'Power' move by male students ruffles U. of C.

A group of University of Chicago students think it's time the campus focused more on its men. Full Story
First Prev
of 86
Next Last
Nick

Mundelein, IL

#1 May 27, 2009
I dont see a problem with it.

If minority groups can have their own "clubs" and woman can do the same along with religious groups then why not men?
Mr Smithers

Chicago, IL

#2 May 27, 2009
First item on their agenda should be men's health. So much money is raised for breast cancer awareness. Great, but men have a shorter life expectency, so that is where the problem is. Sure, some of the difference includes dieing in wars, taking stupid risks and such, but I bet some of it has to do with the stress and burden of working longer hours.

The second item should be verifying the asccuracy of the so-called "pay gap". I have never seen it indexed to total hours worked.

Topics like these is why there needs to be advocacy.
Hmmmmm

Hoffman Estates, IL

#3 May 27, 2009
Turnabout is fair play.
Stu

North Chicago, IL

#4 May 27, 2009
It's about time.
Soon to be unemployed

Butte City, CA

#5 May 27, 2009
"at a time when the recessionary ax has fallen especially hard on men. In February, the national unemployment rate for men was 8.8 percent, compared with 7.3 percent for women."
This may be true perhaps because men typically make more than women in similar jobs and companies justify cutting men for cheaper labor who can do the same work, also the industries hardest hit by this depression (housing, building, finance, banking) usually have more men working in those fields. Women are not to blame for this....it's greed and exploitation of who/what we can! It's called the Great American Capitalistic way!
Mom

Chicago, IL

#6 May 27, 2009
Yeah women may earn more degrees, but they still make LESS money for the same position.
Sounds like insecure men...
I agree

United States

#7 May 27, 2009
I think this is a great idea. There is so much men & women bashing, this sounds like this is a good thing to break it off. I hope this group will help bridge the gap between men and women and learn to accept that we are both great.
Joe

Chicago, IL

#9 May 27, 2009
Stu wrote:
It's about time.
Yeah, we men have been dominant over women throughout history, in many cases treating them as property, with the "erosion" of our dominance coming only in the last 100 years or so (who on earth decided they should vote?), so it's long past time we reclaimed our rightful position, correct? Let me know when U of C schedules its first truss burning ceremony.
Union Tom

New York, NY

#10 May 27, 2009
The last 4 supervisors I've had from retail to media to banking have been women. I still don't understand all of the "Women at Work" seminars and the like when women arrived 20 years ago. Let's quit playing the sex card and choose the right person for the job, regardless of sex.
Mom

Chicago, IL

#11 May 27, 2009
Mr. Smithers, first, try to improve your spelling! You won't get too far otherwise.
Turnabout? We can't even elect a female president. Where is the equality?
Dino

New York, NY

#13 May 27, 2009
Good news. Good for them!!!
common sense

Naperville, IL

#14 May 27, 2009
the problem is in the name...the words Men combined with Power make people uneasy, not the concept
JahLove63

Butte City, CA

#15 May 27, 2009
Mr. Smithers, I would have to disagree with you. I think there's been much more research and action for men's health than there are for womens. Where's the priority when there's several little pills on the market so a man can get a hard on! All you poor old white men (or any other color for that matter), should be ashamed of yourselves. You've ruled the world for far too long, now you cry fowl! Booo, hooey!
Nick

Mundelein, IL

#16 May 27, 2009
Soon to be unemployed wrote:
"at a time when the recessionary ax has fallen especially hard on men. In February, the national unemployment rate for men was 8.8 percent, compared with 7.3 percent for women."
This may be true perhaps because men typically make more than women in similar jobs and companies justify cutting men for cheaper labor who can do the same work, also the industries hardest hit by this depression (housing, building, finance, banking) usually have more men working in those fields. Women are not to blame for this....it's greed and exploitation of who/what we can! It's called the Great American Capitalistic way!
Or maybe its just easier to fire a white male with out having a discrimination lawsuit immediately filed?
Ann

Chicago, IL

#18 May 27, 2009
Why not? Overall, men do have it better than women in many areas, but they also face a lot of challenges that related to male roles in society.

Definitely the role of men is in transition and if a group would help men figure out how to live in a world that's different from their fathers' world, go for it.

Sure, there's the possibility that it would be a "feminism is a monolithic evil that's out to destroy men and their self-worth," but to be fair, some "feminist" groups consider male power to be a monolithic evil that's out to destroy men. Note to wanna-be flamers: The word "some" is in there for a reason.
GiP

Redford, MI

#19 May 27, 2009
Change it to GiP, Gays in Power and nobody would dare challenge it for fear of being verbally assaulted and being labeled a homophobe by the militant gays.
OppressedGuy

Chicago, IL

#20 May 27, 2009
Makes perfect sense to me. Therefore, it will be criticized as racist, sexist and every other form of ist. That's the battle cry of the oppressors in the new millenium.
Realist

Oak Lawn, IL

#22 May 27, 2009
Any woman who now claims discrimination... is a woman!
Fact

Palatine, IL

#23 May 27, 2009
I see their point, but in the work force, women still get less pay for the same work.
jac holtzman

Chicago, IL

#24 May 27, 2009
Ah, to be young and unemployed, still suckling at the WASPish parental teet and dreaming up ways to offend and be offended.

I just can not envision a 21 year old Chinese student at Shenzhen University taking a break from his studies, full time job and related pursuits to get high and form a fun club for dudes to complain of life's inequities. The U of C bad boys are the rotten cream of the crop of today's Millenium Generation. They'll make poor laborers for their Chinese overlords.

JH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 86
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walgreen: Former CFO shouldn't get $3.2 million... 1 hr wag1234 2
Man is found guilty of murdering his girlfriend... Thu Sailor Draco 5
Review: A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc. Mar 3 Kevin Delstopo 1
Adoptee search for a nephew -- a shot in the dark Mar 1 Roberta Hill 1
Get the Best Gas Fireplace Installation Service... (Nov '13) Oct '14 Jerry Boggs 2
The best free onli ne dating website! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Catherina Sopko 1
Two Teens Cited for Underage Drinking (Apr '13) Sep '13 tool 20
Lake Bluff Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lake Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:16 am PST

NBC Sports10:16AM
Bears will get fifth-round pick for Brandon Marshall
Bleacher Report11:06 AM
After Marshall Trade, Bears Must Make Decision on Cutler
NFL12:23 PM
New York Jets expected to release Percy Harvin
Bleacher Report12:34 PM
Bears Re-Sign QB Jimmy Clausen
Yahoo! Sports 4:05 PM
Brandon Marshall, is that the linebacker or the receiver?