Hopes new president will realize the ...

Hopes new president will realize the value of Guantanamo

There are 27 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 2, 2008, titled Hopes new president will realize the value of Guantanamo. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Comments on Topix forums : For galling, failed, attempted humor and ridiculousness, the author of the letter, 'Has another suggestion for using Guantanamo,' , reveals his light-headed appraisal of our country's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
susan boyer

Saluda, SC

#1 Dec 3, 2008
Personally, I think they should send Gitmo prisoners to Chicago jails. Perhaps a few could be sprinkled in San Francisco lockups as a symbolic gesture as well.
OUTSPOKEN

Princeton Junction, NJ

#2 Dec 3, 2008
The concept of a jail/prison outside to continental limits of the US should be very desirable, managed and staffed by American service personnel. Guantanamo is ideal for many reasons, logistics, in close profanity to the US and a vast number of other positives. However, we again shot our selves in the foot by trying to operate a prison with an ill ed trained staff to an unfriendly and biased press.
Also, we had judges that were allowed to legislate from the bench.
When the dust settles, I believe that the prison at Guantanamo will be emptied, the majority of the inmates will be freed and will return to harm us another day and we will re-invent the wheel again.
Present elect will give the liberal left something in order to do some of the things he must do.
Again, those that defend us must bear the brunt of a very bad political promise.
bushwacker

Canton, NC

#3 Dec 3, 2008
So w has protected us.What a joke.Toys with lead paint, tainted food we eat,our jobs our economy in the ditch.Largest debt in history,falling dollar.W and the repigs have bankrupted America and it will be years before we get back to where we were in 2001.
alekas

Glen Ellyn, IL

#4 Dec 3, 2008
for the left, Guantanamo has symbolic value mostly. They see it as proof that America is wrong, that it's all our fault..this is from the Deepak Chopra school of crystal, incense, and meditation.
Dionysis

Greenville, SC

#5 Dec 3, 2008
Incredible that people will go through all kinds of machinations to find a way to support the continuation of Guantanamo and the continual black eye it gives this country. Here are some reasons to close that friggin' place:

1. It is fundamentally un-American, and as court case after court case has shown, the Bush regime has been slapped down regarding their efforts to justify its retention.

2. It has been directly instrumental in increasing attacks on Americans, as Lt. Col. Darrel Vandeveld (Gitmo prosecutor) publicly stated in a BBC interview yesterday, as well as providing a venue for some to "sully the Constitution."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7761315.s...

3. There are about 500 people being kept there currently; only four have any charges whatsoever against them. The others have been kept indefinitely without charges.

4. The military courts are adequate to adjudicate these cases as they stand now, according to many experts.

The notion that this disgraceful chapter in our history is somehow only of concern to "the left" is as wrong as it is moronic. Fealty to American values, the Constitution and international law should have no partisan bias. If it does, then those who are biased against closing it are demonstrating they don't give a flip about our values, Constitution or international law. They just like to huff and puff like their having a testosterone high.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#6 Dec 3, 2008
bushwacker wrote:
So w has protected us.What a joke.Toys with lead paint, tainted food we eat,our jobs our economy in the ditch.Largest debt in history,falling dollar.W and the repigs have bankrupted America and it will be years before we get back to where we were in 2001.
Dear God don't let us go back to 2001s economy. The artificially inflated (by Clinton's people) tech bubble burst. Give me the 2005 economy with record low unemployment and a blazingly hot economy. Which was superior to the liberal heralded Clinton economy but because it was Bush the ignorant bushpudwhackers are too blinded by ignorant loyalty to see it.

Aren't we down around 45 days till you go away forever now? Bon voyage.
Ghost Dog

Waterloo, IA

#7 Dec 3, 2008
What happened at Abu Ghraib and GITMO provided Al Qaeda with it's best recruitment advertisement. GITMO was Unamerican, a slap in the face of everything America has stood for, like adherance to the Geneva Conventions and no torture policies that made our military superior to their opponents. GITMO and the practices of the Bush administration defamed America, brought US down to the level of our enemies. Plus, it was another venue for KBR/Haliburton and other contractors to take more of the taxpayer's money in "no-bid" contracts.
Journeyman

Raleigh, NC

#8 Dec 3, 2008
"Hopes new president will realize the value of Guantanamo"
Unlike the last president who seemingly only understood the value of guano!

Since: Nov 08

Greenville, SC

#9 Dec 3, 2008
President Elect Obama was approached today by what was described as a total of 80 stars worth of generals and Admirals. They begged him to shut down Gitmo and end American torture. Shove it all you right wing psychopaths, we're taking America back. Just keep practicing saying it..."President Barack Hussein Obama."

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 3, 2008
alekas wrote:
for the left, Guantanamo has symbolic value mostly. They see it as proof that America is wrong, that it's all our fault..this is from the Deepak Chopra school of crystal, incense, and meditation.
So you support torture, I take it?
susan boyer

Saluda, SC

#11 Dec 3, 2008
tarheelborn wrote:
<quoted text>
So you support torture, I take it?
Define torture. That is really where the disagreement is.
bushwacker

Canton, NC

#12 Dec 3, 2008
Twelve retired Generals will be meeting with Obama tomorrow to urge him to close Guantanamo and stop torture.Would say they know a little more about it than susan and you other right wingers and even w.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 3, 2008
susan boyer wrote:
<quoted text>Define torture. That is really where the disagreement is.
I've seen water boarding and aside from being on par with going into a haunted house unwarned it is just terrifing. The practice does not put a persons life in perril or cause any physical harm. I was scared out of my wits as a child in a Halloween haunted house and the mental scar is in the back of my mind. Do we outlaw all haunted houses because they can cause trauma on par with water boarding?

Location hidden

#14 Dec 3, 2008
bushwacker wrote:
Twelve retired Generals will be meeting with Obama tomorrow to urge him to close Guantanamo and stop torture.Would say they know a little more about it than susan and you other right wingers and even w.
Depends on the general. Most now are little more than office workers and bureaucrats. I will believe what I have seen without predjudice.

Location hidden

#15 Dec 3, 2008
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen water boarding and aside from being on par with going into a haunted house unwarned it is just terrifing. The practice does not put a persons life in perril or cause any physical harm. I was scared out of my wits as a child in a Halloween haunted house and the mental scar is in the back of my mind. Do we outlaw all haunted houses because they can cause trauma on par with water boarding?
You have got to be joking....You are comparing Water Boarding with entering a "Haunted House"?

Folks, Yona is clueless...

Location hidden

#16 Dec 3, 2008
tarheelborn wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be joking....You are comparing Water Boarding with entering a "Haunted House"?
Folks, Yona is clueless...
You ever seen it, or are you working off the same blind ignorance that rules your obedience to Obama?

As for my comparison it was based on the fact that the claim against water boarding is not a physical danger. Water boarding is a phycological interrigation method. My point was that the phycological scarring is roughly that of being resoundingly terrified. The haunted house was to show that like the house the water boarding is a temporary and utterly benign.

Location hidden

#17 Dec 3, 2008
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
You ever seen it, or are you working off the same blind ignorance that rules your obedience to Obama?
As for my comparison it was based on the fact that the claim against water boarding is not a physical danger. Water boarding is a phycological interrigation method. My point was that the phycological scarring is roughly that of being resoundingly terrified. The haunted house was to show that like the house the water boarding is a temporary and utterly benign.
Gee, I never knew it was possible to add 2+2 and get 5. Wow...
Stupid Indian Halfbreed

Greer, SC

#18 Dec 3, 2008
Utterly benign? You are utterly stupid.

1 - There's no such thing as ghosts or 'haunted' anything. It's imagination.
1a - Deaf/blind people are essentially immune.
2 - Waterboarding is a physical exercise to invoke the body's natural reaction to suffocation & drowning.
2a - No one is immune.

If it's sooooo safe, why not prove it by volunteering for a session? We'll physically restrain you and begin the drowning process. Soon you'll confess to anything. That's torture.

Location hidden

#19 Dec 3, 2008
tarheelborn wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, I never knew it was possible to add 2+2 and get 5. Wow...
If you can't count, can you read?

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php...
secular rights

Greer, SC

#20 Dec 3, 2008
Yona, stop letting the internet think for you.

Your source...

'HQ for the Conservative Underground' describes waterboarding as "de-humanizing and unpleasant procedure that breaks one’s morale and will."

Well, that's not so bad, is it.

I guess rape is the brief touching of epidermal layers without consent.

Heh, kids do that a hundred times during recess!

Let's waterboard some 6 yr olds and ask them if it was 'spooky' or OMG DADDY IT HURTS!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Junaluska Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Just wondering (Aug '12) Sat trey 3
jason messer (Nov '10) Jun 21 Just me 5
ghost town in the sky (Jul '06) Jun 21 Tammi Newman 24
New in town Jun 19 Concerned 1
Review: Carolina West Dental - Letita Ballance DDS (Oct '11) Jun 9 Anonymous 3
Canton Jukebox (Jul '12) Jun 4 Musikologist 17
Alex Jones (Scotty) (Aug '12) May '16 Pleasehelp 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Junaluska Mortgages