A lost jewel of golf

Duffers and history buffs alike will get to follow in the footsteps of Bobby Jones and Bob Hope this weekend as they retrace a vanished golf course considered one of the best in the country in its day. Full Story
Fred

United States

#1 Jun 26, 2009
please spare me this bit of north shore snobbery
Pullitzer Prize

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Jun 26, 2009
This is the most poorly constructed article I have ever read. Is the course gone? When did they redevelop it? What's there now? What do you get for $70? Come on Mr. Zell. I know you can't afford the ink but at least allow for the full story on line.
Bob

Vernon Hills, IL

#3 Jun 26, 2009
Pullitzer Prize wrote:
This is the most poorly constructed article I have ever read. Is the course gone? When did they redevelop it? What's there now? What do you get for $70? Come on Mr. Zell. I know you can't afford the ink but at least allow for the full story on line.
The first paragraph answers half your questions. Learn to read.
Sara

North Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 26, 2009
Fred wrote:
Mr. Lasker built his own course because he was the victim of snobbery.
Chicago Boy living in MN

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jun 26, 2009
Super article, great history lesson. Mr. Lasker took the high road, too bad several of the post writers didn't
Mike

Mishawaka, IN

#7 Jun 26, 2009
Luckily they got all the info in about the $70 price tag...are you kidding me?$70 to look at 10 golf holes that have been covered up by housing developments?
Call me cockroach

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 26, 2009
Great piece, forget prior posts. A nice bit of buried history coming back to life, at least part of the way.
momcool23

Raleigh, NC

#9 Jun 26, 2009
How cool to find out what was on your property before your house was built. Kudos to the students who mapped out the golf course. Great history lesson.

“Recovering Chocoholic”

Since: Jan 09

Home

#10 Jun 26, 2009
wow wrote:
Too bad golf is about as exciting as watching a plant grow. Yawn.....
And no I didn't read the article, and I don't care what you think about that either.
You must care about something, otherwise why'd you bother posting that you don't care?
john sab

New Lenox, IL

#11 Jun 26, 2009
wow what a cool article!! how awesome does a guy have to be to have his own championship golf course, with a cocktail house!!!!!!!!

“ChiliMac joins Topix!”

Since: Sep 08

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 26, 2009
Please troll somewhere else.
Fred wrote:
Republican

Georgetown, TX

#13 Jun 26, 2009
Great course and story,It is unfortunate that some folks who are lower and middle class dont understand or realize the relevancy of this find. As far as 70 dollars for the tour? Nobody put a gun to there head to pay up.
Dick Gozinya

Buffalo Grove, IL

#14 Jun 26, 2009
wow wrote:
Too bad golf is about as exciting as watching a plant grow. Yawn.....
And no I didn't read the article, and I don't care what you think about that either.
If you had one more wit, you'd be a half-wit.
I Liked the Article

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 26, 2009
momcool23 wrote:
How cool to find out what was on your property before your house was built. Kudos to the students who mapped out the golf course. Great history lesson.
Must have been a thrill to realize you could still see identifiable features from the "lost" course hiding in plain sight in the satellite images.
r m kraus

Akron, OH

#17 Jun 26, 2009
I wish to complement the 30 Lake Forest College students and Mr Robert Channick for a very, very fine effort and story about Albert Lasker's golf course. Many persons may consider this a worthless effort, but I do not. Thanks

Robert M Kraus
Akron Ohio

Since: Oct 08

Cleveland, OH

#18 Jun 26, 2009
I grew up on West Fork, which we were always told was a fairway on the back nine. The old house and some of the other surviving buildings are really cool.
annoyed

Ventura, CA

#19 Jun 26, 2009
Fascinating revelation of a small slice of area history. I'm impressed with the interest and research into this history. There are a few interesting stories here, beyond the core story of a golf course. Congratulations to those involved. (Ignore the thoughtless posts. Keep up the good work.)

Since: Mar 09

Oakland, CA

#20 Jun 28, 2009
Isn't it ironic that Mr. Lasker had to build his own course because the Lake Forest folks wouldn't let him play because he was Jewish but now the Lake Forest folks are making money off of him....
Citizen

Plano, TX

#21 Jun 29, 2009
As a wishful suggestion, it would be splendid to have a walking tour organized (versus bus) at a reduced rate. In a tough economy, a walking tour would allow broader exposure to this hidden jewel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lake Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Attorney says rap star refuses to return to Ill... Oct 22 Thomas B 1
telenetsystems.us Oct 22 Amy 1
www.telenetsystems.us Oct 22 Tim Rapagolia 2
Tires Plus at Fountain Square on 43 Oct 22 William C 2
Judge jay ukena (Mar '13) Oct 21 Susanne 151
Pony rides/ Pumpkins and Hayrides OH MY! Oct 19 Josh 4
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) Oct 17 Democratic Tyrants 7,567
Lake Bluff Dating
Find my Match

Lake Bluff Jobs

Lake Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lake Bluff News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lake Bluff

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]