Highland Park doctor held in fatal ov...

Highland Park doctor held in fatal overdoses of 3 men

There are 33 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 10, 2008, titled Highland Park doctor held in fatal overdoses of 3 men. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An orthopedic surgeon from Highland Park was arrested Wednesday, accused of overprescribing painkillers that contributed to the fatal overdoses of three men, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
union

Aurora, IL

#1 Apr 11, 2008
[quote]Authorities became suspicious of Kane in May 2005, when several pharmacies in the area reported that the doctor had written unusually large prescriptions of painkillers, said Cmdr. Gerald Cameron, a Highland Park police spokesman.[/quote]

is this before or after the realized how much money the were getting off this.......damn pharm companies......stupidity at it's worse......
Done

United States

#2 Apr 11, 2008
O.K the doc was wrong,but he didn't put those pills in thier mouth! This world always blames someone else. Start blaming the right people for what they did. They were not kids !!!!!!
Nicholas

San Francisco, CA

#3 Apr 11, 2008
Done wrote:
O.K the doc was wrong,but he didn't put those pills in thier mouth! This world always blames someone else. Start blaming the right people for what they did. They were not kids !!!!!!
OK, the Doc was wrong? A prescription that large is not wrong -- it is criminal. He is a drug dealer no different from some GD on a corner.
HGH

United States

#4 Apr 11, 2008
um, I'm not going to a 75 year old doctor...I don't care if it's for free...
annjilly

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 11, 2008
What's with Highland Park? Their doctors? Their attorneys? Is there something secret going on up tere? Levine? Rezko? Loren? doctors?
holla

United States

#6 Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, 540 tabs of oxy in a 5 day period to one customer, would make you a drug dealer.
A Laz

Lincolnshire, IL

#8 Apr 11, 2008
I was so sad to read this because my family went to Dr. Kane for years, my husband started seeing him in 1962 or 1963 with his first broken collarbone. He was always sweet and he NEVER prescribed any pills to us even after my husbands back surgery, which Dr. Kane performed. He told him if he can get by with Advil or Tylenol then do that.
There are hundreds if not thousands of doctors who prescribe pain meds to people who shouldn't be getting these meds. They manipulate the system and go from doctor to doctor to get their pills.
Like someone else said, the people who overdosed took the pills.
Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

#9 Apr 11, 2008
union wrote:
[quote]Authorities became suspicious of Kane in May 2005, when several pharmacies in the area reported that the doctor had written unusually large prescriptions of painkillers, said Cmdr. Gerald Cameron, a Highland Park police spokesman.[/quote]
is this before or after the realized how much money the were getting off this.......damn pharm companies......stupidity at it's worse......
Hmmm.. blaming the makers of pharmecuticals (which, by the way, help millions of people) for some idiot over prescribing and some other idiots for OD'ing? Man, I think you are taking that one way to far.

And it sin't profit motive either -- most painkillers are pretty cheap. It's antibiotics that cost a bunch.
pst patient of Kane

Round Lake, IL

#11 Apr 11, 2008
Hi I saw dr kane since I was 8 years old when I first dislocated my knee. As a child he never gave me any drugs. I am now 38 years old. He did not want to preform reconstructive surgery on my knee as a child so I wen thru years of my knee dislocating. Finally in 1997 I dislocated and broke my knee cap, even then he was very stingy on the meds he gave me. I had surgery but he never sent me to rehab. It seemed the older he got the less he should have been practicing. Don't get me wrong he was a wonderful doctor to me and my family. My father had a horriable accident in 1982, Dr Kane and Dr Cohen had to rebuild my fathers body. He broke everything except his neck and back. After years my father was in major pain due to his arthris and no cartlage in the leg. Dr Kanes office stopped per vicodin to him because they were concerned. My father was not a drug addict he was in sever pain. But with other over the counter drugs he was able to get thru the worst of it. My father was able to walk again with limp due to a heal fracture which never fully heals.
In other words when Dr Kane was younger I felt he made better decisions. The older some doctors get they don't realize that that their veiws change. Please get old and tired. Their should be a cap on how long a doctor can practice before he MUST retire. I trusted Kane with every fiber of my bones. He was once the best Othopedic on the NS. He is no longer that doctor. I wish him luck and I hope he does not go to jail for killing those people. But he should have stopped practicing back in 1990.
A Laz

Lincolnshire, IL

#13 Apr 11, 2008
karen wrote:
Ya know he was selling these for a profit! What a POS!
Karen, are you on drugs? Dr. Kane did not sell the drugs to anyone, he just prescribed them to drug addicts.
Laughing All the Way

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 11, 2008
OMG! He was my husband's family's bone doc for years when we lived in Deerfield and Highland Park. All those people whose deaths he contributed to, and my mother in law is still alive! Why didn't he prescribe 500 pills in 5 days for her, we would not have pressed charges?
Infinitus

Puebla, Mexico

#20 Apr 11, 2008
Patient of Kane: See what I mean about old age ?
They start losing their memory and on a whim they change their views and are mentally unstable.
Think about senator McCain who is about the same age of doctor Kane.
If elected, he capriciously will change his mind several times before making the wrong ( yes, not right ) decision on governmental policies.
He has already that old people smell.
On his last visit for a medical check out and physical examination, he was told by his doctor that he's already in a state of putrefaction.
Julie

Akron, OH

#22 Apr 11, 2008
What pharmacy fills a prescription for five hundred something oxycontin? Are they being charged? The doc had to be making a ton of money for those oxys & vicadins. You tell two friends, they tell two friends, etc., etc.,...All the dead about the same age. HMMMMMMMMMMMM
angry

United States

#25 Apr 11, 2008
im sorry. he was wrong, the pharmacy was wrong. he was known as a "great guy" yeah, that was constantly falling asleep - was he on them too?
old sarge

Largo, FL

#29 Apr 11, 2008
"Authories were aware... Since 2005?" HELLO? Anybody asleep at the wheel?
Infinitus

Puebla, Mexico

#30 Apr 11, 2008
Hey Yep:
First, I am not an illegal alien, because I am not living in your country and asking nothing from it.
I can post anywhere I wish. You do not own this space though you can post like anybody else.
If you do not like ohter people's comments, stay out of this forum.
TRUTH HURTS: and you'll probably are an Old Timer wrinting from a nursing
home.
eje

Aliso Viejo, CA

#32 Apr 11, 2008
Laughing All the Way wrote:
OMG! He was my husband's family's bone doc for years when we lived in Deerfield and Highland Park. All those people whose deaths he contributed to, and my mother in law is still alive! Why didn't he prescribe 500 pills in 5 days for her, we would not have pressed charges?
LOL! ur funny. at least someone has a sense of humor for once here.
Brian

Tinley Park, IL

#33 Apr 11, 2008
Done wrote:
Are you familiar with narcotic addiction? The way a prescribing physician (and a filling pharmacist) should be? When someone is even remotely close to this level of intake, they can't stop or cut back without professional help. Choice doesn't enter into it when their body starts cramping and they start hallucinating. They will take every pill they are prescribed at a faster and faster rate until they are de-toxed or dead.

There is absolutely no theraputic use for OC at this level, they're just feeding the addiction and the doctor and pharmacist know it. Unfortunately, doctors like this would rather just keep upping the dosage than admit what they've done and have their patients admitted for a safe, regulated detox.
ELLEN KIRSCH

Lincolnshire, IL

#35 Apr 12, 2008
HEAD SHOTS for scum wrote:
Hillbilly herion stikes again. Yes, he overprescribed, but the dope fiends are the ones who shoved the pills in their own holes. At 75 what are they really going to do to him except try to steal his money via attorneys fees, fines, probation reports, etc. The state( ie. the police, and the courts) don't care about the junkies who died, they care about getting more revenue into the system, dam the victims.
I AGREE WITH YOU,
HOWEVER I WENT TO DR. KANE FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS.
ALSO I HAVE LUPUS SO MY BONES ARE MUSH BECAUSE OF THE PREDISONE I HAVE TO TAKE.
DR. KANE TOOK CARE OF ME FREQUINTLY AS I BROKE NEARLY EVERY BONE IN MY BODY.
HE NEVER GAVE ME OXYCOTIN, JUST MEDICINE TO HELP ME DEAL WITH THE PAIN, AND IT WAS MONITERED BY HIM.
HOWEVER I HAD A FRIEND WHO CONSTANTLY ALTERED HIS PERSCRIPTIONS TO GIVE HERSELF A LOT MORE.
SHE FINNALY GOT CAUGHT A CVS.
WHOOSE TO SAY THEESE PEOPLE DIDN"T CHANGE THEIR PERSCRIPTION, AND WHAT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THEESE SO CALLED PHARMACIES.
IF IT LOOK SUSPUCIOUS WHY DID THEY EVEN FILL IT?
IT WAS PROBALY ALTERED BY THEM TOO.
I CANT BELIEVE THAT DR. KANE DID THIS.
AGT

Thornhill, Canada

#36 Apr 12, 2008
Done wrote:
"Done", yes the patients put the pills in their mouth but you forget that doctors are the ones that should care for you and do no harm and are in a position of power and of course know or should know better. You obviously do not understand addiction and your ideas are purely based on myths, bias and stigma against those who have become addicted to these prescribed drugs. Shame on this doctor and also on the pharmaceutical companies who are driven by sheer profit...greed. Yes, the doctor is to blame --furthermore do you know that that oxycodone is from the same chemical family as heroin.....is it not odd that the public is never told this information by doctors or pharmacists or by the Drug Companies.
So get your facts straight....please.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Record-breaking temperatures Saturday draw Chic... 22 hr A real man not a ... 2
Denise Mountas (Feb '12) Wed another victom 13
News Malls debate teen policies after fights Tue John Caliendo 5
News What Are The Limits On Backyard Livestock In Ch... Feb 21 USA-1 2
News Chicagoa s Navy Pier Ferris wheel free on Valen... Feb 16 Trump is the man 1
News Battle Of The Boycotts In Waukegan, Illinois (Jul '07) Feb 15 Daniel 8
News Chicago area pastor asks The President to put s... Feb 15 lol 2

Lake Forest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lake Forest Mortgages