the area you should have been far more attentive to the signs in the area.
Ky Granny

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Mar 14, 2006
wish I was back in Lake Panasoffkee again I loved it there but your right some of us have good days some bad. I had to deal with the law there in Sumter county I found that they was really nice people, and they understand everyone makes a mistake, maybe it was your attitude, dont know I wasnt there..hope it works out for you though have a great day :)
Larry Robinson

Sanford, FL

#4 Feb 5, 2007
It is now part of the federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices that streets and driveways too close to a major signalized intersection or interchange must be restricted to right turns. This prevents dangerous conflicts. We will be seeing a lot more of these right-turn only driveways in the future.

What amazes me is that too many people would rather break the law, instead of making the required right turns (in the wrong direction), then finding a handy block to go around on the left side of the road (turn left, then make three right turns). If it is not known if such a block exists to go around, a shopping center or business driveway on ther left side could be used to turn around in.
Kelly

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 6, 2007
WELCOME TO SUMTER COUNTY :(
Sally Katharyn Leberman wrote:
We stopped at Exit 314 at a McDonalds in Bushnell. We did not see the sign that said no right turn coming out of McDonalds. Well, we had to go back the way we came, didn't we? That was the correct way to Interstate 75. But, you aren't ALLOWED to turn left! I never heard of such a thing. It obviously is a ploy meant to make money for the state because your natural instinct is to go back the way you came. Even the obnoxious cop said he didn't know why EVERYBODY missed that. He was just sitting there waiting for us to turn the wrong way. It's like a speed trap only without the speed.
If the cop hadn't been so abusive we wouldn't have minded so much but he said it was a stupid thing to do when he was right across the street! Well, DUH! How could it be stupid when we didn't see the sign??? It was an HONEST mistake which apparantly everyone makes.He must be the only one in the whole world who doesn't make a mistake.
From now on they can forget asking us for donations. With rude cops like that, who wants to help them?
David

Kissimmee, FL

#6 Jul 8, 2007
I agree with the trap theory. How about the police officer says, you folks are from out of town, and you did safely make that illegal turn. Have a good day and a safe trip and look more closely at the traffic signs while you are here in Florida.
NOOOOOOOOOO.....Most are asho's and get a thrill out of intimidating you. And by the way, will lie to you while smiling and serving and protecting the public. BEWARE.... WHEN IN FLORIDA, LOOK OUT FOR THE HEADSTRONG TROOPERS THAT MAY PULL YOU OVER AND BUST YOUR BALLS.
I KNOW OF AIRPORT INCIDENTS THAT WOULD NOT LET YOU SLEEP....
Brian

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#7 Jul 28, 2007
Sally Katharyn Leberman wrote:
Sally,
Yes that is a confusing intersection for people to use to it. You have to go all the way through the Wal-Mart parking lot and go around. you not seeing the sign in not a reason to clla the area a trap. The road reflectores and right turn arrow on the ground are easily seen. You had to go around the reflectors to make your turn. therefore you knew what you were doing. So stop whinning about that. If the officer was rude and out of line, which can happen in any business why don't you call City Hall or the Police Department and make your complaint instead of bashing a whole community of law enforcement officers who do work hard every day to make sure that you are safe, even if they have to protect you from yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Panasoffkee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deplorable Deb Tue joker joe 2
Review: 21st Century Research Mon 21st Century Rese... 1
Spring Hill....a good place to live ?? (Mar '11) Jan 7 joker 258
i need a hello Jan 2 ddt 10
News Florida Focus (Jun '10) Jan 1 ddddd 13
Rebecca Banks?? Dec 30 ddddd 2
must go away Dec 27 volunt 1

Lake Panasoffkee Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance