6-day old baby killed in dog attack

6-day old baby killed in dog attack

There are 38 comments on the AMNY story from Sep 7, 2008, titled 6-day old baby killed in dog attack. In it, AMNY reports that:

A 6-day-old Hopatcong girl attacked in her crib by the family dog has died from her injuries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AMNY.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anne

Jersey City, NJ

#1 Sep 8, 2008
What is wrong with these people leaving their pets to be alone with their babies?! Don't they know that it doesn't matter how gentle a pet is they are still animals that go with their instinct of killing and hurting. The poor baby had no fighting chance.
nycgirl

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Sep 8, 2008
This is a terrible tragedy, I have to wonder how the parents didn't keep the dog away from the baby. This was very neglient on their behalf. I'm expecting and have 2 cats and they will be no where near the baby's room.
Black Out

Parlin, NJ

#3 Sep 8, 2008
Anne wrote:
What is wrong with these people leaving their pets to be alone with their babies?! Don't they know that it doesn't matter how gentle a pet is they are still animals that go with their instinct of killing and hurting. The poor baby had no fighting chance.
So... what your saying is EVERY animal in this world has the instinct to "kill" and "hurt"? Okay, well... your wrong. Puppies are very playful, and don't know what their doing. This dog was just a young pup! 3 years old. You have to look at it from other ways too. Did you ever think that the dog got in the room without them knowing? Did you ever think that the dog just wanted to see this new life? No. You didn't. Look at it from that point of view,and tell me what you think. Okay? Thanks (:
Jess

New Hyde Park, NY

#4 Sep 8, 2008
I agree with Black Out. I dont think that any parent with a six day old baby would do anything to intentionally put that baby in danger. They probably didnt know that the dog got into the room, let alone the crib where the baby was.
unknown

Tampa, FL

#5 Sep 8, 2008
i know the family and you all disgust me. it was an accident that occurred. something that should not of happen. however, the husky has never had any prior issues. it grabbed ahold of the baby and in a split second it was to late. the baby was in the crib. not out on the floor or anything. maybe you should think about the single mother who this happened to before you make judgements. thank you.
sad

King Of Prussia, PA

#6 Sep 8, 2008
I do not know this mother or family and my heart goes out to them. There is no reason to critise them. Sometimes life sucks unfortunately this time it was them. None of us are free from the possibility of a tragic event.
And yes it is in a dogs instinct to kill but that does not mean they will, some dogs and animals save the lives of humans.
Did you ever see the movie pay it forward well instead of judging why not be kind and look for a way to offer someone a hand None of us can help here and fix what happened but why not find a kind way to help someone else.
anon

Bronx, NY

#7 Sep 8, 2008
I feel very badly for this family, but you cannot leave a dog near a baby under any cicumstances!
It is a horrible horrible thing, my son is 4 months old and if a dog hurt my baby I don't care how much I love the dog that dog is history. It's just a pet, not a human. You do everything right the 9 months you are pregnant only to have your pet kill your baby? It's such a shame people aren't smarter.
Wendy

Trenton, NJ

#8 Sep 8, 2008
Well Anne and ncygirl are just crazy. 1st of all do u really think the parents intended this to happen and 2ndto ncygirl should every family with a dog and a new baby keep them seperate. if you knew anything about dogs that would make things worste. I have had 3 children with a total of 5 dogs during that time and there are step that are taken to welcome the baby into a home w/ dogs. you don't seperate them. Before passing judgement think.
just a thought

Morris Plains, NJ

#9 Sep 9, 2008
As a mother and a nurse I have to say that it is a horrible thing that as happen to this family. I see horrible things everyday at work. FOr anyone to judge this family by saying they are not smart or what were they thinking. Remember that when you have to bring your child in to the hospital because you turned your back for a second and they grapped that hot cup of coffee and burned themselves. Or you weren't looking and slammed their fingers in the car door, or you leave your child with a sitter and they throw them across the room. Is that your fault? Or are we just humans trying to protect or children as best we can but sometimes things in life happen. And no one is to blame!! That precious life brought something to everyone who was blessed to know that life. So pray for the family that they will have the strength to get through this and stop the bitterness and be a better person.
nycgirl

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Sep 9, 2008
Animals are exactly that animals who don't know any better which is why you have to watch them b/c their instinct can kick in at any time. You people need to take a chill pill and relax no one is condemning anyone on here it's a public message board where people voice their opinions. I voiced my opinion and yet you have right to judge me for my beliefts GET REAL! I did say it was a terrible tragedy and I feel very bad for the family.
Alisa-NY

Auburndale, MA

#11 Sep 9, 2008
I am 3 months pregnant. I have a 7 month old large size puppy who is very hyper but very loving. After hearing this incident, I am scared. I don't think the puppy would ever hurt an infant on purpose but a story like this gets you thinking. My heart goes out to the family.
Pah831

Kenilworth, NJ

#12 Sep 9, 2008
This is the article that appeared in the local paper. It was clearly an accident and those of you on this blog that are criticizing the parents should first find out the facts before passing judgment. The baby was in the crib, not unattended someplace in the house. Read the article and be informed....

"The dog attack that killed a 6-day-old infant in her Williams Trail home Saturday has been ruled accidental and charges are unlikely, authorities said.

Parents of the newborn, Alexis Hennessy, told police the family dog, a husky named Shadow, had bitten their baby in her crib. The baby was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

According to the preliminary investigation, the father of the baby was outside, and the mother was not in the room "at the exact time of the incident," Sussex County Prosecutor David Weaver said.

Weaver declined to comment on the nature of the baby's fatal injuries, pending a full autopsy report.

A neighbor, Evan Schwartz, said he heard a woman screaming Saturday afternoon and asked his girlfriend if she heard it, too. The screaming resumed two minutes later, and he could hear sirens in the neighborhood, he said.

The next day, as Schwartz walked his own dog, a neighbor from across the street told him what happened.

The Hennessy family's husky will be monitored, in quarantine, for at least 10 days, borough Health Officer Phil Morlock said.

"We'd be concerned the dog has some kind of disease or something that might have caused it to act strangely," he said.

The owner or the prosecutor's office will decide what to do with the dog once the monitoring period has elapsed, Morlock said.

About 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year, of which 800,000 require medical treatment, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Nationwide, dog bites typically cause 18 to 30 fatalities each year and affect two distinct age groups, said Dr. Richard Polsky, a certified applied animal behaviorist in Los Angeles.

"It's the extremes," he said. "It's elderly people who can't defend themselves or kids who can't defend themselves."

Polsky said he had not heard about the Hopatcong incident before Monday, but could comment on his general experience as a forensic expert who has testified in dog-bite cases.

Sometimes, infants makes noises that mimic the sounds of prey-like animals, such as squirrels and rodents, he said.

"(Dogs) do respond to these high-pitch shrill sounds," Polsky said.

There are countless other reasons for a dog to approach an infant, and every incident is different, he said.

"You have to look at both sides of the equation -- what the dog is like and what was going on in the environment," he said. "Usually everything comes together in a perfect storm to cause a spat of aggression."
pat Toms River

Auburn Hills, MI

#13 Sep 9, 2008
I heard that this mother of the baby is so distraught that she attempted suicide today. you tell me if this is a mother who did not LOVE her baby with all her heart.This was a horrific ACCIDENT and no one is to blame. have a heart and pray for this family to recover from this tragity.GOD BLESS this family.
Nicole

United States

#14 Sep 9, 2008
nycgirl wrote:
This is a terrible tragedy, I have to wonder how the parents didn't keep the dog away from the baby. This was very neglient on their behalf. I'm expecting and have 2 cats and they will be no where near the baby's room.
This is a great idea for new parents! Since I have 2 cats & 2 dogs, I replaced the nursery door with a screen door. Now, when the baby is in her crib, I can hear her, see her and not worry that one of my pets might access her crib.
grbr504

West New York, NJ

#15 Sep 9, 2008
NYCGIRL - you are entitled to your opinion, but why judge these people without knowing the details of the story. You obviously don't feel bad enough for the family to take a step back and see that there is much more to this story than any of US will ever know.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been touched by this terrible tradgedy.
nycgirl wrote:
Animals are exactly that animals who don't know any better which is why you have to watch them b/c their instinct can kick in at any time. You people need to take a chill pill and relax no one is condemning anyone on here it's a public message board where people voice their opinions. I voiced my opinion and yet you have right to judge me for my beliefts GET REAL! I did say it was a terrible tragedy and I feel very bad for the family.
Baby Gs Mom

Caldwell, NJ

#16 Sep 10, 2008
nycgirl wrote:
I have 2 cats and when we brought our baby home, we installed a screen door on our babies bedroom doorframe. This way we could keep the cats out when the baby was an infant, but yet still see into the room. It was best idea ever. The screen door cost under $20 at Home Depot.
Mitymort

East Orange, NJ

#17 Sep 10, 2008
I have had dogs all of my life, and though I never had a problem. The paper stated that the parents left the child alone for a split second. I have had children and maybee they were embarassed to say that they lost track of time and left the baby for several minutes. The baby may have been fussing and the dog may have just wanted to carry the baby to the parents? After reading the article, is seems that there is a piece of this puzzle missing. No one is to blame here! The dog may have just been following it's natural instincts and not intentionally plan to maul the child.
Oprah Obama

Parlin, NJ

#18 Sep 10, 2008
Great idea!!!!!!!
Baby Gs Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 2 cats and when we brought our baby home, we installed a screen door on our babies bedroom doorframe. This way we could keep the cats out when the baby was an infant, but yet still see into the room. It was best idea ever. The screen door cost under $20 at Home Depot.
Lyse

Wayne, NJ

#19 Sep 10, 2008
nycgirl wrote:
I agree, animals are very unpredictable and you MUST NEVER leave an animal alone with a new born, the animals react in ways we cannot predict when the babies cry.
Lyse

Wayne, NJ

#20 Sep 10, 2008
I would never leave a newborn with an animal of any kind, be it parrot, cat, dog, but ESPECIALLY cat and dog. Animals are so unpredictable, regardless of history, when it comes to having a newborn in the house. The crying stimulates certain reactions in their brains that they cannot control, and even if they've been good around adults and kids all their lives, NEVER leave an animal with an infant!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Hopatcong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for the gentleman in Sparta with a whee... Oct 23 neilboyle7 1
News Pastor apologizes after Hopatcong starvation case (Sep '06) Sep '17 Norbert of Norview 2
News Heroin 'surge' worries Vernon (May '10) Aug '17 The wacher 144
News Jury awards Hamburg ex-cop $1.4 million in lawsuit Jul '17 Insider57 1
News Witness: Hamburg officer was slapped by superior Jun '17 Lady_K1958 2
Sales of White Lake Water Jun '17 Fred Hohmann 1
News Clients detail problems with Randolph home desi... (Nov '06) Dec '16 Main 6

Lake Hopatcong Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Hopatcong Mortgages