Police Crack Down On Cyclists Violati...

Police Crack Down On Cyclists Violating Traffic Rules

There are 42 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Aug 28, 2008, titled Police Crack Down On Cyclists Violating Traffic Rules. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

Drivers aren't the only people getting traffic tickets at White Rock Lake -- Dallas police are now cracking down on cyclists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Spandex Wennie

Wilmer, TX

#1 Aug 28, 2008
It's about time they enforced the law.
tbone

United States

#3 Aug 28, 2008
just another attempt to make money with safety as the distraction.

Since: Jun 08

San Angelo, TX

#4 Aug 28, 2008
My question is about the helmet bit. If motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets, how do they expect a bicyclist to wear one?
mike

United States

#5 Aug 28, 2008
Its about time! They are treated like slow vechiles so they should be punished when not obeying traffic laws!
Donna in Dallas

Dallas, TX

#6 Aug 28, 2008
GOOD!

“Media Lies to public.. ”

Since: Jul 08

Dallas

#7 Aug 28, 2008
I love cycling. I enjoy my own bike very much, however if I am going fifteen under the speed limit in my car blocking traffic a caop will pull me over. The laws for the road are for everyone who uses the road.
Santee

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Aug 28, 2008
The law is the LAW. Ticket these LAW Breakers.
They must be dealt with, now. We must nip this disrespect for our laws in the bud. With the Bush-Cheney oil plan more and more hard working citizens will be riding bikes to work, shopping or what ever. Our Police must be tasked with keeping our streets safe.
At $$,$$$ a year for a Police Officer to ride a bike to enforce bike safety is certainly a great use of our tax dollars. This is surely a great effort from our Republican in Texas State government, right up there with Toll Roads and Privatization.
Please keep Texas Great Vote Republican
Bob

Plano, TX

#9 Aug 28, 2008
I commute on my bike from Home->DART->DART-Work. I agree that stop signs are for everyone. Same with the red hand at a cross walk. I wear my helmet not because it is the law, but because I value my skull.

A plea to those who drive cars. If you see a bike in the right lane as close to the curb as possible, please give em some room. It is not a fun game to see how close you can get to us when you pass.

I am not aware of ANY road in the Dallas that has a designated bike lane.
Bob

Plano, TX

#10 Aug 28, 2008
I assume that those with the harsh comments have never broke the law. Speeding, ran a red light, forgot to signal a turn, Jay walked, etc...

The next time you are stopped for speeding I would hope you would look the cop in the eye and say "Ticket me I am a law breaker."
HWC

Grand Prairie, TX

#11 Aug 28, 2008
Who cares about them running stop signs? The ones that need to be ticketed/run over are the idiots that get on major roads and back up traffic for miles. These morons should be considered targets so the gene pool can be drained.
Mik

Dallas, TX

#12 Aug 28, 2008
HWC - Is that a terroristic threat you are making in a public forum?
Paul

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Aug 28, 2008
HWC- is all that negativity because you never learned how to ride a bike?
I'd like to request HWC's license be taken away, apparently he's a threat to anyone on two wheels and since that includes my kids

“Media Lies to public.. ”

Since: Jul 08

Dallas

#14 Aug 28, 2008
Paul wrote:
I'd like to request HWC's license be taken away, apparently he's a threat to anyone on two wheels and since that includes my kids
Don't get me wrong I think HWC is a moron, but what are your children doing riding in the major streets HWC is talking about?
HWC

Grand Prairie, TX

#15 Aug 28, 2008
Paul wrote:
How about you keep your snot noses off the major streets and it wont be a problem moron. Try acting like a parent and quit expecting everyone else to watch for your brats.

Since: Jun 08

San Angelo, TX

#16 Aug 28, 2008
HWC wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you keep your snot noses off the major streets and it wont be a problem moron. Try acting like a parent and quit expecting everyone else to watch for your brats.
According the traffic laws, bicyclists have as much right to ride in the street as cars. The only exception is on freeways.
Just Me

United States

#17 Aug 28, 2008
I think the crack down is good, but I have to come back to the point of, with all this ticket writing going on it sure points out to the public that the municipalities are out of money. Don't hide behind the excuse "it's for your safety" when this should have been your goal all along, now "safety" is becoming more prevalent when there is not any money. Funny how safety conscious we are when the money runs. So if we are cracking down on safety, why is it that the police are not watching the local businesses for crime and standing behind trees for a helmet or stop sign violation, sorry forgot, more money and less work for the simple violations.
tmcg

Fort Worth, TX

#18 Aug 28, 2008
It is about time. SOME cyclists think they have the rights of a pedestrian, AND as a car. If you look in the Driver's Ed book, the law says they should be treated as cars...therefore those stop signs DO apply to them.
buddy

United States

#19 Aug 28, 2008
truth be known, the dallas police feel a lot safer righting traffic tickets than they do chaseing criminals
Adonna

Raleigh, NC

#20 Aug 28, 2008
Since when do you have to wear a helmet for bike riding?
Good grief

Royston, GA

#21 Aug 28, 2008
Ya know, my motorcycle has the same rights as a vehicle with 4+ wheels, but even I know not to use certain roads or highways when traffic is heavy or conditions make it unsafe. Fact is, I'm at a disadvantage and need to be deligent.

Bicycle riders need to take the same attitude. Unless you can keep up or stay on the side safely, use some common sense and take another route. Quit expecting others to accomodate you in places never intended/designed for bicycles.

It'd be great if we had better roads to accomodate bicycle and auto traffic safely. I don't know how effective it is to ticket bike riders, but if its the law, then so be it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Dallas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Highland Village Hacker Apr 15 Beth Cowan 1
Pros & Cons of Texas Living (Sep '06) Apr 13 Reegz 127
dangerous church in lewisville (Jun '16) Mar '17 Scam police 2
Kristi sue kuhn Mar '17 Holly Golightly 1
Looking for Ramona used to date Sammy Reyes ??? Mar '17 Holly Golightly 1
Review: Dalrock Transport LLC (Jun '14) Mar '17 Hoya labs 9
News What We Learn in School (May '06) Feb '17 Nayder32876 2

Lake Dallas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance