Help wanted for seasonal work

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Forced to replace 130 seasonal workers who could not get visas, Frank Mariani has held weekly job fairs this spring to try to find new hires for his Lake Bluff landscaping business.
Comments
1 - 20 of 37 Comments Last updated May 15, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
You reap what you sow

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

I'm sure these were the same people wanting to kick out all the "immigrants!" Let's see how many hands in the air wanting these under paid jobs!!!!!
Big Tuna

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

I'm having a hard time seeing the down side to this story. Fewer landscapers means less lawnmowers running at 7 a.m. and trailers blocking my driveway.

No carnivals saves me a couple hundred on the villiage festival and another two hundred on the county fair. With the high cost of gas the ice cream truck hasn't been around yet either. Now if the mosquitos don't show up it will be a great summer!
kittykate

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

finally, now i can get a job! where do i sign up
chgofan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Good. Hire Americans and pay them a decent wage. If people can afford a lawn service ,they can also pay for it!
Not buying it

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

The Hispanic legislators are holding these visas hostage while they try to cram through immigration "reform" (ie: amnesty) for the millions of illegal aliens here.
There is such a disconnect w/ the open border folks - they call a legal visa system "slavery" (even though the employers have to pay a real wage and are responsible for their employees) while not seeing that it is ILLEGAL entrants who drive down wages and put up with unsafe (and illegal) working conditions.
I'd gladly take 130,000 visa'd workers and get rid of 12 MILLION illegals.
Not buying it

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

You reap what you sow wrote:
I'm sure these were the same people wanting to kick out all the "immigrants!" Let's see how many hands in the air wanting these under paid jobs!!!!!
Actually, "reaper" most people LIKE immigrants - the ones who come here w/ visas and all. The "anti-immigrant" crowd is actualy "anti - ILLEGAL immigrant". Somehow the illegal part gets lost in the Tribune... maybe it's a space issue, or a shortage of ink.
Enough already

Matteson, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

So, Guitterrez still can't get the concept of "illegal". We'll never get this thing fixed with a congressional mentality like that. And he loves to put the pressure on.
Ethically and politically they are two different issues. Those who are invited to come here should be allowed to do so, based on screening for health, criminal background, sponsorship, and self-sufficiency.
Those who are here illegally must be sent home without benefits or consideration. How else can we deter the flow of the world's needy?
But Luis is selling the same poison as the other activists. All for one and one for all. You're a racist if you disagree with them.
THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT ISSUES AND SHOULD REMAIN SO IN THE EYES OF THE LAW!
blitherer

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Oh, Boo-Hoo-Hoo, we can't find anybody to work so cheap while our record profits keep rolling in. Meanwhile the middle class is strapped paying for all the damages your illegal aliens are doing to this country.
Bull

New Lenox, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

A mention of the wages that were paid to these workers would have given this article some perspective.

Hundreds of breakfast tacos as a job benefit? How magnanimous!! How about a livable wage? I'll buy my own breakfast.
Summer Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

look like the summwer help issue for the kids from hign school and college now have jobs if it's not to hard for them.
Sheila

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Exactly. If you are too lazy to cut your own grass, you can afford to pay workers a decent wage. So you won't be able to buy a new Mercedes every year. Otherwise, do it yourself.
Whitey

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

"Believe me, it's so much cheaper to hire an American worker ... but we are having a hard time," said Jeff Blomsness, president of All-Star Amusements in South Barrington. "If I offered you a job to work at the carnival, and it's 50, 60 hours a week, and you work at night, and if it's raining you have to work, I guarantee you wouldn't want this job."

You left out 3.50 per hour- no benefits and highly dangerous conditions.
bus only lanes

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Sheila, wages are usually in line with the level of skill and responsibility involved in doing a particular job. If all the illegals go away, landscaping isn't going to suddenly pay $15/hour. The only reason people are paying someone else to do it is because its cheap.
Hans

Vernon Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

bus only lanes wrote:
Sheila, wages are usually in line with the level of skill and responsibility involved in doing a particular job. If all the illegals go away, landscaping isn't going to suddenly pay $15/hour. The only reason people are paying someone else to do it is because its cheap.
No, wages are in line with supply. Prices are based on supply and demand, not skill and responsibility. Landscaping will pay whatever homeowners and business are willing to pay for the service. There may be fewer people buying landscaping services but when these poor companies start turning down jobs, people that really want the service will offer more money.

This is a non issue being raised by the pro-illegal crowd. They are hoping to build a case for amnesty based on people's desire for cheap services.
bus only lanes

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

People's desire for cheap services is what drives the landscaping industry. There were no residential landscpaers 25 years ago. If you wanted the lawn mowed you did it yourself. Or you paid your kid, or someone else's kid to do it.

Enter illegal immigrant labor...

Now, you can write a check for $120/month and your lawn is always mowed. The bring out three guys, it's done in half an hour, edged, mowed, weeds trimmed, done. If they had to pay the guys that do that job even $10/hour, what would they have to charge joe homeowner?$300? At some point, it becomes a real expense. It becomes something you have to question whether you really need it or not. But at $30/week, its nothing. An hour of your free time is worth more than $30.
Lawyers are scum

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Big Tuna wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing the down side to this story. Fewer landscapers means less lawnmowers running at 7 a.m. and trailers blocking my driveway.
No carnivals saves me a couple hundred on the villiage festival and another two hundred on the county fair. With the high cost of gas the ice cream truck hasn't been around yet either. Now if the mosquitos don't show up it will be a great summer!
I wonder if you will be singing the same tune, when you have to pay double or triple for your fruit and produce?
bus only lanes

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Paying twice as much for fruit and produce (which cost next to nothing anyway) in exchange for not having to support illegal immigrants, pay for their healthcare, teach their children english, plus 435,000/year to feed them and put a roof over their head when they get locked up for stealing my car for the third godd*mn time; not to mention not having to watch them them turn our neighborhoods into ghettos?

I'll be first in line to make THAT deal!!
Big Tuna

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Lawyers are scum wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if you will be singing the same tune, when you have to pay double or triple for your fruit and produce?
Yeah, the cheap labor shortage is going to kill the banana farmers in Minnesota.

The wider availability of imported fruits and vegetables has played an important role in pushing up consumption levels in the US. According to a recent USDA report, annual US imports of fresh fruit and vegetables surged from US$2.7bn to US$7.9bn between 1990-92 and 2004-06. During the same period, fruit consumption rose from 88.7 lbs to 101.2 lbs, while vegetable consumption climbed to 173.5lbs from 123.2lbs.

A major part of this rise has come from the growing popularity of exotic fruits like mangoes, pineapples and papayas, whose market share has doubled in just over a decade. By and large, fruit imports supplement, rather than replace American production, either because they are products not grown locally or because imports are limited to times of the year when there is no domestic production.

The rise in sales of imported vegetables – most of which hail from Mexico and Canada – has also come in response to consumer demand for year-round supplies. But recently, US farmers have started moving their operations out of the country for altogether different reasons. A government crackdown on illegal immigrants has left many large-scale vegetable farmers scrambling to find enough workers to harvest their crops and an increasing number of them are shifting production south of the border into Mexico, where labor is in cheap and plentiful supply.

While it is difficult to obtain precise figures on the extent of American farming interests in Mexico, one US senator, Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, claims to know of more than 46,000 acres that American growers are cultivating in just two Mexican states, Guanajuato and Baja California.

The effects of the clampdown on migrant workers are already starting to be felt in America’s agricultural heartland, where fears are mounting that many working in agriculture and supporting industries could lose their jobs if the exodus continues.

The erosion of national borders is part and parcel of today’s increasingly globalized food industry as producers chase cheaper sources of production. By moving to plug the tide of migrant workers from Central and South America, the US is simply speeding up the process.

And one man’s loss is another man’s gain. Foreign investors are pouring huge amounts of capital into the construction of state-of-the-art farms in Mexico whose output is trucked north of the border to satisfy the growing appetite for healthy food. The farmer is happy, the consumer is happy.

From: Americafruit http://www.americafruit.com/index.html
Cynical

Kingsbury, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

bus only lanes wrote:
People's desire for cheap services is what drives the landscaping industry. There were no residential landscpaers 25 years ago. If you wanted the lawn mowed you did it yourself. Or you paid your kid, or someone else's kid to do it.
Enter illegal immigrant labor...
Now, you can write a check for $120/month and your lawn is always mowed. The bring out three guys, it's done in half an hour, edged, mowed, weeds trimmed, done. If they had to pay the guys that do that job even $10/hour, what would they have to charge joe homeowner?$300? At some point, it becomes a real expense. It becomes something you have to question whether you really need it or not. But at $30/week, its nothing. An hour of your free time is worth more than $30.
If it's too expensive for you...don't get the service. If you can't afford a Mercedes, you buy a Honda. Yes, there will be less landscaping services (so what!!!!) but there will also be less "tax" on those of us who are doing our own lawns/landscaping. We won't have to "support" your cheap labor with free schooling and medical care etc..

YOU should be covering their expenses..not ME!
Not buying it

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Lawyers are scum wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly - why are our legislators cutting down on the number of visas, when we have a need for these legal workers. We should crack down on the number of illegal immigrants and increase the number of visas for seasonal and agricultural work.

Food prices will not go up much just because the workers are legal (which requires a different visa than mentioned in this article). Many students from other countries come here on seasonal visas to see the US, work at 6 Flags and the Dells and then return to their own countries. But Gutierrez can't stand to see that happen - he's holding these visas hostage for his pet amnesty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lake Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 12 min whatitis 3,914
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Cali Girl 2014 49,281
Animal Rescue Group: Man Charged with Arizona M... (Oct '12) Aug 20 Punish him good 3
Walmart Seeks Northbrook Location (Dec '12) Aug 20 Lake County Citizen 2
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) Aug 20 Weneedchange 147
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Aug 18 newpoly 1,898
Judge jay ukena (Mar '13) Aug 13 Observant 128

Search the Lake Bluff Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Lake Bluff Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lake Bluff People Search