Doors to close at The Barn of Barrington

Doors to close at The Barn of Barrington

There are 16 comments on the Daily Herald story from Apr 7, 2009, titled Doors to close at The Barn of Barrington. In it, Daily Herald reports that:

The Barn of Barrington announced today it will close before the start of the summer wedding season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Herald.

PEEVEDBRIDE

Westmont, IL

#2 May 21, 2009
They were sure quick to screw over all the summer brides but not so quick with returning the deposit money that is owed to us!! Lies and lies-thats all I got from them at first.. now I have left 4 messages with no returned calls and everybody is playing dumb!!
Annoyed

Schiller Park, IL

#3 May 29, 2009
Peevedbride - I am in the same boat. I was wondering if you had gotten your deposit back yet? I have retained counsel and will sue if necessary although I hope that it doesn't come to that. Have you heard anything from them?
swidman

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Jun 10, 2009
I went and filed a police report with the Barrington Police Dept. On June 3rd. They have an detective working on contacting the owners (who also run Prairie Lodge in Huntley and the new Barley House in Algonquin). So far I have not heard from the police to let me know if they have been able to contact them.

Before I went to the police I called several times before the end of May to find out when my deposit would be sent back to me. So I was getting the runaround from the BOB management, too. Thus, I went to the police.
swidman

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Jun 12, 2009
Going to the police appears to have worked. I actually got a call from Barley House saying they would have the check for my deposit today.

Talked to the police and the detective said another complaint came in after ours. He called up Barley House to say he didn't want to get inundated with complaints. Next thing you know, I'm getting a call from the Barley House.

Good work Barrington Police Department!
Annoyed

Park Forest, IL

#6 Jun 14, 2009
So glad to hear that. I will have to give a call to the Barrington Police Department to see if that will work.

Thanks!
swidman wrote:
Going to the police appears to have worked. I actually got a call from Barley House saying they would have the check for my deposit today.
Talked to the police and the detective said another complaint came in after ours. He called up Barley House to say he didn't want to get inundated with complaints. Next thing you know, I'm getting a call from the Barley House.
Good work Barrington Police Department!
Jen

Plainfield, IL

#7 Jul 10, 2009
I'm in the same situation. After months and months of lies and still no refund on our deposit, I've lodged a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General. I'm hoping with other people without their refunds as well this can turn into the possibility of something "class action". I too called the Barley House and a nice man promised me a call back. 9 days later, still no call. These people have no spine..what a complete dissapointment.
Annoyed

Schiller Park, IL

#8 Jul 13, 2009
This may seem a little strange but I started a blog just for this purpose. I figure it might be an easy way for everyone struggling with this situation to stay informed about what has worked and what hasn't worked with regards to getting the money back. Please feel free to post. Thanks!

http://barngivememymoneyback.blogspot.com/
Jen

Plainfield, IL

#9 Jul 15, 2009
Last week I wrote to NBC5'S Target 5 department. I got an e-mail back from a woman named Paige asking for some more information. I just got done responding to here but it might help if more victims of The Barn of Barrington got involved. Here is her e-mail address.

Paige Westin
NBC Unit 5
[email protected]

I encourage anyone who is in the same position to get involved and help generate media interest in this story.
Jen
Annoyed

Schiller Park, IL

#10 Jul 16, 2009
Jen - thanks so much for the information. I emailed Paige and I will let you know if I hear anything else. Like I mentioned earlier, I started a blog to try to keep track of all the information that I have.

http://barngivememymoneyback.blogspot.com/
Ozzie_Guillen

Torrance, CA

#11 Jul 17, 2009
You should shop Crystal Lake
Annoyed

Schiller Park, IL

#12 Jul 22, 2009
Has anyone gotten their money back?? I just keep getting the same story - we are working on it. I did email Paige and she emailed me back. They told her that they had gotten refunds to everyone so I wanted to see if that were true.
Bridesmom

Crest Hill, IL

#13 Aug 3, 2009
Emails have left us with hollow promises. As of today, August 3, we have not received our refund. It was initially promised in an email correspondence at the end of April. They said 2-3 weeks. You do the math!
Teresa

Northbrook, IL

#14 Aug 25, 2009
Do you know if anybody else will be opening a business there?
Bridesmom

Bolingbrook, IL

#15 Sep 4, 2009
Bridesmom wrote:
Emails have left us with hollow promises. As of today, August 3, we have not received our refund. It was initially promised in an email correspondence at the end of April. They said 2-3 weeks. You do the math!
Just an update. We did get our refund in the middle of August. I hope all the other brides that were impacted by the Barn's closing got their money back as well.
former employee

Wheaton, IL

#16 Oct 21, 2011
you dont want to know wrote:
Well condidering the fact that the lovely non-experienced father and son team who thought they were the new owners when they were'nt brought that place down. Talk about a duo of idiots.I worked for the place and would of worked there for the rest of my life when August was running the facility. Talk about a man who knew what he was doing....I never met or worked with with people like Jason and his father before, what ass-holes. And the way they fired a chef who worked so hard for 30 years there would of broke your heart. Just so they can bring in their own group of idiots.
Revenge is ever so sweet considering the biggest mistake they made was getting rid of the people that knew how to run it.....
Just wanted to add, I worked here when August was running the place and i loved it. Great food, great atmosphere and a really fun place to work. I feel bad for the brides that this happened to. It wouldn't have happened this way a few years ago.
msmedical

Melrose Park, IL

#17 May 6, 2013
former employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wanted to add, I worked here when August was running the place and i loved it. Great food, great atmosphere and a really fun place to work. I feel bad for the brides that this happened to. It wouldn't have happened this way a few years ago.
With reference to working for the father/son team, they were always very good to me and even gave me help when I needed it. It is too bad things went bad. I'm sorry to hear that, they used to be reputable and honest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake in the Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal Alien Costume (Oct '09) 1 hr Colonel Cracker 5
News Prostitution arrest at massage parlor (Jan '10) Thu joe-dough 13
News Icons of Lakemoor Jan 8 Frankf 3
News Santa's Village Closing For Good (Aug '06) Dec 24 Tylerman747 198
News 'Adopt a Family' offers Christmas assistance (Oct '08) Dec '16 Bob 272
News Carpentersville man pleads guilty to sexually a... (Mar '16) Nov '16 No parking on thi... 21
News Sun City sees spike in use of golf carts on str... (Aug '08) Aug '16 FriendlyBeever 11

Lake in the Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake in the Hills Mortgages