Man shot to death by police in Rollin...

Man shot to death by police in Rolling Meadows

There are 54 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 9, 2008, titled Man shot to death by police in Rolling Meadows. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A man brandishing "multiple" knives was shot to death during a confrontation with police outside a Rolling Meadows apartment complex Saturday night, according to authorities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
greg

Luverne, MN

#1 Mar 9, 2008
never bring a knife to a gun fight
USMC ALWAYS

United States

#2 Mar 9, 2008
to many kung fu moivies...
Jack

United States

#3 Mar 9, 2008
Every time someone from the HOOD is arrested or is even a victim, this newspaper lists their rap-sheet or police record. Well....where is this guys police record? In fact I've went thru this whole online paper and anyone of color that either was killed or killed somone their record was reveled. On the other hand caucasions were excluded. WHY?
Penguin

Tinley Park, IL

#6 Mar 9, 2008
They didnt have to kill him, guess they enjoyed a bit the killing, they could have shot him in the legs and disable him, or taser,pepper. Im sure they got trills, just like a deer hunter after the killing..
Anon Coward

United States

#7 Mar 9, 2008
Should have shot him in the legs? What kind of crack are you on?! They are allowed to use deadly force when their lives are in immediate danger. If someone was charging at you with a couple knives, would you shoot at his legs?!

Christ.. the armchair quarterbacking is incredible. What rock do you live under?
Johnny

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 9, 2008
Suburban cops are bumbling fools.
Quayle Dan

Wayne, IL

#10 Mar 9, 2008
IMHO wrote:
Maybe because the caucasians don't have records?
Yeah, most of us white guys moved on to CDs or MP3s. The vinyl thing is so yesterday.

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Lake In The Hills, IL

#13 Mar 9, 2008
That whole section of Rolling Meadows should be leveled and fumigated. All those apartment buildings around Algonquin and Weber are gang and drug in fested. They are the sole reason that Rolling Meadows (an otherwise nice place to live) is jokingly referred to as "Rolling Ghettos." It's sad. It's the main reason we moved from Meadows to Arlington Heights, because the kids were ashamed to tell people what town they lived in.
Dont Shoot Me

Crown Point, IN

#17 Mar 9, 2008
The Chicago police shot and killed a mentally ill man from a halfway house that was brandishing a knife on the car deck of our building complex back in the 90's.

My brother called me because he heard gun shots.
That was my introduction to Chicago.

One of the officers was stabbed by the man. It was later found out that there was inadequate supervision of the halfway house and the man hadn't had his medication for several days.

And I live on the North side.
no one

New Lenox, IL

#18 Mar 9, 2008
No one has to take abuse from someone else and it is the police officer's who have to determine what type of threat someone is to them or anyone else. Do you think the guy who had the knives just came out of church or is a chef and wasn't acting sparatic. They got a obviously from concerned people who felt threatened, should the cops have offered him a latte instead?

“<insert witty comment here>”

Since: Jul 07

Lake In The Hills, IL

#20 Mar 9, 2008
HEAD SHOTS wrote:
Where in that article did it state that he charged the police.
According to the article:
At about 8:50 p.m. police received a call about an armed and intoxicated man from an apartment in the 4800 block of Weber Drive. When officers found the suspect near an adjacent building, they were threatened by Chybicki and responded with lethal force, authorities said.
horsehead

United States

#21 Mar 9, 2008
Unbelievable. I can't believe you folks that defend a knife wielding crazo over the police force. Maybe you'd rather be reading about killed innocent civilians or dead police officers. Maybe you'll be the next story in the paper.
Great job to the police officers. Like someone else said, thanks for saving the tax payers thousands of dollars and possibly innocent lives.
Dont Shoot Me

Crown Point, IN

#24 Mar 9, 2008
horsehead wrote:
Unbelievable. I can't believe you folks that defend a knife wielding crazo over the police force. Maybe you'd rather be reading about killed innocent civilians or dead police officers. Maybe you'll be the next story in the paper.
Great job to the police officers. Like someone else said, thanks for saving the tax payers thousands of dollars and possibly innocent lives.
You can't believe everything the police say.
larry

Wilmette, IL

#25 Mar 9, 2008
Yeah - they got him!!!
Hey_Horsehead_up _your_a--

Milwaukee, WI

#27 Mar 9, 2008
Get a clue. Lets see what you do when someone, probably crazy mad or hopped up on drugs, waves a knife at you. The cops did taser him and that didn't stop him. Next step shoot him. Moral of the story: Don't want to get shot dead by the police, drop the knife.
Jon C

Michigan City, IN

#28 Mar 9, 2008
HEAD SHOTS wrote:
<quoted text>Again where does it say he charged anybody? He threatened could have been he flipped them the bird. Jeez, are you all simple, I mean come on there is supposed to be protocal for shooting someone, not the ubiquitous "he made a furative jesture". Common sense is all I ask! Did this guy put the cops in real danger, or was it just easier to shoot him cause it was too cold to stand around and try and reel him in, in a safe logical way. we live in [email protected] Bushworld now where reality is what the cops say it is andyou sheeple just nod and go along.
Yes, Mr. George W. Bush is our President, and whiny, liberal communists like yourself who are defending criminals need to learn some RESPECT for the leader of our Christian nation!!!!
o snap

Chicago, IL

#29 Mar 9, 2008
Jack wrote:
Every time someone from the HOOD is arrested or is even a victim, this newspaper lists their rap-sheet or police record. Well....where is this guys police record? In fact I've went thru this whole online paper and anyone of color that either was killed or killed somone their record was reveled. On the other hand caucasions were excluded. WHY?
1) You are wrong.
2) His family will not sue because he is white.
3) The Police will not be treated like criminals because the are not Chicago Cops.

“Nothing beats good DNA”

Since: Nov 07

Ogden, UT

#30 Mar 9, 2008
HEAD SHOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to agree with everything you have written.

I do believe this is a straight forward case of speculation. The article was so vague...

My initial thought upon reading this article is that this poor sap was just drunk and acting foolish. There's no given time-line, no stand-off, no reference to negotiation...and no real explanation of lives being at stake. "A call was received regarding an intoxicated man with a knife". What an exciting situation for the RMPD! Too cold out, inexperienced in having to draw their weapons on people, and they chose to "shoot to kill", rather than "shoot to disable and/or disarm". No where did it say that he was tasered first (as referenced a few posts ago). What a waste. This guy probably didn't even know what was happening. That's my take, anyway.
Jon C

Michigan City, IN

#32 Mar 9, 2008
Do Shane wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to agree with everything you have written.
I do believe this is a straight forward case of speculation. The article was so vague...
My initial thought upon reading this article is that this poor sap was just drunk and acting foolish. There's no given time-line, no stand-off, no reference to negotiation...and no real explanation of lives being at stake. "A call was received regarding an intoxicated man with a knife". What an exciting situation for the RMPD! Too cold out, inexperienced in having to draw their weapons on people, and they chose to "shoot to kill", rather than "shoot to disable and/or disarm". No where did it say that he was tasered first (as referenced a few posts ago). What a waste. This guy probably didn't even know what was happening. That's my take, anyway.
I hope you get a knife pulled on you soon, and when you defend yourself, Jessee Jackson Jr. sues you.

Maybe then, you will understand the position that police are in. But...you're obviously a liberal, so I doubt it.

“Nothing beats good DNA”

Since: Nov 07

Ogden, UT

#33 Mar 9, 2008
Jack wrote:
where is this guys police record? In fact I've went thru this whole online paper and anyone of color that either was killed or killed somone their record was reveled. On the other hand caucasions were excluded. WHY?
I'm sorry you have so much time on your hands that you can research all online articles regarding killings.

Maybe next time you post, you can spell CAUCASIAN correctly. You obviously have no respect for yourself, but show a little for others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake in the Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
open House on Saturday Aug 27 Sat [email protected].. 1
News New anti-tax group forms from dollar-bill prope... Aug 23 George Washington 2
Any gay teens down here? (Jan '16) Aug 20 Hornybottom 3
Hillary to pose as the Virgin Mary, pope plays ... Aug 18 Scotty Steiner 1
Condos Complaints Aug 14 Cindy 1
Why is the Kave bar Closed (Mar '13) Aug 11 FriendlyBeever 4
News Sun City sees spike in use of golf carts on str... (Aug '08) Aug 11 FriendlyBeever 11

Lake in the Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake in the Hills Mortgages