Cash Before Chemo: Hospitals Get Tough

Cash Before Chemo: Hospitals Get Tough

There are 23 comments on the online.wsj.com story from Apr 29, 2008, titled Cash Before Chemo: Hospitals Get Tough. In it, online.wsj.com reports that:

"Am I going to die?"

When Lisa Kelly learned she had leukemia in late 2006, her doctor advised her to seek urgent care at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.But the nonprofit hospital refused to accept Mrs. Kelly's limited insurance. It asked for $105,000 in cash before it would admit her.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at online.wsj.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#1 Apr 29, 2008
This is sick! Doctors are sworn to do no harm, what do they think they are doing by NOT giving the care a person needs?

That was a dumb analogy from that guy about the car, if you finance it, you drive it off the lot with out payment. What a dip S&*%!

If something awful happens to a person because of this pay first policy I hope the family gets very litigious and wins really really big.
Lance Winslow

United States

#2 Apr 29, 2008
Luuccy wrote:
This is sick! Doctors are sworn to do no harm, what do they think they are doing by NOT giving the care a person needs?
That was a dumb analogy from that guy about the car, if you finance it, you drive it off the lot with out payment. What a dip S&*%!
If something awful happens to a person because of this pay first policy I hope the family gets very litigious and wins really really big.
Don't blame the doctors. Healthcare is big business these days and "profit driven".
gerri-berri

Federal Way, WA

#3 Apr 29, 2008
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>Don't blame the doctors. Healthcare is big business these days and "profit driven".
If that is the case, why can an illegal waltz on in and get taken care of?
Womba

Troy, MI

#4 Apr 29, 2008
Maybe it is time to sue the hospitals that take our money and DON'T fix the problem.

And the doctors that prescribe a drug to fix what ails you and it doesn't work.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#5 Apr 29, 2008
Another great example of the crippled health care system in our country. Health care in a supposedly civilized country should be a right, not a privilege or something available only to those who can afford their often idiotic costs.

Since: Aug 07

Utica, KY

#6 Apr 29, 2008
they are simply murderers if they dont treat the patients needs to recover/stableize.
simply put- MURDERERS

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 29, 2008
I have to disagree with the opinions 1-6. First it is hospitals who demand $ up front not doctors. Doctors do not have anything to do with policies of a hospital. Those that do are Administrators. It is they set policies that keep the doors open. Hospitals involvement pertain to such things as MRI's, CATS, Nuclear Medicine, etc. Doctors use these services and they are not hospital personnel but avail themselves of the hospital because it is cheaper than them having to have these machines etc. in their offices because it would be cost prohibitive. Second, if someone came to you for a service you would expect (no- a stronger word)demand payment. Third, the government is tied in with hospitals and through legislation Washington funds hospitals as well as states and local governments. The government is very slow pay or no pay in a large number of cases. Without government timely payment a hospital is forced to restrict that which they can do. Third, the law requires that anyone can seek treatment but the hospital liability in this case is to treat a condition to stabilization. Stabilization means a lot but just one example - if you are bleeding profusely they stop the bleeding. Then if you are uninsured you are discharged. You have been stabilized. That is the requirement made by the fed that must be met. Fourth, prominently posted in every waiting room is the law. Hospitals provide an interpretor for 99% of the languages through an 800 number service so that if you cannot understand English they'll get one on the phone to break it down for you in your own language.Fifth, doctors are responsible for patients. Hospitals are responsible for hospitals.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 29, 2008
A final point. If you are stabilized and have no means beyond that you are referred to an agency who will work on your financial situation and if you qualify for financial assistance you can go forward and get chemo or whatever. If you do not qualify your chemo etc. will not be forthcoming!

Location hidden

#9 Apr 29, 2008
Respondents to important questions such as this one need to educate themselves before spouting off on topics unknown to them. Get the facts before you opine! You won't be exposed as the fools that you are if you take the time to do so!!!!!!!!!!

Since: Apr 08

Boynton Beach, FL

#10 Apr 29, 2008
What a sad, sad story. You would think that we could get it together in the US and provide nationwide health care. Unfortunately, the current system is to profitable for the drug companies, insurance companies, and medical suppliers.
The way this hospital handled this patient is sicking, but I can understand why hospitals are doing this. They have bills to pay too. Insurance companies low ball them on what they will pay, they have to treat patients who have no means to pay for care. So the people, like this lady get stuck paying the difference. It's sad that the people with no insurance, yet who make to much money to qualify as indigent, end up paying far more for services then an insurance company would pay for a patient who has their insurance.
Our nations health care system is in dire straits, it is a very sad, sad thing...
Guess Who

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Apr 30, 2008
dickheadjane wrote:
they are simply murderers if they dont treat the patients needs to recover/stableize.
simply put- MURDERERS
will probably live longer without it....early detection can mean early death.....What a ministry the health profession has become....healing's for money were from long time back conciderd quackery...
Carolyn

United States

#12 Apr 30, 2008
Are you going to die? Yes, you're going to die. Life is fatal none of us are going to get out of life alive. You don't have to give all your money to health care.You don't have to call 9-11 or anyone else.You probably won't be able to anyway, if you're in that predicament. Medicine does not save lives, God does.
twinkle-twelve

United States

#13 Apr 30, 2008
I like flax oil and green chlorophyll personally.

I heard that cancers do not like it though.

Hey bye the way are we not in a green era.

Oh and a report out on Oregano Oil recently said that it is powerful like expensive antibiotics and may be more powerful for developed resistant strains of diseases.

Oh and check this website out its got some rave reviews and may extend you life and alot of quality savings over by pass and other surgeries.

http://www.truehealth.com/advancedartery/inde...

Go green and save some green and your health.

And as Always thank the Almighty for what he made.
And provided freely.
Kirlak

New York, NY

#14 Apr 30, 2008
May be she should call W in the White House. After all, he used to be the Gov of Texas, where he presented himself as "Compassionate Republican". Here is the perfect time for him to show the true nature of his compassionate God fearing self! And,$105,000 USD is just a pocket change for his family!

Location hidden

#15 Apr 30, 2008
I cannot believe that people are whining for universal health csre!! Every single country that has it hate it. They leave their country and flock to the US for treatment! This has been going on for years and has been well recorded.You'd have to be on a desert island not to have read or heard the complaints. And should you be willing to give the dems a chance with this you need to consider that anything that congress has to decide turns out to be a big mess and carries the dead on arrival seal if passed. The majority of Americans have or want medical care. They pay for it! Let the free market handle the medical issue. Left to the Congress (the majority of whom are lawyers) only trial lawyers will benefit. Get real!!

“Freelance New Media Artist”

Since: May 07

Cleveland, OH

#16 May 1, 2008
hello, i'm dr. highway robber, stick 'em up if you please...

because its your money, or your life!

“This is my country”

Williamsburg, Virginia

#17 May 1, 2008
Where is Dr. Greggory House when you need him? He'd have taken her through the back door, given her what she needed and all would be happy...all except perhaps the investors who want a profit from the illness of others (leeches is what they are).

“Freelance New Media Artist”

Since: May 07

Cleveland, OH

#18 May 1, 2008
Patrick-Henry wrote:
Where is Dr. Greggory House when you need him? He'd have taken her through the back door, given her what she needed and all would be happy...all except perhaps the investors who want a profit from the illness of others (leeches is what they are).
we cant rely on fictional characters for answers

though even he has med school bills, operation expenses, and massive insurance premiums to pay... among living expenses (bet he doesnt live in a shack or drive a p.o.s. car)

and if he did what you suggest, and something went wrong, he would lose his license

“This is my country”

Williamsburg, Virginia

#19 May 1, 2008
Jeffery Wright wrote:
<quoted text>
we cant rely on fictional characters for answers
though even he has med school bills, operation expenses, and massive insurance premiums to pay... among living expenses (bet he doesnt live in a shack or drive a p.o.s. car)
and if he did what you suggest, and something went wrong, he would lose his license
Lighten up. It was meant in jest. Sometimes it is easier and better for you to laugh than to cry.
AroundTexas

United States

#20 Dec 24, 2009
It would be nice if health care were a right instead of a privilege. We would've gotten a more universal system ages ago, but insurance was actually too profitable for the unions.

...now isn't that a can of worms?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shady Company (Jun '09) Sep 13 GotMEtoo 19
News Lake Jackson considers teen curfew (Aug '08) Sep 5 More Farts 10
storm Sep 3 maria 1
News What the last Category 4 hurricane to hit Texas... Aug 30 Dow Chemakill 1
News NWS: Catastrophic flooding in Houston metro are... Aug 30 Andrew 1
Jesse 47 seeks single woman 33 for marriage Aug '17 Television Engineer 2
Drowning. 7/21/17 Aug '17 jesse sewell 2

Lake Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance